Best Starter Snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nrich

most kingsnakes will eat frozen/thawed mice without any issue (and without any brain cutting). I have perfected the "zombie mouse dance" since I've had my king.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
ColoradoRiverRafter":d13db said:
Wow. And how big is Cu? I am thinking about a kingsnake. I don't mind feeding them mice, but I read that I might have to cut its head so its brain shows to get it to eat. :puke: Is this true. If so I am SO glad I am having dissection this year. :lol:
4ft exactly and 2300g. Just got her weighed at the vets last week. :D

I've tried the brain-exposing thing with dead mice during one of Cu's fasts and it didn't really help. I've always eventually been able to get her eating without cutting the mice open.

Haha I remember when I dissected a fetal pigs a few years ago. I accidentally split a vein while opening one up. All this colored liquid latex spilled everywhere, and it turned out my best friend was allergic to latex and somehow managed to get some of it in her eye. :roll: :lol: Well, have fun! Dissection was the highlight of my junior high years.

ColoradoRiverRafter

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Okay that is funnily scary. :lol: Yeah we get to dissect in 7th grade! I know that some of the girls in my class aren't gonna be able to handle it! :roll: My Mom might not let me get a snake that gets to be 4ft. Maybe she will. What kind of things will I need for a ball python?

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
ColoradoRiverRafter":2c944 said:
Okay that is funnily scary. :lol: Yeah we get to dissect in 7th grade! I know that some of the girls in my class aren't gonna be able to handle it! :roll: My Mom might not let me get a snake that gets to be 4ft. Maybe she will. What kind of things will I need for a ball python?
I did my first dissection in 7th grade, too. :) Don't worry, it's super fun. The formaldehyde really smells, but other than that not many people get queasy. You doing frogs?

It's easiest to keep BPs in plastic tubs or acrylic cages. Glass tanks are iffy. Some people say glass is a big no-no for BPs, but I've had one of mine in a glass tank for the past year. It's MUCH harder to keep the heat and humidity in, but if you can, it's fine. I do love tubs because they're so easy to clean and hold heat and humidity so well but I need one display cage that you can see from all sides, so I'm putting up with glass.

Really, all you need is a heat pad, a thermostat or rheostat (I prefer thermostats; they're safer and easier, but rheostats are cheaper), a cage, substrate (newspaper works fine), two hides, and a water dish. Cage size depends on the size of the adult. Most males will be fine in a 30gal long, but imo big females should be in no smaller than a 40gal breeder. If you use a tub, 45-50qt for snakes under 3.5', 60qt for snakes over 4'. BPs are mostly terrestrial and don't need much height. With hatchlings, it depends on age / size / preference. You may have to experiment a bit. If a young BP isn't eating, a too-big cage could very well be the problem. It's true that some snakes appreciate extra space, but BPs like it cozy.

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
I'd have to say it seems your biggest obstacles are:
1. your mom doesn't seem to like reptiles.
2. you are so all over the place on what you want.
3. Your a typical teen male and your brain is currently hooked on a chick who doesn't even like you.
4. You seem to be too busy asking other people to do your research.
Maybe it might be easier to wait a year or so until you're really ready mentally and physically to have a reptile.

DragonsInKansas

Sub-Adult Member
lacy_black":afd75 said:
I'd have to say it seems your biggest obstacles are:
1. your mom doesn't seem to like reptiles.
2. you are so all over the place on what you want.
3. Your a typical teen male and your brain is currently hooked on a chick who doesn't even like you.
4. You seem to be too busy asking other people to do your research.
Maybe it might be easier to wait a year or so until you're really ready mentally and physically to have a reptile.

Ouch

He has said he's doing his research, he's also said that he's not getting anything until next spring. So be nice.

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
Sorry but i've read all his posts (all 54) and time and time again he asks people to give him the info on this that or another reptile. Sometimes I come off as abrasive but I really meant more that maybe he should just wait, at 13 most kids are so all over the place instead of selecting 1 direction and following it to the end, his mom does seem to have alot of requirement (size food etc.) so it seems she's throwing up road blocks and he couldn't think because of some chick. Pets don't care about your lack of a love life or unrequited love so what will he do if he gets another "love" drama.

ColoradoRiverRafter

Juvie Member
Original Poster
:laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: Lacy...please calm down! Lol. Yes I am a little mixed up, but I am fine. I have been doing lots of research and I am trying to somehow clarify what I read would be good for my reptile. She probably likes me but I don't know for sure! I am gonna ask her and other people to go to a movie and see if that helps any. Calm down. Everything's under control. :D For the most part. Thank you!

mischa

Juvie Member
I hope you pick a ball!!! Mines the best thing that ever happened to me other than my beardie lol! :lol: P.S. balls are easy as sh** to take care of.

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Definitely work on getting your mom hooked! It's extremely helpful to have supportive parents in case of any kind of sickness or emergency that might occur with your herp. Reptile vets are just a wee bit expensive...

Any of the snakes listed would do fine as beginner snakes. Balls tend to be pickier eaters- but many, many, many people do quite well with them as first snakes. Corns will eat anything, but yeah, they squirm and they are quick on the draw. Corns were my first snakes.
Just depends on what you are more comfortable. Find a good reptile store, get to know the staff and owner if possible (seriously, this is absolutely invaluable!). Meet different snakes, see who suits you and your mom.

Also, I would tend to go a bit bigger with a cage than listed for ball earlier in this thread. I would recommend a 40g breeder. 30 for a corn.

Cornsnakes- generally don't top 5 ft and are skinny little guys, a bit bigger than a quarter
BPs (ball python)- generally don't top 5 ft, but are thick little buggers- bit thicker than a soda can
Kingsnakes- generally don't top 6 ft and are similar in build to the cornsnake (after all, both colubrids)

P.S.- I hope she likes you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom