Beardies only want Silkworms!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoltzs1

Hi there,

My Beardies use to go crazy for roaches. Since the silkworm season started, I tried silkworms in their diet. Now they go bananas for silkworms and not eating roaches anymore, you can leave the roaches for an hour and they will not touch them. Then they will start scratch the cage glasses, then I give them silkworms and they eat everything within 5min. The question I have is...will they eat roaches again when the silkworm season stops? And if not, what should I do?

Thanks

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Fussy little things aren't they :) I dont know the answer but am bumping this in case someone else will. My gut reaction is that it depends on the beardie, some are very stubborn. You could try only offering roaches for a while and see if they give in. (sorry not very helpful i know).

Hope you find the answer. :D

Well, the Beardie Book I started with told the sad story of a dragon who got hooked on wild-caught grasshoppers and actually starved to death rather than go back to store-bought insects... so I'd start dealing with this sooner rather than later. I'm just not sure how.

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Hmmm, maybe you could only offer silkworms on certain days - although they may just go on hunger strike on the days in between :(
If you do struggle with feeding and things get desperate you can resort to babyfood - chicken and squash with a tiny bit of water - dripped onto your beardies snout with a needless syringe. This may even break the silkworm cycle and get them back onto roaches. I agree with the above, you need to deal with it before it becomes a real neccesity(sp?).

BlueDevil

Hatchling Member
I tried Silkworms last month for a week to give my colony a break. I did toss a couple of Dubias with Silkworms in a feeding dish and those were eaten too. When I switched back to just Dubias she continued on eating them without any hesitation. You could always try that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom