Beardies, cats and baths......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I'm fairly new on here and so far I've received great info and advice from everyone. We got Spike a couple of months ago, he's 5 years old and fantastic!

But I have two big questions; 1st - We have three cats. Heathcliff is 17 years old and really couldn't care less about Spike. Shadow is 15 years old and cranky, I think he may be scared of Spike as he hisses and backs away from him. The baby, Painter, well she's 2 years old and still very curious. She will walk right up and go nose to nose with Spike, then she'll back up and try to swat him (not with her nails though). So here's the question; Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the cats used to Spike, enough that we don't have to guard him every time he's out of his viv? Also, I worry about the cats touching him and then licking them selves, can they get salmonella like that? Do I need to sanitize everywhere he walks before the cats walk where he did?

2nd question - bath time.... Spike doesn't really move around in the tub, he tends to just close his eyes and relax. I put him in, and of course he has a poo and wants out right away. I change the water and put him back in, and he just sits there. He will sometimes move around a little, but not much. He seems to like it, but he always looks like he's gonna have a nap in there, lol. I thought they loved to run around in the tub? The people we got him from said he loved his baths. Any ideas?

jirish617

Hatchling Member
the cats i cant help with because i dont have any...

but as far as the bath, not all bearded dragons 'love' them. Some swim some dont, Lenny just sits there and looks around, does his business then lets himself out. You don't have to put him back in after spike has done his work. I assume your bathing daily just because you said spike goes to the bathroom in there, he should be fine with the amount of hydration he is getting when he is in there if your doing it daily.

shyestblossom

Original Poster
We usually bath him 2-3 a week, he does his business in his viv when he doesn't in the bath. The people that we got him from said he would run around, so I'm just wondering if maybe I'm making the water too hot or cold.

Cats- Just like any predator and potential prey, there will never be a time when you don't have to protect Spike. Honestly, it's easier to ban the cats from the room altogether when you have Spike out to roam around. As far as salmonella goes I wouldn't worry about it too much. Salmonella is always a concern with reptiles, but it's been a bit hyped up in terms of its ability to spread. Your cats should be fine in that regard. :)

Bath time- every dragon enjoys (or loathes) bath time in their own unique way. Some of mine go limp and practically comatose in a warm soak. Some will splash around and lick at the ripples. Some will do everything they can to get out the second their feet touch the water. Spike going into relaxation mode is a great thing in my opinion. It's not all that entertaining to watch (though I still have about 10,000 pictures of soaking dragons), but it means that he is enjoying himself and not getting stressed. He poops and soaks up hydration at the same time which means you know he is digesting properly and doing well! :)

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
Cat's are true carnivores, meaning that ideally their diet consists of less than 2% plant or vegetable matter. Their digestive system is more than capable of handling the salmonella on the outside (and also the inside) of a dragon or other reptile or amphibian. But, being true carnivores, you don't want to leave them unattended with your BD, especially if he is less than full grown. As easily as your cat could hurt your beardie though, a beardie bite could do serious damage to a curious kitty.

Just something to think about...

shyestblossom

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, I'll definatly be keeping an eye on Spike with the cats around! And it's great knowing that they are safe from the salmonella and his bath time is normal!

dragongirl95

Juvie Member
the only advice i can offer is to just let the cat look at him when he inside the cage. my cat has always had reptiles around him so i never had a problem with him and the beardies he coddle right up with them

Valerie

Sub-Adult Member
I would never let my former cat in the room while I had my beardie out but I did let the cat in the room while I had my beardie wrapped up in her blankie on my chest going to sleep for the night. I did not think anything of it. The cat was dosing near me on the bed and all was well. ALL OF THE SUDDEN, out of the blue the cat had Sizzle's tail in it's mouth!! I was trying to pull the cat away from my poor beardie.
Sizzle ahd a bad bite on her tail, I was so scared, I posted it on the health section, I believe. After a while she was lucky and only lost a very small section { i/4 inch] of her tail off, about 1 inch lower than the bite. I am guessing the cat bit a nerve or something. Sizzle was so stressed out, it took awhile before she started to eat again.
I am telling you this so you will know NEVER to trust your cats. I did not trust the cat around Sizlle but even when my guard was down it could have taken my BD life. We are so lucky she did not get some type of infection that would have killed her. It is not worth even trying to get them to get along.Vvalerie

shyestblossom

Original Poster
Thanks all.... I was thinking it probably wasn't a good idea, but now I know it's not! I've been letting Spike wander around in the living room but I keep the cats well away from him, especially the youngest, she's waaaayyy too curious for her own good :?

kimbasmom

Juvie Member
I have had cats and birds for several years and have also had cats and beardies. My advice would be to watch them very closely, no matter what. When I had all the older kitties (ranging in age from 7-12, and then older as the years went on), they were very "meh" about the birds. They knew the words "Mommy's bird STOP!" when one would get out (from the smallest finch to my pionus parrot). And they obeyed, though there were the occasional "eating eyes" directed at the cage.

Now, we have the "war kittens" (about 2), a former feral (about 4), and an old stray we adopted (12-14), and with the exception of the old guy, they are all about the things that flutter and move.

My kitties are more fascinated by the beardies. Kimba is in a huge 4'x2' custom built viv in the living room and they sit there and watch him and he'll go nose-to-nose with them through the glass doors. Little Artemis (our new girl who just arrived), seems just as curious about them as they are about her, but again, extreme supervision.

I do believe that they know, and if you make it clear that the beardie/parrot is "Mommy's" or "Daddy's", then they understand ownership. So it helps to also consistently set those boundaries.

Remember, parrots or lizards...these guys are technically prey animals for bigger predators, no matter how ferociously our beardies chomp their dubia. Being under intense prey scrutiny will stress them out, or it has the potential to. So make sure all interactions are supervised very closely and if the kitties get too interested, it might be good to banish them to a room, especially if you're going to let your beardie roam free for a bit.

Hope this helps! Each cat and each beardie is different (and each parrot). So you have to take the personalities of your own pets into consideration.

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
I myself have introduced my beardie to most animals in my life. Several cats, a few dogs, I've never had any problem. Most of the time it ends with the other animal being terrified of the lizard after getting licked on the nose by it.

My theory is that while cats are predators the beardies natural indifference serves it better than anything else! I mean mine doesn't move around, doesn't care about cat's or dogs, and thereby doesn't seem to trigger the "prey" reflex, by flinching or running away from them.
That being said of course the cats and dogs were curious. Really curious. You just have to watch them and make sure they understand NO BITES!
My sisters Bulldogs now love the lizard so much they lick him endlessly without biting!

As for cats, to introduce them I usually hold them in one hand semi-restrained, and then slowly bring the lizard up to their face, so he STARTS out as being "larger" or whatever and coming at their head, NOT being found on the floor and inviting curiousness. Then I just usually hold them like that till they calm down and go on their merry way.

Note to everyone: CATS DO NOT LIKE BEING LICKED ON THE NOSE BY A BEARDIE. It puts the beardie fear of god into them.

Thats my two cents i guess

shyestblossom

Original Poster
So all the cats have been "introduced" to Spike. Shadow, 15 year old male, stays as far away from him as possible and if Spike gets too close he just hisses and runs away. Heathcliff, 17 year old male, actually came nose to nose with Spike. He sniffed him and then walked away. The other day he was sitting in the living room watching Spike run around, he wasn't too interested until Spike bolted and ran over his tail, lol. He jumped, sat back down and then just kept walking. Painter, 2 year old female, is super curious. Whenever Spike is out she follows him everywhere. If she gets too close I just have to call her, firmly, and she backs off. The other day he "tasted" her fur, she wasn't impressed, lol. She does try to touch him, and I let her as long as there are no claws involved, so far she's been really good. I think I've decided that as long as Spike is not left alone with the cats, that they're ok in the same room. The cats just need to know that "mom" is still the boss! Thanks for all the advice everyone!!!!

shyestblossom":dfqoobtt said:
. The cats just need to know that "mom" is still the boss! Thanks for all the advice everyone!!!!

Just be very, very careful!! I'd be very leary letting cats especially a young one close to beardie. Cats are quick, beardie could be lunch before you know it! I love cats, but am well aware the only "boss" a cat has, is itself! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom