Beardy pooping 5x per day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is a problem or not but my beardie has always pooped 3x per day since he was 4 weeks old. Which I've always been curious about but he seems healthy, active, large appetite so I've never concerned myself with it too much. But today, he's gone 5x already. And these are not small poo's they are his normal sized poo's. A little liquidy, but well formed, and there are always urates. Does this seem unhealthy to you guys? Or do I just happen to have a beardie w/ an extremely healthy, fast digestive system? I'm only worried that he may be pooing out everything he eats kind of like us when we're sick, we retain nothing. Any advice, suggestions would be most appreciated.

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardednoob":144gyxj2 said:
Basking temperature?
UV source?
Diet?

103-108
Reptisun 10.0 tube mounted inside 40 gallon breeder
Varied diet as he will only eat so much of one thing at a time: medium dubias, medium crickets, few micro super's.
Collard greens mixed with peas and green beans, and few carrots. He won't eat the carrots though, only the collards and peas. Bananas as a Saturday treat.

JessLC

Hatchling Member
It sounds like a growth spirt. How old is he?
Mine was doing the exact same thing and then she had a shed and shot up an inch.
She's between 4-5 months old. :mrgreen:

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardednoob":10cfszns said:
Did he have banana yesterday?
Is he eating as much is coming out?

Yes he had banana yesterday, he gets it every Saturday. He only eats about 3 pinkie nail sized pieces though. He is eating more than is coming out, I would have to guess. He eats about 20 small to medium dubias, 6-8 medium to large crickets, and recenlty lowered his superworm intake to 5-10 micro superworms per feeding, twice a day.

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
JessLC":do87b09a said:
It sounds like a growth spirt. How old is he?
Mine was doing the exact same thing and then she had a shed and shot up an inch.
She's between 4-5 months old. :mrgreen:

He is between 4-5 months old, at 13 inches. Right now he's in a full body shed and a tad grumpy. The 3x per day has always seemed a bit strange to me, so when he went 5x today I freaked out a lil lol. I hope it is just growth and/or that he has a fast digestive system. Just hope he's getting enough nutrition from his food before he poo's it all out!

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
I would say he is just digesting fast. But, I am not 100% sure.
If the feces looks "normal" then i wouldn't worry. The only positive way to tell is a fecal/blood test, if they were both clean then it is just his normal schedule. My youngest dragon eats like a pig too, he will often poop 2-3 times a day. Again I wouldn't really worry.

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardednoob":3h9x3719 said:
If the feces looks "normal" then i wouldn't worry. The only positive way to tell is a fecal/blood test, if they were both clean then it is just his normal schedule. My youngest dragon eats like a pig too, he will often poop 2-3 times a day. Again I wouldn't really worry.

I've never had a blood test ran on him, but his last fecal, which was a little less than two weeks ago, came back negative for parasites..other than the normal. I appreciate your replies, I won't worry about it so long everything else is normal. I might have a blood test ran on him next time I go in for a fecal just to be sure.

Thanks again! :)

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Linziehonn":39sqohou said:
Beardednoob":39sqohou said:

I've never had a blood test ran on him, but his last fecal, which was a little less than two weeks ago, came back negative for parasites..other than the normal. I appreciate your replies, I won't worry about it so long everything else is normal. I might have a blood test ran on him next time I go in for a fecal just to be sure.

Thanks again! :)

If the fecal was clean, I wouldn't unless other issues arise. Blood work, needles can be very stressful on a dragon.

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Gotcha! I know they stress me out and I understand what they are, couldn't imagine what they'd do to my little one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom