Behavior while shedding!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shimmeriing

Hatchling Member
Does they're behavior change while shedding!? Jasper seems really lazy..not as active. I'm trying to figure out if it's because he's shedding or maybe his UVB light is going bad. He didn't eat much of anything today, and I hand fed his crickets to him. He had no interest in getting them himself..but he was all about the super worm.
Any insight would be great. Thanks.

Neromom39

Gray-bearded Member
Yep, shedding can make them cranky. Eating will more than likely be affected and mine will usually find one spot to sit in and not move all day. Are you bathing your dragon? If not, bathing him will not only keep him hydrated, it will help the shedding process and perk him up a bit. I think it eases the itchy a little :)

shimmeriing

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sounds like him. lol. He'll bask, but lately he lays under his log a lot.
He does get baths, not daily tho. I handle him the most, so he's not cranky to me..but when my daugther goes by the cage he'll puff out his beard.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
shimmeriing":aa869 said:
Sounds like him. lol. He'll bask, but lately he lays under his log a lot.
He does get baths, not daily tho. I handle him the most, so he's not cranky to me..but when my daugther goes by the cage he'll puff out his beard.

If he's lying under the log a lot, you might want to make sure/rule out other issues. This can be a sign of many things and while shedding might cause this temporarily, if it's happening frequently, and the lethargy is on-going, there is possibly something going on with the husbandry.

Which UVB are you using, and how old is it? Specific as to TYPE (coil, compact, tube, MVB) and BRAND (ReptiSun, ReptiGlo, ESU, etc) would be most helpful.

How old is Jasper, and what size is he?

What is the size of tank, source of heat and temps in the tank (basking, ambient and cool side)? What are you using to gauge temps?

How much is Jasper eating, live feeders specifically?

Being that you've logged 123 posts on the site, I imagine you've got your husbandry in order, but I thought is best to check, just in case. :D

That should get us started.

Thanks!
Em

shimmeriing

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes, I'm pretty aware of my viv, and what it should be.
He's shedding, and I wanted to know if this would affect his personality because he's been doing it the past few days. He's alert..but just lays under the log. He'll come out and bask..he didn't eat much veggies yesterday. He's all about the super worms..but didn't bother to get his crickets on his own. He ate them out of my hand.
I have another viv, I'm planning to transfer him to..it's a 50 gal. I'm having a hard time finding a fixture for the 48' repti sun.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
shimmeriing":f86b8 said:
Yes, I'm pretty aware of my viv, and what it should be.

I figured as much. :D

He's shedding, and I wanted to know if this would affect his personality because he's been doing it the past few days. He's alert..but just lays under the log. He'll come out and bask..he didn't eat much veggies yesterday. He's all about the super worms..but didn't bother to get his crickets on his own. He ate them out of my hand.
I have another viv, I'm planning to transfer him to..it's a 50 gal. I'm having a hard time finding a fixture for the 48' repti sun.

You know, my son and I talk about this all the time, what it must feel like to be too big for your skin... YIKES! Our girl actually goes on big eating frenzies when she's getting ready to shed and during the shed, particularly the bugs. It's almost as if she wants to get as big as she can so she can more quickly bust open that skin. LOL And well, she does a fair job of that. :wink:

The best. Hope he's back to himself soon.

Em

shimmeriing

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I was all worried, that's when I posted this thread to make sure..my boyfriend's like can you imagine what it's like to shed? So it's funny that you said that! he's like i know if we shedded like that, I wouldn't want to eat.
He's MUCH more himself today..this morning..he laid under the log. But he ate some vegs..found a cricket and ate it..must've been hiding from yesterday. lol. He's currently jumping around..on and off the log..and rubbing his head up on he glass.
He's definitely a lot more plump since I've had him. YAY. :D Thanks!

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
shimmeriing":a3100 said:
I was all worried, that's when I posted this thread to make sure..my boyfriend's like can you imagine what it's like to shed? So it's funny that you said that! he's like i know if we shedded like that, I wouldn't want to eat.
He's MUCH more himself today..this morning..he laid under the log. But he ate some vegs..found a cricket and ate it..must've been hiding from yesterday. lol. He's currently jumping around..on and off the log..and rubbing his head up on he glass.
He's definitely a lot more plump since I've had him. YAY. :D Thanks!

Oh, that's great news. Glad he's feeling better today. And the "plumping up" is such a good sight, yes? Our girl got off to a slow start (no) thanks to a poor UVB, and she is now growing and plump and I just love adoring her fatty beardie look. :mrgreen:

The best,
Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom