best feeding schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edwtampa

Hatchling Member
i'm very inexperianced when it comes to bearies.i've had two now and they both died,both from terminal impaction.the first because there was sand in his enclosure,and the second because i think i overfed him.i'm determined to get things right this time and i would greatly appreciate it if an experiance handler could tell me what would be the perfect feeding schedule for a young beardie,anywhere from two to four weeks.i mean like what to feed them,when and on what days during a week.also i'd kind of appreciate a schedule on when i should say bathe him or just try to get him to drink water.i'd really appreciate any help anyone gives me because i don't want to keep killing beardies because i can't figure out how to feed them properly.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
So sorry to hear you lost two beardies. :( I will try and help you so that this does not happen again.
First of all... you do not want to use any type of loose particle substrate. It is not uncommon for the babies especially to ingest the sand, walnut shells, etc.. while eating or just exploring their surroundings(they explore with their tongues licking anything in sight).
Second... it is very hard to overfeed a young beardie. On the other hand.. feeding them live feeders that are not appropriately sized for them can lead to impaction. General rule of thumb is nothing bigger than the space between the beardies eyes.
Young beardies require alot of protein the first year of life, since this is when they do most of their growing. A baby beardie should be fed live feeders 2-3 times a day. Allow them to eat as many feeders as they can in a 10-15 minute period of time. Some babies can eat up to 100(appropriately sized) crickets in one day. Along with the live feeders they should also get a fresh salad daily, consisting mostly of a dark leafy green such as collard or mustard greens.
Beardies also require vitamin supplements. Baby beardies should have calcium dusted on their feeders once a day, 5 x a week and a multivitamin dusted on their feeders once a day 2 x a week.
As far as bathing your beardie... the babies can become easily dehydrated, so when they are fairly young, they should or can be bathed every day or every other day. Beardies do not always drink from standing water, this is why bathing them is so important. When bathing you only need enough warm water in a sink or small container to cover their legs(up to their armpits). They absorb moisture through their vents. A good 15-20 minute soak is sufficient.
Hope this helps! :D
If you have any other questions... feel free to ask!

Edwtampa

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thank you dawn!you have no idea how much i really do appreciate it.i think you covered it all very nicely.i'm glad to know you can't overfeed a beardie if the crix are small enough.maybe that was my problem,the crix were a little big,and i only fed my last beardie one or two crix three times a week.and it's good to know it's okay to bath them everyday.so i want to make sure,i let the little one eat as much as they can two or three times every day?or just feed one day,skip a day,feed again and so on?

Edwtampa

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ah,great!okay...i didn't know you were suppost to let them gorge so many times a day,i thought because they were desert creatures they didn't need so much...what should i have in the salad aside from the dark greens?any other veggies or fruits?

Edwtampa

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
oooh,perfect...and i just want to be really certain i got this.i let the beardie gorge itself for 10-15 minutes atleast 2 times a day?i'm really scared i might misinterpret what your telling me and it might cost me another beardie,so i want to be sure.

Edwtampa

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
okay!that is a lot of crickets.is it okay if i have bigger crickets,but i cut them into like thirds or half before i feed them to the beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom