Beardie Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I am a first time Beardie owner. I picked up my guy on Dec 6, 2021. His previous owner says that he is 4-5 years old. He is 22 inches long. I've read that adult Beardies should weigh anywhere between 400-550 grams. I weighed him and he is only 298 grams. It has me a little concerned because I do not know much about his previous diet besides being fed superworms and and the Zilla Omnivore Mix. I now feed him Superworms, Dubia Roaches, Meal Worms, and a mix of dandelion greens, collard greens and turnip greens.

Last edited:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, congratulations on a 22 inch dragon, that is great. Post some pictures of him, we all love seeing them.
We can better determine the physical condition of him, by pictures. If he is that long, I would say though, that at 300 grams,
he would need to gain some weight. Since he is an adult, he will need to eat predominantly greens & vegetation but still needs
some protein.
It sounds like the diet you are feeding him is pretty balanced. How many insects, estimated, are you giving weekly? Are you also
using a good UVB light, too?

Tracie

nessasimmons

Original Poster
Hello,

Wow, congratulations on a 22 inch dragon, that is great. Post some pictures of him, we all love seeing them.
We can better determine the physical condition of him, by pictures. If he is that long, I would say though, that at 300 grams,
he would need to gain some weight. Since he is an adult, he will need to eat predominantly greens & vegetation but still needs
some protein.
It sounds like the diet you are feeding him is pretty balanced. How many insects, estimated, are you giving weekly? Are you also
using a good UVB light, too?

Tracie
I have been giving him 6 Superworms and 4 Dubia Roaches every night with his salads. I am using a T5 10.0 linear UVB bulb. He is also currently in shed so hes not eating too much right now.

Attachments

• rex1.jpg
    rex1.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 109
  • rex2.jpg
    rex2.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 117

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks pretty good in the photos. I agree that his weight is a bit low for his length, but he doesn't look unhealthy to me. Since he's an adult, I'd focus on giving him a variety of veges and get him used to eating lots of salads. He should be able to put on plenty of weight over time while eating salads and occasional variety of bugs in balance as Tracie mentioned.

I do see what looks like a bump along his jaw in the first photo - I don't see it in the second. Is that something that is always there?

nessasimmons

Original Poster
He looks pretty good in the photos. I agree that his weight is a bit low for his length, but he doesn't look unhealthy to me. Since he's an adult, I'd focus on giving him a variety of veges and get him used to eating lots of salads. He should be able to put on plenty of weight over time while eating salads and occasional variety of bugs in balance as Tracie mentioned.

I do see what looks like a bump along his jaw in the first photo - I don't see it in the second. Is that something that is always there?
Yes, it is a cyst. It has been checked out by a vet and they said that as long as it doesn't get bigger or seem to cause any problems with eating/drinking, I shouldn't worry about it. I am taking him to the vet on Saturday morning to get a check up and fecal test done to make sure he has no parasites.

nessasimmons

Original Poster
UPDATE:
Just got back from the vet. He now weighs 325 grams! The vet said that he actually looks really good and not to have him gain much more weight and that everything else is looking good. I also recently got him a new enclosure. He is getting an upgrade from a 40 gal to a 55 gal. Thank you to everyone who has replied and given me advice.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have been giving him 6 Superworms and 4 Dubia Roaches every night with his salads. I am using a T5 10.0 linear UVB bulb. He is also currently in shed so hes not eating too much right now.
Where do you have your UVB? Is it on top of the screen or inside the tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SilverSelene
Top Bottom