Bert and Ernie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Denise Bushnell":dfad1 said:
Some advice for the poster above, just keep those connected little ones with you, and love them and care for them for as long as God allows.
:D
Denise Bushnell":dfad1 said:
The love that you give them and that you get in return will enrich your life so much....
That is by no way an understatement. :wink:

:wave: Lytruong welcome to the site! :D

As for "Bert & Ernie?" Good questions. :( I to noticed that Jamie made some changes to her website leaving out Bert & Ernie. :roll: May the Dragon God be with those precious little girls.

oh yes I'm going to love them. No matter how many mini heart attacks they give me!!! Last night they kept flipping on their back! Then they stop. This morning they sucked in their bellies as if they died and I was going to cry my eyes out. Then all of a sudden they moved and started breathing!!!!!

Gosh darn it!

Well I found out that it is the parents that has this abnomalities in their gene because my husband broke open the other two eggs that looks like rot. Well low and behold! they are siamese of some sort.

1st one has one head, 7 legs and two tails. two sets of back legs, one set of front legs and a leg on the middle of the back.
2nd one has two heads, connected at the jaw and eye.

So sad!!
The parents has another clutch hatching late Sept, early oct. I really don't want anymore of them. Its a blessing and a curse. The stress they have from being different and the extra handling.

Pics at http://www.beardies09.weebly.com

Denise Bushnell (RIP)

Juvie Member
Retired Moderator
I'm so sorry that this clutch was so disastrous for you, and I can only imagine how terrible you must feel. The little two-headed one is just adorable, but I looked at the photos of the others on your site that didn't make it, and the photos were just heartbreaking.... Please tell me that they were born dead, and didn't suffer. Were there any normal babies in the clutch that hatched?

In any case, I would say that you're probably correct in thinking that one or both of the parents must have defective genes of some sort. I certainly wouldn't breed either of them again, if I were you, and especially not to each other!

You mentioned that you will have another clutch hatching sometime in September. Are they from the same parents? If so, (and even though it makes me feel awful to suggest this) it might be kinder to remove them from their incubator, and just freeze the eggs, rather than allowing them to hatch, unless there is some way to tell if the babies inside are normal.

I feel terrible even suggesting that to you, but after seeing the photos of those that didn't make it, and how terribly they were deformed, that might be the kindest thing for you to do.

WARNING: If any of the rest of you want to look at these pix, they are really graphic, and
although I don't shock easily, they made me cry over what could have been....

Do any of the rest of you agree with me, or am I totally out of line for even suggesting this?
This is just so, so sad......

The ones that didn't make it, are dead in the eggs. Out of 25 eggs, 2 eggs are like slugs, two are the ones that didn't make it and 1 is the live two headed beardie.
The rest of them are normal as can be. Nothing is wrong with them, eating well too. Parents are citrus tiger and citrus tiger mix.

This is the first time the pair has ever bred. They aren't breeding again until I figure out where the gene is coming from. Which is the hard part.

The 2nd clutch is the last clutch the mother has laid for this season breeding. I am hoping she is not going to lay another clutch.

The twins are both drinking alittle, just litle a droplet of water per mouth. They are so tiny I don't want to stress them.

As for freezing them I would like to but my husband on the other hand is not agreeing to this.

I'm on the emotional side :-/

Denise Bushnell (RIP)

Juvie Member
Retired Moderator
Well, if most of the babies are normal, and healthy, then I agree with your husband. It wouldn't be right or fair to freeze the entire clutch that is due in September. I'm totally against abortion, which is sort of the same thing, in a way.....unless there is some type of a terrible problem that can't be fixed after a baby is born.

And the little twins have a really good chance of survival, I think, because of the way that they're joined. They remind me of Zak & Wheezie and Bert & Ernie, when they were tiny, since they seem be be joined in the same way, for the most part, although I guess only an X-ray could tell for sure. And knowing that the ones that didn't make it never hatched, makes me feel much better about it. At least they didn't hatch only to suffer for a day or two, and then die. I guess sometimes nature has a way of correcting her own mistakes.

Who knows....maybe this next clutch will all be normal and healthy, if we all say our prayers and keep our fingers crossed!

Whatever happens, we're all here to support you, and to help in any way we can, even if it's just to listen and offer encouragement as they grow. And we know that, just like Barbara, you will make sure to give the new little twins the care that they need, and lots and lots of love. As we've seen with our little Evie, and with Barbara's Zak & Wheezie, with love anything is possible! Please keep the pictures coming, and keep us updated on how they're doing, as they grow.

I'm hoping they will be 100% normal. I can not be like my husband and break open eggs that will not hatch. He makes me cry when he does this.

He decided to freeze the twins and I argued with him about it. I have already spent alot of time with them making sure they survive the first night and make sure they survive all nights and day! He has no right to save them and decide to kill them!

They are well and has not flipped since the first night. They drank and ate alittle yesterday. They also drank alittle this morning. I'm going to try giving them a little baby food later. Hope they go potty today or tomorrow :)

They are really active even through the left head doesn't seem to be reacting very quickly they seem well.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Sweetie I wish you the best of luck convincing your hubby. I agree if he was going to decide that it should have already happened. I can't imagine the frustation you must be feeling right now. Hang in there Ly...
Luckily even though I did think the thought of freezing even though I couldn't once I looked into their little eyes so precious...my hubby was very supportive of me and my little mission to attempt keeping my miracles alive.
Of course one of my greatest motivators was probably that someone told me I couldn't do it. I'm one of those rebel 60's babies that don't like being told they can not do something. :wink:

Wavedancer I'm sorry we seemed to have hijacked your thread... :oops: if it's a problem please let us know we had no intent to upset anyone. :wink:

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hello
I just wanted to hop on and wish you the best of luck.I really hope you can change your husbands mind.First because I think these two have a great chance at survival and two because freezing them is not painless to them contrary what many think it isnt a peaceful exit trust me on that.
I am wondering do you know the parents lineage?Any chance they could be related?That could be a possible reason why this occurred.You can have 2 beardies that are perfectly fine genetically but if they are closely related this could be the result.Anyway good luck and thank you for keeping us posted on these little ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom