best diet not including live food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive found that its probably cheaper to go with veggies fruits and supposedly pellets? right now i have him eating bell peppers, raddish, squash, kale, collards, banana, grapes, strawberries, berries, snow peas, green beans and carrots. i may have forgot a few. now im curious what i could feed him as a staple food because im trying to feed live more for a treat because its just easier without feeding live. im going to be a pain in the ass and could someone give me a good diet of foods he can eat. for example baby food, dry bearded dragon food, fruits, veggies, etc.

djmeagher18

Original Poster
also are there any frozen vegetables or people food he can eat? i basicaly want to know everything he can eat that isnt live food.

Erok000

Hatchling Member
I believe your beardie is still gonna need some sort of live food or protien source. :study: I may be wrong, but they arent vegatarians. Im curious are you not wanting to feed him live food because of you not wanting to do the work involved? :?

djmeagher18

Original Poster
no ive fed him live food veggies and fruits. im tight on money. also when i feed live i like to buy in bulk but i live in an apartment complex that doesnt allow reptiles so its hard to keep a bunch of noisey crickets in one of my rooms. also roaches are illegal in florida. im still going to feed him worms and hes still going to get his crickets but im trying to do live food every other week or so. i have 4 reptiles right now so doing the work isnt an issue its more trying to be sneaky and save money. ya i know its illegal having them here dont yell at me please haha

FuzzyNavel

Quick question. How old is he? Even adult bearded dragons need live prey. The need the protein just like us. Live prey every other week is simply too far apart between feedings, especially if it is a young dragon (still growing.) If he is an adult then you can get away with a live feeding every 3 or 4 days. (maybe 50-60 large crickets/week) Live prey should make up 20% of an adult beardies diet. The rest can be assorted veggies and fruit. If he is younger, then live prey every day is a must. Usually 2-3 times/day actually. 80% of a young bearded dragons diet should be protein. If you are strapped for cash try ordering bulk superworms online. It is much cheaper and superworms can live up to a year.

koilover512

Hatchling Member
you can always start a Dubia roach colony. Thats what i'm doing. They are less noisy, smelly and are a better feeders than crickets. It may take a while to get it up and going but in the end you can save a lot of money with it. You should really look into it.

FishboneNC

Hatchling Member
dj, I read your past posts and found he's a juvi or youngster.
Young beardies need lots protein, veggies are good for them but I don't think there is any protein in them.

Phoenix worms are also an excellent choice...I get mine from georgiacrickets.com
There's a guy in the "For Sale" section selling crickets very reasonable...$14 for 1000.

Where did you get that 'stack of skulls'??

djmeagher18

Original Poster
ya ive had him eating crickets, reptiworms, pheonix worms, silk worms, super worms and veggies n fruits. and i know its not the best for em but i give him a pinkie a month. and i got em from a pet supplies plus store in the aqautic section

djmeagher18

Original Poster
he never fully digests his silkworms but his cage has perfect temperatures and he digests everything else he eats just not silk worms.

smeegy

I give my beardie the pellets! Good ole Zilla brand. My guy loves them, it took him a couple of days to realize that it was his food and that's all he was going to get for his food. I live in a small apartment too and the crickets are loud and incredibly stinky :puke: like..smelled the place up. Breeding roaches in an apartment just sounds..bad..
The pellets are designed to be the beardies primary and says not to add any vitamins or minerals to it as it already has it in the pellets and live food and veggies can be given as a treat. I still give my Rocko salad everyday because he just loves it

Erok000

Hatchling Member
I still think they deserve live food as needed. If you cant provide what they need then you shouldnt have them. But thats my opinion. Mistreating them for reasons making it better for you is neglecting them. To each their own I guess. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom