Beardie won’t eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie usually has a bit of a yo-yo appetite. Some days she’ll have 20 or so bugs, other days she’ll have 6 and leave it at that. She usually stops eating much in the run up to pooping, but her appetite comes back afterwards. She’s also never been overly fond of veggies, having previously come from a home where she only ate crickets or lettuce, but she usually eats a fair bit of it.

For about two or three months now, however, she hasn’t been eating much. She started eating less and less bugs, being a bit more inactive, barely eating veggies. She’s well hydrated and poops about every week and a half (she typically poops twice on her poop days). She’s always been lazy, but she became even more so, except for on days where she would just go crazy, climbing over everything and basking and the lot. She still seems well, no black beard or anything, no signs of being gravid, and I wondered if perhaps it might have to do with the cold weather. Her temperatures average about 93F, she’s just had a new Reptisun 10.0 T8 UVB put in last week because it was due to be replaced, etc. I worry about her calcium levels because she’s barely eating, so she’s not getting her powder. She won’t take bugs at all now, hasn’t had any for about three weeks, maybe even a month. She’ll eat her veggies, but never a full bowl, and she’ll NEVER eat them fresh. If I put them in the viv, she waits until the next morning when they’re crispy and eats them then (unless she’s super hungry). She’s never been any different.

Because of COVID, I haven’t been able to book her a vet appointment because they’re only taking emergencies, and because she’s still moving about her tank and eating some veggies, they aren’t classing it one. Her weight doesn’t seem to have changed too much, and she did poop yesterday. I couldn’t tell the consistency of it because it was while I was out for the day, so it was all dried up by the time I got back. I read about brumation but she seems too active and alert for that. She doesn’t seem lethargic, just lazy.

I’ve also noticed two days ago that the end of her nose is pale like candle wax, and it’s spread up to around her eyes and mouth, so I think she’s going to shed there soon. But her eating issues have been going on for much longer than that, so I don’t think that’s the problem.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, since you mentioned that there's no signs of being gravid I take it that she's a young adult. Adults do eat much less at certain times, they never go back to eating anywhere near the amounts [ or numbers of insects ] they did as juveniles . So it doesn't seem out of the ordinary and the fact that she's not losing weight means she's still healthy. I wouldn't worry too much, they can go long times without eating and supplements during brumation so this behavior + lack of nutrition shouldn't hurt her. You COULD try getting the basking temp. up to 100, that may or may not have any effect but then her behavior is not really a problem. BTW can you post a good body shot of her and also her entire tank ?

beaniethebeardie

Original Poster
AHBD":2bco2rzg said:
Hi there, since you mentioned that there's no signs of being gravid I take it that she's a young adult. Adults do eat much less at certain times, they never go back to eating anywhere near the amounts [ or numbers of insects ] they did as juveniles . So it doesn't seem out of the ordinary and the fact that she's not losing weight means she's still healthy. I wouldn't worry too much, they can go long times without eating and supplements during brumation so this behavior + lack of nutrition shouldn't hurt her. You COULD try getting the basking temp. up to 100, that may or may not have any effect but then her behavior is not really a problem. BTW can you post a good body shot of her and also her entire tank ?

105609-5525524854.jpg
105609-3836721238.jpg

This is her set up, a 4ft x 2ft viv. The reptisun goes along the top, overlaps the basking bulb a bit, and the thermometer probe is currently on top of one of her rocks because I’m checking the basking spot for her.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Nice set up and your dragon looks very healthy, even a bit chunky. Right now concentrate on feeding her more veggies, feed insects only 1-2 X a week for a while, then back to 2-3 X a week but in smaller numbers, 5-6 large insects at a feeding. She has sufficient weight on her and it won't hurt her a bit to go through this phase, as a matter of fact some beardies put on so much weight that their appetite slows way down , which may alarm the owner but is perfectly normal.

beaniethebeardie

Original Poster
AHBD":vatl2yo7 said:
Nice set up and your dragon looks very healthy, even a bit chunky. Right now concentrate on feeding her more veggies, feed insects only 1-2 X a week for a while, then back to 2-3 X a week but in smaller numbers, 5-6 large insects at a feeding. She has sufficient weight on her and it won't hurt her a bit to go through this phase, as a matter of fact some beardies put on so much weight that their appetite slows way down , which may alarm the owner but is perfectly normal.

Thank you so much!! I’ll do what you say and keep an eye on her. Thank you for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom