Beardie's and internal worms. not the food kind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawnzy

I took mine to the vet for the first time and everything was fine but then i brought in the fecal sample a few days later in which worms was discovered. His poop was quite smelly too at that time. The vet gave him some stuff from a syringe to help him out. His weight was 42 grams the first time and on the day of the fecal testing his weight was the same as compared to a few days prior. He said it could slow his growth down and even eat up his insides if not treated. Now that it has been a few days since the meds, his poop isn't smelling and he devoured five big crix in a row without wasting time last night. His next appt is on the 16th for another dosage.
Will he get better and start growing after the treatment? i'm also going to be cleaning his home constantly to make sure this is kept under control.

Menolly

Juvie Member
Hey,
Could you be a little more specific? And if you don't mind would you answer some of these questions just to check out your set up?

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

Dawnzy

Original Poster
He is roughly 4 1/2 months old. guessing based on his size.
We've had them for just a bit over two weeks now.
Body is around 4 inches. with tail near 10 inches.
It is a male.
40 gallon breeder
Shelf Liner of which i clean off throughout the week.
ReptiSun 10.0 18" flourescent brand new and he gets near 10" close but might get closer if i can dim the basking bulb down.
Cool side temp is mid 80's
Digital therm with probe (misplaced it yesterday) and temp gun not sure how accurate it is. takes different temp depending if you go from above thru the wire mesh, or thru the glass or without anything in the way.
I take the basking temp in a 3-4 inch vicinity below the bulb where he sits at. Right now i'm adjusting the temp since i bought a 100 watt halogen flood. i have a dimmer for it i'll try using. i have a 100 watt clear household bulb on the other side.
I feed him salad during the day and he does eat it. crickets in the afternoon early evening with two hours afterwards to digest. i have herpavite vitamin supplement and repcal calcium with d3 (pink label). i dust the crix once a day for one batch of them. the vitamin suppl. once a week.
Yes to regular bowel movements. they're not smelly now since the vet gave him his first dosage monday.
I bath him every other day and he does lick the water off his nose. i mist him too during the week three times. he goes in his water dish from time to time not sure how often.
He is the only one in his viv.
Vet check is done and fecal is done. came back with worms. next dosage on the 16th.
He is active and runs around and wastes no time in eating his food. he even watches the bag as i put the crix in eating them as i drop them in.
Basking temps i had at 108 with the other light but it wasn't putting out the heat as i wanted it too so i switched to a flood light but i think 100 watt is overkill since the temps are a bit too high. i might get a 75 watt or might use the dimmer i bought for it. don't want to get him too toasty.

Menolly

Juvie Member
Okay your set up looks pretty decent. But what exactly did the vet find that would stunt your beardies growth?

LQDragons

Juvie Member
how often are you feeding him crix, and are they bigger than the space between his eyes. The reason I'm asking is that you posted he gets crix in the afternoon and he ate 5 large crix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom