beardie turning very dark

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question. I am an owner of two beardies. One is looking very healthy and it is growing fast while the other one is getting really dark, not only on the bottom but the whole body gets dark. It got lighter today for couple hours but went back. And it is also growing much, much slower. They live in the same tank so they have the same conditions. It looks dark but acts normal. Eats, poops, it's very energetic. Any thoughts?

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
You are going to want to separate them asap! Sounds like you may have a male and female and he may be ready to breed! Can you tell us the set up you have? As in what type of UVB and how old it is also what are your temps and how are you measuring them? And substrate?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you could answer the questions that Lance posted, it would be very helpful.

It sounds like one is very stressed by being housed with the other. Stress alone can kill them so either putting up a temporary divider or putting them each in their own tank, would be the safest thing to do. Does the darker one brighten up when out of the tank and then darken when put back in it? I had 2 housed together for a very short time and could fill you in on all the signs they show when they are stressed, if you'd like to know more, let me know.

radekkacz07

Original Poster
I have the RZilla Desert Series 50 uvb that is about 2 months old. The substrate is crushed walnut shells (I know I will get bashed for that, but I am planning on changing it to carpeting or tiles). The temps are above 100 on basking side and around 85 on cooler side measured by a regular mercury thermometer. Today the lizard looks normal. It is bright. And now, when I throw in crix, I take out the bigger one so the smaller one can eat for a while without any stress, and after 5 minutes or so I put the bigger on in. They seem pretty happy together and they don't fight but I understand that the bigger one may be dominant and I might consider separating them. However, I would prefer to house them together.

radekkacz07

Original Poster
Other notes - beardie stays dark when taken out for a while or when I take the bigger lizard out. She looks happy, she ate a lot of crix today, she pooped, but she is dark. :silent:

radekkacz07

Original Poster
Ok, I did a lot of research and I talked to some breeders. I will separate my two dragons as soon as I built another terrarium. I think she is stressed because she is housed with a male.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom