Beardie- too long without food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shrambo

So I just had a huge scare with my beardie. I worked today from 7-4 so decided to wait until a got off work to feed him since his light doesn't usually come on until around 10. I work at PETCO, and we ran out of crickets so I only had 17. At around 510 I fed him those 17 crickets. He also had veggies available to him all day . But he pooped in his bowl so my mom took it up so I didn't see how much he ate. But he usually eats it all. About an hour after feeding him, I took him out and he was completely stiff. His limbs wouldn't budge. I got scared and decoded he might be impacted so bathed him. He sunk right to the bottom. Didn't even hold his head up. He looked at really skinny too. I was sure he was dying. He was breathing really short breaths. But my mom brought home more crickets and after a few attempts he weirdly enough started eating them. Now he seems fine. Looks healthy. Not stiff. And normal. So was it because I waited so long to feed him?

shrambo

Original Poster
Well I'm pretty concerned about his health right now and wanna know if that's why he acted so weird. Hence why I posted in health

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
The bump keeps it going to the top for topic discussion. If nobody has answered you someone will "bump" and it moves up again so people continue to see it. This behavior does seem odd. I don't believe it is because you were a little late on feeding. Could he/she be about to shed? Sometimes they just get moody and not want to be handled? I would keep an eye on the behavior for awhile. If he/she don't continue to act normal post your housing information. He/She may have just wanted to let you know this late business wasn't acceptable! lol :D You too will learn to be a :whip: perfect slave some day.

shrambo

Original Poster
Oh haha OK I'm stupid with the whole bump thing lol. But he's been fine the last couple hours. But he was acting completely paralyzed earlier. I don't understand. Its no impaction. Well I doubt it is. Because he pooped 3 times today. My housing info is perfect. I've posted on here multiple times and everyone says its fine. Plus I did more than enough research to be confident in it. He does gape from time to time though. And my basking temp never really goes over 106. I'm definitely gonna schedule a vet appt. Mainly to check for parasites. Thanks for you reply though

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I'm wondering if he got hold of a cricket that was too big and it somehow put pressure on his spine for a bit before it moved through his digestive tract. Glad to hear he seems better!

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
WHatever it is, it definitely is NOT because he missed a meal. Obviously, we all want our dragons on the perfect feeding schedule, eating the most nutritious, balanced diet, but missing a meal should not harm them in any way if they are otherwise healthy. My Charlie, now just over a year and a half, has barely eaten since Christmas, but he has barely lost 5 grams in that time, and in fact initially gained weight and length. I would get him checked out by a vet ASAP, and make sure that you are holding and gut loading his petco crickets for at least 48 hours prior to feeding to minimize the risk of parasite infestation and maximize their nutritional value.

mikewithsfi

Hatchling Member
Yes I agree that missing a feeding will not do this to him. In the wild I am sure they go weeks with out food. It could have been what esther19 said about a cricket pressing on his spine. Also the cricket could have got caught in his throat. However it is not a common occurrence. Read this post viewtopic.php?f=45&t=106330&view=previous I hope this helps..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom