Best substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragontamer13

Hatchling Member
Okay, sorry for all the topics I've been posting but i just need to know what's best for my beardie...right now i have sand, calci-sand, yay. I have been trying to convince my parents that its not good, pointing out that when chasing crickets, if he steps in the water bowl he gets clumps on his feet, but hey, they're going along with petco, which i also advised against...anyway what is the most effective ( and cost-effective ) substrate? I've heard that slate ( i think?) is good because you buy it once and then you're good...but i've also heard repti-carpet is good...so really what is the best? Again sorry for all the posts...but thanks for all the answers! :D So far I'm really enjoying my first beardie!

brittani299

Extreme Poster
Hello :) the sand is pretty bad. It harbors bacteria and can cause impaction. Reptile carpeting is good, newspaper, paper towles, or tiles. I use tiles. They are pretty cheap and easy to clean

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
I'm going with Slate for my viv. I've heard it keeps the nails worn, and the Repti-Carpet needs to be run through the wash every week opposed to a good scrub in the sink. Slate will also be easier to spot clean and it'll be impossible for an inquisitive beardie to get under it. For my 36 long and 18 wide viv it'll be three 18"x24" slate tiles at 10 dollars each. It'll be about 32 dollars for me to be set for 2 weeks. (That varies of course, the tile I'm getting is much pricier then the tile you could buy). You will need to cut the slate, either have your local home improvement to do it or if you have a tile cutter do it yourself.

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
We use big rock slobs over paper towels. Works well and is easy to clean. We bake the rocks if they need to be disinfected, and the paper towels are easily swapped out. We had brown paper towels in there, which looked much nicer, but the store stopped carrying them.

We found some awesome flat rock slabs at Home Depot, $6-8 each. The other rocks I found while hiking.

P1050757.JPG

w0554096

Juvie Member
Hi there,
I'd definately agree on tile. Unless something crazy happens, you literally only need to buy it once. It's easy to clean, keeps their nails filed, their nails can't get stuck on them, and they're cheap.
If you go to a local ReStore, or Habitat for Huminity type store, you should be able to get enough tile for any size enclosure for a buck or two. I got 3 almost full boxes of tile for under 10 bucks. (My vivs are 4x2) so I ended up with lots of lefever tile, but I have other projects planned for that. :)
Anyways, there are really cheap ways to get tile.

You can get them cut at a bunch of places. If HomeDepo type places won't cut them for you, or are charging alot, then call around to your local flooring stores. Their installers with have the tools, and most of them are nice enough to do it for you for free.

Lots of tiles now a days don't need a wet saw,so it shouldn't be difficult to cut them, or have them cut.

dragontamer13

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I guess it'll be tile! That's what I was leaning towards though anyway! I'm probably gonna wait until he gets his new cage, which should only be a month or so...but thanks!

dragontamer13

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
One question-how do i convince my parents? I know about the cost part since you virtually never replace tile, but other than that, what's the best way to go about it?

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Explain health benefits, cleanliness, ease of use. Compare it to the sand-sand you constantly have to replace. Most parents I know will take the cheapest option. It's also way more filthy, harbors all the icky things and has a chance to cause impactation which...well...no one wants. Once they see all the pros to tile and little to no cons, I don't see why they won't go for it. If they force the Petco thing, point out how Petco staff know the bare basics of keeping their animals, only enough to make the company a quick sale that will have people coming back for more.

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
I'd much rather clean up any mess off of tile.
CountofCasualty":3e8qwjot said:
Explain health benefits, cleanliness, ease of use. Compare it to the sand-sand you constantly have to replace. Most parents I know will take the cheapest option. It's also way more filthy, harbors all the icky things and has a chance to cause impactation which...well...no one wants. Once they see all the pros to tile and little to no cons, I don't see why they won't go for it. If they force the Petco thing, point out how Petco staff know the bare basics of keeping their animals, only enough to make the company a quick sale that will have people coming back for more.

Exactly.

Good questions dragontamer13!

dragontamer13

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks...he seems really happy and all that but the sand just wasnt sitting right and i KNOW not to trust petco...

Dementeddogz

Hatchling Member
Tile works great. We use tile in all of our cages, non sanded grout. Very easy to clean and will last for ever. Even someone with no tile experience can use their stick down groutable tile squares. They are the much ticker and higher grade stick down tiles and will do fine with the cage temps and you can tell the difference. I tend to use these more in my cages, look great, large selection and affordable prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom