Beardies and other animals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey

Juvie Member
Ok Im getting curious here, I see several posts about how other animals mainly predators stresses beardies out and can be dangerous. How many here have beardies and they are sociailising with other animals? My beardie Herculette (former Hercules), has always been a calm girl, never hissed, gaped, blackbearded me, she goes dark when not happy but never black black. She's raised with my dogs, been out and around them since she was little. Granted I have always had the dogs in a down stay position so they never approached her. She used them as an obstacale course and runs right over them. Today, she was on the bed, Tasha walked up to the bed, and Herculette ran from the pillow to the foot end and she was nose to nose with Tasha and stuck her tounge out on her to say hi. My bf's cat has been sitting and looking at the beardie, she don't even bother. And she said hi to Gizmo my bf's sisters cat who is great with other animals they did nose to nose as well when she was on my arm. Now Herculette dont show no stress signs, more curiousty. I think it is partially cause of her always calm temper,she's a dream beardie, and that I never had the dogs spooke her it was always on HER Condition to say hi or not so I suspect I might have desensitised her. Of course which Im very happy about after reading the other stories here how other animals can effect beardies. But how many others are having beardie and dog/cat together with success?? I did have a rat also but they never got to say hi, I know they would likely tried to kil one another due to pure instinct. I did not push my luck on that one. BUt it would be fun to hear more beardie other pet stories and also how you integrated them :)

Do my kids count ages 5,3,1 lol... My 5 year old son watched Nims Island and now one of the BD's got renamed Fred and has to be on my sons shoulder as much as i'll let him.....

missnikki

my bearded dragons were pretty iffy about my cats at first but they eventually got along but now they curl up and sleep beside each other on my couch. it is the cutest thing ever. Just make sure to watch out though. the cats think they are playing when they really arent.

Monkey

Juvie Member
Original Poster
lol@kids thats cute!!

and yeah IM very careful with the cats, at least when it comes to Kali and MOnster they have a lot of instinct. Giz is a different story, she have no instincts on hunting. She's scared of people but love all other animals. She will walk up to a snarling dog to headbutt them. And I say you have to take pictures of them snuggeling together I wanna see :D

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
Phoenix has seen my dog benji and i do watch benji very closely, although... i would be more worried that phoenix would hurt benji honestly lol! but they have interacted a few times but the last time benji got too close for comfort *he was sniffing phoenixs face* and phoenix hissed at him and scared benji and then benji got all defensive so they havent been in close encounters since... just be careful and watch them both for signs of aggression and i think its okay...

Fallencomrade2008

Juvie Member
I sleep with my mail beardie Bubba, he had his own blanket and likes to put his head under the edge of the pillow or my arm (what evers in the right spot). He is over 2 years old and like 20 inches i think, its been a wile since in mesured. On the next blanket down, about at my waist is my faveorite cat, one of 4 cats. His name is Kenny. I have taught keeny that if he wants to play with the lizard i will filk him in th nose. Kenny never kills and of the weird animals he brings in either. I've recived 7 bats and counting. None killed or injured. Weird cat right? Well to sum it up Bubba and Kenny sleep in my bed with me every night. If i break the routine bubba will show stress marks. I spolied him like a little brat lol. So in my experiance, teach your cat not to play with it and they get along just fine.

I do i have 1 good story though. My cat Jackjack is afraid of them. Hes a Freakin spaz tho. Bubba was "dominateing the living roon and jack was likein him self, perfect target for a mad lizard attck....Bubba black bearded, flaired up, tipped his body up at an angle and charged at jack in a wide "C" pattern. Jack hit the cat door like a derailed train and didn't come back in for hours. I think that bubba knows jack is afraid of him because he never has shown any aggression tward any thing else, not the dog or other 3 cats or any people. To be honest with you i was worried more about the cat lol. It was all over in a few seconds and i almost died from laughing.

Good luck with your cats and dogs and what the hell else you caouls happen to have lol. :mrgreen:

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
My beardies get along just fine with our Pugsley the puginess and our cats.

Here's a cute video of Z&W with the dog.

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit?ns=1&video_id=fhdrSI_SAGg&next=%2Fmy_videos

Itty Bitty and Beefy the cat are best of friends and love to hang out in my bedroom window together.
DSC02858.jpg

An if Itty Bitty is not out and about but still in her viv this is where you will find Beefy waiting for his friend.
DSC02468.jpg

Beefy actually watches over the boys when they are out...
DSC01356.jpg

...even naps with them.
100_7297.jpg

Now the younger cat Precious I was very leary of her at first...however beardies will usually show the cat
who's boss with those tails. Precious no longer wants anything to do with the beardies if they are roaming
she's gone. :lol:

Monkey

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Awwww I love the pictures and that nose to nose is what my beardie does with Tasha. Im gonna see if I can get pictures of it. I love the fact that they get along so well.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
I only have dragons now. But with my first I also had a cats. They was scared of him. Dante managed to escape early in their relationship, and he apparently showed them who's boss. We found Dante in the window basking and the cats was hiding. He escaped once again a few months later, and hubby walked in just in time to see the Dante walk up to one of our sleeping cat and give him a tail whip to the face then steal his sunny spot on the back of the recliner. the cats avoided him after that. They permanently gave up that sunny spot, and Dante never escaped again. :lol: Apparently that was his spot.

I forgot all about that. Thanks for reminding me.

LJean

Extreme Poster
I wouldn't trust my other animals around my dragons. Not sure what my cat would do, but my dog could easily, even if accidentally, kill one with a swoop of his paw.

TheDeac

Hatchling Member
i have a Australian Shepperd and she gets along great with my beardie well basically she doesnt care at all lol she lets stubble crawl over here and she just sits there they go nose to nose and stubble will lick her and she just sits there lol they get along great how ever our snouzer (i dont know how to spell it lol) tries to eat stubbs so she stays out of the room when stubble comes out lol

Ronzie

Hatchling Member
First time my gal saw my cat she ran right up to it nose to nose. I've had my cat for over 16 years and is extremely gentle. Only around each other when I'm right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom