Beardie won't chase food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akanep16

I've had my guy about 3 months, he used to chase his crickets around but now he won't, he'll chase up to maybe 5 but after that he's done and gets up on his tree, the only way he'll eat is if I hand feed the crickets with tongs. Is this normal?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
some get lazy .... some get bored with same bugs every day too.

I'd keep on offering the live bugs at least twice a day, and hold off with the greens and veg til later in the day to make sure your juvi beardie is hungry enough to eat his bugs and not filling up on low protein vegs. HE NEEDS HIS BUGS to GROW BIG STRONG AND HEALTHY.

Hand feeding is fine and a great way to establish a strong bond with a pet lizard too. All my lizards get hand fed most their bugs.

NewMomLyn

Honestly, I think he likes being pampered with the hand feeding :D
And yes, it's an awesome way to strengthen the bond between you.

Taffer

Hatchling Member
My bearded dragon "Monster" didn't chase her crickets much either. We don't feed her crickets in her cage because it is more of a pain to track down and remove the ones she doesn't eat, and they can bite, which would be a lot worse while the dragon is comatose overnight with the heat turned off. We just get a big bin and put in the crickets and put Monster in with them. It is faster, easier to put the crickets back in their holding bin, and fairly often if we leave Monster in the bin 10-15 minutes she will poop there as well. Monster always starts clawing at her aquarium trying to get out when she has to poop too, so we very seldom have to clean her living quarters.

Anyway, back to the crickets. Monster may chase the first 3-5 crickets (sometimes), but more often than not, she just stands there waiting for the crickets to wander around and get in range to eat. Some say lazy, some say efficient, but either way, you're beardie isn't the only one that does that. :0)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
NewMomLyn":cwy1wke3 said:
Honestly, I think he likes being pampered with the hand feeding :D
And yes, it's an awesome way to strengthen the bond between you.

That is most likely the reason , a very spoilt beardie .

BTW guilty as charged ya ona ..... all my pet lizards are handfeed their bugs (well most their bugs) and I don't mind, it's a great excuse for a snuggle and creates a very strong lizard - human bond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivannam17
Top Bottom