Beardie wont eat calcium powder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegasdaze

Original Poster
Hi all, my rescue Beardie wont eat his greens dusted with calcium. He loves his salad otherwise. Here is a picture. Am I using too much?

Also, are there any alternative products besides powdered calcium that are adequate and I could offer alongside of his salad?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20211101_082407.jpg
    20211101_082407.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 175

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi all, my rescue Beardie wont eat his greens dusted with calcium. He loves his salad otherwise. Here is a picture. Am I using too much?

Also, are there any alternative products besides powdered calcium that are adequate and I could offer alongside of his salad?

Thanks in advance!
Insects should be dusted -- I would dust them not the salads -- try that and see how it goes if it doesnt there are other alternatives

Vegasdaze

Original Poster
Insects should be dusted -- I would dust them not the salads -- try that and see how it goes if it doesnt there are other alternatives
Thank you, he will eat dusted BSF larvae. He is over a year old and I only feed them three times a week. Alternating days between veggies and insects. Is that sufficient?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you, he will eat dusted BSF larvae. He is over a year old and I only feed them three times a week. Alternating days between veggies and insects. Is that sufficient?
Please don't dust the bsfl + they are calcium enriched--- other insects yes crickets dubias - what kind of uvb are you using? Brand and bulb please this will determine the frequency

Vegasdaze

Original Poster
Please don't dust the bsfl + they are calcium enriched--- other insects yes crickets dubias - what kind of uvb are you using? Brand and bulb please this will determine the frequency
Ah ok thank you. It is a Reptile Systems 100 watt Mercury vapor.

He is a funny lizard. He does opposite of what I understand he's supposed to do. He basks in the evening and sleeps under his hammock at around 100° all night in the dark and then sits on the cool side of the cage all day long at about 85°..

I have no idea of how the people that had him before me took care of him but I assume they didn't do anything properly. He looks a lot better now than he did when I got him.. he just seems to do everything opposite of what I see other people's bearded dragons doing.

Vegasdaze

Original Poster
Ah ok thank you. It is a Reptile Systems 100 watt Mercury vapor.

He is a funny lizard. He does opposite of what I understand he's supposed to do. He basks in the evening and sleeps under his hammock at around 100° all night in the dark and then sits on the cool side of the cage all day long at about 85°..

I have no idea of how the people that had him before me took care of him but I assume they didn't do anything properly. He looks a lot better now than he did when I got him.. he just seems to do everything opposite of what I see other people's bearded dragons doing.

Attachments

• 20211101_165908.jpg
    20211101_165908.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 133

Vegasdaze

Original Poster
Here's a picture of his cage I kind of wish they wouldn't have sold me the square one and gave me a longer one that had bigger differences in temperature from end to end. If anything looks off about this setup please let me know. He has stress marks that have never went away or lightened at all no matter how well I try to take care of him..

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Here's a picture of his cage I kind of wish they wouldn't have sold me the square one and gave me a longer one that had bigger differences in temperature from end to end. If anything looks off about this setup please let me know. He has stress marks that have never went away or lightened at all no matter how well I try to take care of him..
The tank is not big enough ---- please invest in a 75-120 gallon tank --- he has stress marks because of the temps I am guessing and the MVB might not be putting out enough UVB--- most times we recommend a long tube fixture w/ a MVB just to make sure they are getting enough UVB -- what size tank is he in now? I am sorry but he looks cramped in there --- also are you only using a stick on for temps -- if so please get a digital probe thermometer and place on the hammock where he sits for basking -- if your temps are 100 at nite that is way too hot -- that would be another reason for stress marks --- temps at nite should be 65-75 those can be taken w/ a stick on ---

Vegasdaze

Original Poster
The tank is not big enough ---- please invest in a 75-120 gallon tank --- he has stress marks because of the temps I am guessing and the MVB might not be putting out enough UVB--- most times we recommend a long tube fixture w/ a MVB just to make sure they are getting enough UVB -- what size tank is he in now? I am sorry but he looks cramped in there --- also are you only using a stick on for temps -- if so please get a digital probe thermometer and place on the hammock where he sits for basking -- if your temps are 100 at nite that is way too hot -- that would be another reason for stress marks --- temps at nite should be 65-75 those can be taken w/ a stick on ---
I really appreciate the advice. And I'm really mad at the pet store for selling me $400 of wrong stuff. They took this guy in as a rescue and sold him to me. The store specializes in reptiles so that makes me even more angry.

The tank is 2 ft by 2 ft square and 1 ft tall I don't know how many gallons that is. Here are some more pictures for better view. I do have a stick thermometer on the glass but I also have another round thermometer from PetSmart. I will look into the digital probe.

In the meantime I need to go back to this pet store and tell them they need to take this tank back and give me the proper size.

Attachments

• 20211101_172204.jpg
    20211101_172204.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 20211101_172159.jpg
    20211101_172159.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 114

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I really appreciate the advice. And I'm really mad at the pet store for selling me $400 of wrong stuff. They took this guy in as a rescue and sold him to me. The store specializes in reptiles so that makes me even more angry.

The tank is 2 ft by 2 ft square and 1 ft tall I don't know how many gallons that is. Here are some more pictures for better view. I do have a stick thermometer on the glass but I also have another round thermometer from PetSmart. I will look into the digital probe.

In the meantime I need to go back to this pet store and tell them they need to take this tank back and give me the proper size.
That tank I believe is 25 gallon- reptile experts I think not - they took you for a ride I hate to say-- I would not do anymore business w/ them and please get a bigger tank ASAP- we can help you get it set up- w/ proper uvb - basking lamp and anything else you need please just ask

Vegasdaze

Original Poster

Looking at tanks with the same dimensions it seems to be 30 gal.
That tank I believe is 25 gallon- reptile experts I think not - they took you for a ride I hate to say-- I would not do anymore business w/ them and please get a bigger tank ASAP- we can help you get it set up- w/ proper uvb - basking lamp and anything else you need please just ask
They did take me for a ride. I didnt tell you he cost $200 as well which is way to much. We came in for a pet rat for my daughter and fell in love with this guy.

Ok so I will get a 75 gal tank or larger asap. This one seems to be 30gal.

Other than this pet store I'm going to have to do all my business on either Amazon or Petco.

I think they picked that light because of the heat that Mercury vapor gives off As well as the UVB.

If I got a long tube, they don't emit heat is that correct? I have two ceramic heating bulbs that I could put in that double fixture and reuse that if that's the case. Does that sound like a feasible setup along with the long tube?

If so could you recommend a brand of tube light to go along with those heating elements?

Also do you happen to have a picture of an ideal setup that I can study?

Thanks again

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)

They did take me for a ride. I didnt tell you he cost $200 as well which is way to much. We came in for a pet rat for my daughter and fell in love with this guy.

Other than this pet store I'm going to have to do all my business on either Amazon or Petco.

I think they picked that light because of the heat that Mercury vapor gives off As well as the UVB.

If I got a long tube, they don't emit heat is that correct? I have two ceramic heating bulbs that I could put in that double fixture and reuse that if that's the case. Does that sound like a feasible setup along with the long tube?

If so could you recommend a brand of tube light to go along with those heating elements?

Thanks again
Ok the mvb you may or may not haft to replace w/ a bigger tank - your digital probe thermometer is going to tell you that- I would recommend getting one of these for a uvb Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb you want a reptisun 10.0 bulb 22" or
a sunblaster SunBlaster NanoTech T5 HO - Fluorescent Fixture with 6400K Lamp this comes w/ a bulb 24" fixture-- I would also recommend a Arcadia pro T 5 but everyone seems to be sold out - I can post a pic of my tank - it's not perfect but it can give you some ideas
The nice girl at Petco just told me to check out this tank from a competitor. Do you see any issues? Its 120 gal with wood sides..

That is what I have

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)

Thanks again
Ok the mvb you may or may not haft to replace w/ a bigger tank - your digital probe thermometer is going to tell you that- I would recommend getting one of these for a uvb Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb you want a reptisun 10.0 bulb 22" or
a sunblaster SunBlaster NanoTech T5 HO - Fluorescent Fixture with 6400K Lamp this comes w/ a bulb 24" fixture-- I would also recommend a Arcadia pro T 5 but everyone seems to be sold out - I can post a pic of my tank - it's not perfect but it can give you some ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom