Beardie Walking on Wrists

NerdrageLV

Beardie name(s)
Scalestein
Greetings all. About 5 weeks ago, I thought my beardie was going into brumation. This was about the same time as last year. Her annual vet appointment was coming up in the middle of November. She went into her hide and came out a week later with a lump on her tail and a growth on her shoulder. I got her into the vet and they took cell samples from the lumps and they told me they came back not definitive for anything. We did a scan to make sure she didn't have any masses, and he prescribed a series of Fortaz injections. We got through the Fortaz injections, in alternating front legs, and she finally pooped so I sent in her fecal. That came back clean of parasites. We did a blood test and the vet told me everything was normal.

Fast forward for about the last week and she's be walking on her wrists. I was worried about this so my vet gave me some calcium supplements to give her. He says she doesn't show any signs of MBD and her calcium levels are where they should be. I don't want her to brumate and then not come out. I'm working on building a bigger basking platform for her, closer to the uvb. She likes basking on a branch that we had for her, but since she's weak, I'm afraid she isn't close enough to the UVB and she's developing MBD. I'm building a new platform out of pavestones for her to get her closer to the light.

Is there anything I could have missed?

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
I hate that I don't have any solid answers for you on the lumps and growths. Can you post some pictures of them?

Looking at your profile, you're pretty well set up. It will be suggested that you get 2 digital probe thermometers. The IR guns can be off depending on what material you are reading off of. You're going to want to get your UVB closer to your basking spot, more the 12-15 inch range. If you see any comments from @KarrieRee, she's the one to work with on lighting. It would also be helpful if you could post copies of any/all testing/bloodwork/etc from the vet. One of our mods, @Drache613 , is a vet tech. She's usually on very late, for me anyway (pacific time), and she can go over the results to offer more advice.

I'll be following along to see how things work out for your dragon. We love our scaly little friends around here and consider those of others to be ours too. Nothing but the best for our babies. 💜

Last edited:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Can you post some pictures of your girl? Did the vet give you a copy of the blood tests?
Many times, the calcium levels can "appear" normal on the blood test reading but in fact be
low in stores in the bones, meaning the 25 Hydroxy levels. The calcium level in the blood fights
for homeostasis to maintain serum levels for body function. If this continues to go on in this manner
& that the calcium levels continue to drop it will begin to leach the bones of calcium in an attempt to
maintain homeostasis. This can take a short amount of time or a longer period of time depending on
the calcium status of the dragon.
This can be caused by improper UVB lighting or weak UVB lighting which contributes to the inability
for them to absorb calcium & other vital nutrients.
What UVB light are you using?
Was in infection indicated on the blood test? I am not sure about the Fortaz, it may not be needed.

Tracie

NerdrageLV

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scalestein
1000002322.jpg
1000002341.jpg

NerdrageLV

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scalestein
They didn't give me the results of the blood test. I will call and see if they will email them to me.

NerdrageLV

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scalestein
Hello,

Can you post some pictures of your girl? Did the vet give you a copy of the blood tests?
Many times, the calcium levels can "appear" normal on the blood test reading but in fact be
low in stores in the bones, meaning the 25 Hydroxy levels. The calcium level in the blood fights
for homeostasis to maintain serum levels for body function. If this continues to go on in this manner
& that the calcium levels continue to drop it will begin to leach the bones of calcium in an attempt to
maintain homeostasis. This can take a short amount of time or a longer period of time depending on
This can be caused by improper UVB lighting or weak UVB lighting which contributes to the inability
Was in infection indicated on the blood test? I am not sure about the Fortaz, it may not be needed.

Tracie
I am using a Reptisun 39w T5HO 10.0

NerdrageLV

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scalestein
Good UVB --- what is the screen on the tank like? fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type? This is going to determine where that UVB needs to be placed and distanced
I have it mounted inside the enclosure. The enclosure is a Zen Habitat 48x24x24. Her basking rock is 6 inches tall but she always preferred being on a branch. The branch has varying heights that she would climb to, in the UV light. I have one of those rudimentary UV cards to make sure the UV is working at her 6 inch rock.

Last edited:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sending my best wishes for some effective treatment for Scalestein. Did the vet do anything with either of the lumps ? They look like abscesses , ask your vet if lancing + flushing those out is possible.

NerdrageLV

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scalestein
Sending my best wishes for some effective treatment for Scalestein. Did the vet do anything with either of the lumps ? They look like abscesses , ask your vet if lancing + flushing those out is possible.
The vet took some cell samples and sent them off to the lab. I used the vet finder on reptifiles.com to locate a reptile vet. My vet is the only one listed in Las Vegas. I couldn't find any vets through the finder here, but I am also not the smartest on some things like that. The vet prescribed Fortaz injections, in the event that it was an infection. She went through a series of 7 shots, 1 shot every 3 days. The lumps didn't shrink at all but haven't looked any worse either.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K that's what I thought. You could ask about having them lanced + flushed.
Did the shots seem to cause her pain, any swelling at the injection site ?

NerdrageLV

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scalestein
O.K that's what I thought. You could ask about having them lanced + flushed.
Did the shots seem to cause her pain, any swelling at the injection site ?
I don't think so. If she is in pain, she doesn't show it, even when I would feel the lumps. There was never any swelling either. I was worried the Fortaz injections were messing with her legs but now I am pretty sure it is an onset of MBD but I am also not a reptile vet.

Thank you all for the questions and concerns. It does mean a lot.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If she's have issues climbing lower the uvb to 12" directly above her she can sit on the floor

NerdrageLV

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scalestein
Hello,

Tracie

Here are the blood results:

ALB 2.4 g/dL
AST 19 IU/L
BUN/UREA 2 mg/dL
Ca 12.6 mg/dL
Chloride 123 mEq/L
GLU 144 mg/dL
PHOS 1.2 mg/dL
Potassium 3.3 mEq/L
TP 5.4 g/dL
Sodium 166 mEq/L
URIC 1.4 mg/dL
GLOB 3.0 g/dL
CK 489 IU/L
BASO 14 %
EOS 0 %
HCT 34 %
HETERO 37 %
LYMPHS 30 %
MONOS 0 %
NEUT BANDS 0 %
ABS BASO 5572 /uL
ABS EOS 0 /uL
ABS HETR 14726 /uL
ABS LYMPHS 11940 /uL
ABS MONOS 0 /uL
ABS NEUTB 0 /uL
Ascn: IRAV00718498 Profile: Avian/Exotic CBC
RE: 62 WBC Estimate 39.8 1000/uL
RE: 63 RBC Morphology Normal
RE: 64 Blood Parasites None Seen
RE: 65 Toxic Changes None Seen
RE: 66 Azurophilic Monocytes 19 %
RE: 67 Absolute Azurophilic Monocytes 7562
RE: 68 Thrombocyte Estimate Adequate

Thank you again

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mangomom
Top Bottom