Belly color

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizbee

Juvie Member
OK here's my question...Boga has some black lines in her white belly and is a little darker than usual. Is this because of the colder weather? I upped her temps to 102 (temp gun) and she avoids her basking spot like it's too hot now. Shes 3 1/2 years old. She has had these lines most of her life, I didn't think they were stress related untill I read a post that said their bellies should be all white?

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
Sounds like stress marks. Can you give us a runthrough of your caretaking habits?

Basking spot temp?
Gradient temps?
Substrate?
UVB Bulb?
Basking Spot Bulb?
Food?
Supplements?

Etc...

wizbee

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well ok

Basking 102 cool 78-76
tile
crickets dusted with the right stuff
argula, squash, edible flowers.....
bathing right now outside in natural florida sunshine and water pool (see pic avatar)
reptisun 10 but usually natural sunshine at least 30 minutes a day

she has always had the black markings on her belly. I'll try to get a pic after her soaking.

Do you think she is getting ready to Burmate? and thats why she is staying away from the heat?

As for the stress marks
I got a baby about 2 months ago she had a dark belly all day everyday, I had a bird in the same room and took him out and within minutes no more stress marks another of my beadies does not like to be near a window she will get the dark spots! Can you think of anything that would be causing her stress near her cage? can she see another beardie? an animal? etc...
Have you tried giving her more variety with her feeders like worms?

wizbee

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So you think the markings are stress marks? She can't see any other animals. She has never brumated, she isn't dark on top or her beard, just thoses patterns on her belly. I always thought they were markings?

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
They are just markings. For some reason people seem to think they are stress marks and they maybe in some beardies. I think the markings on their bellies are just that. My Zoom Zoom's belly markings go away after she warms up in the morning. I did notice her getting dark one night about an hour or so before her lights were due to go out for the night. Speedy on the other hand, her markings last a little longer. Neither one seems stressed out. Zoom has started to glass dance a little. I guess she wants to roam. I don't like to let her roam much because my house is colder as it is winter and I don't use propane any more.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Terri,

I agree, sometimes, they can have stress marks, while other times they seem to have them just when they are thermoregulating.
Your setup looks fine to me. Has it been cold there yet?
If she has never brumated before then she might be trying to do so this year.
You are in florida so the weather is back & forth a bit. We are in florida too, so I know how the weather is. She could still try to brumate though & at her age that is fine.
I wouldn't raise her temps though, they are fine where they are. Adults usually don't like it real hot anyway, at least mine don't seem to anyway.
You could maybe increase the cooler temps to 78-82 or so, maybe that would help her out a little bit.

Tracie

wizbee

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Tracie, I hoped it was just her markings but I am reading too many bad endings lately. Yes I am in Jacksonville so the weather today is going to be in the 70's but it has been in the 30's already. Flip flopping weather you know is normal for us here. Yesterday she got out in the sun and loved it. I'll try to get the temps back where she likes it. I am using a 75 watt now but in the summer I use a 60 watt reg house bulb for her heat. Thanks again. Happy Holidays!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom