best feeder for ~8 month old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everone! I've had my beardie for almost eight months, and I was just wondering what the best thing to feed him would be. I currently feed him crickets, but he eats SO MANY of them at once so I end up going to the pet store twice a week buying over 100 crickets every time (what an expense haha). Is there a better, cheaper alternative that I can get at petsmart?
also the crickets smell bad and die quickly even if i put water crystals and food… any suggestions?

Mysty

Juvie Member
As far as I'm aware the crickets are cheapest.

However, in answer to your question a mix of livegood is best. This excludes waxworms and meal worms and includes dubai roaches, locusts, crickets, silk worm, bsf/calciworm.

I use staple of locusts and dubai with 5 morios every other week but morios are only OK for adult/over 16inch dragons.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Buy online. It will save you HUNDREDS of dollars!!! I buy both crickets and dubias online. In fact, I just finished by 1k dubias for $30 + free shipping! Look around: ebay, personal websites, craigslist, or other classifieds are sure to turn up something!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
For my money I reckon silkworms are hard to beat, followed by roaches and crickets as the daily feeders an 8 month old.

Buy the crickets and roaches online in bulk (maybe 1000 per order) .
Buy the silkworms as eggs and hatch them and rear them to feeder size (med 2in and large 3in and bigger for an 8 month old) yourself (beats paying maybe $1 per worm , especially if you have access to a few big mulberry trees). Let some of the adult worms (20 - 30 say) pupate and become moths ,and harvest their eggs (each female silkworm moth will lay about 400 eggs , which can be kept dormnant for several months in the fridge in a sealed bottle or ziplock bag), never need to buy silkworms again .....

halpern07

I have an 8 month old as well and I buy the Dubia's in bulk online. I couldn't keep 60 crickets alive long enough (maybe 3 days) and felt like I was always in the pet store buying them. I buy the Medium Dubia's and although they seem to be a bit more in price, they last alot longer (it is hard to kill them), I also supplement with silk worms and smaller horn worms. The vet said to take her down to one feeding a day, so I alternate greens and bugs so that helped too, I thought I was going to go broke feeding her.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
halpern07":bivkkinj said:
I have an 8 month old as well and I buy the Dubia's in bulk online. I couldn't keep 60 crickets alive long enough (maybe 3 days) and felt like I was always in the pet store buying them. I buy the Medium Dubia's and although they seem to be a bit more in price, they last alot longer (it is hard to kill them), I also supplement with silk worms and smaller horn worms. The vet said to take her down to one feeding a day, so I alternate greens and bugs so that helped too, I thought I was going to go broke feeding her.

Same!! The few times I attempted 1k crickets, they were all dead in two weeks. 1k dubias can last me a month, and are fairly cheap and good feeders.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
JessPets":1wmneql3 said:
halpern07":1wmneql3 said:

Same!! The few times I attempted 1k crickets, they were all dead in two weeks. 1k dubias can last me a month, and are fairly cheap and good feeders.

I regularly order in 700 - 800 crickets.
first thing I do with them is divide them up into 9 - 10 x 2L cricket tubs (I have a horde of these from when I was buying crickets from petshops in tubs - these are cleaned before use), I put maybe 70 crickets in each tub.
I give them a hand full (8 - 10) dry RepCal adult beardie pellets to eat per tub
I give them a fresh chunk of carrot to eat and this is also their source of water.
I keep the tubs in a cardboard cricket tub bulk order box in the kitchen/dining room (about 24 - 26 degC)

Every 2 - 3 days I check the crickets and replace the carrot and top up the pellets, any dead crickets are removed.

A few days before I'm ready to feed the crickets to the lizards I add buk or puk choi greens to gut load them.

I can keep my crickets going OK for over a month. I avoid buying adult crickets , restricting myself to 2/3 size crickets (they become adult crickets in 2 - 3 weeks) .

Crickets are easy to keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom