Beardie swallowed a pill

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Drache613":3tyhnroc said:
Hello,

Please let us know how your dragon is doing!
What kind of pill was it that he swallowed? That's good you had some activated charcoal to
give him right away. Perhaps, he needs more fluids.
You are getting him to the vet this weekend?
I hope he will be alright.

Tracie
OP's first post stated a 100mg Lamotrigine , this stuff is nasty if you overdose (life threatening).

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes pretty much anything you overdose on will be life threatening.

That being said, max concentrations from absorption occur only a few hours after entering the body with this medication. And Ops dragon is much past that stage right now. Not to mention that op administered AC quickly which likely greatly reduced what the body would actually absorb.

How is your dragon doing this morning?
Hopefully still eating and drinking fine. The worst should have already passed with him based off of the mechanics of the medication he ingested.
I'm not really sure what a vet would even be able to do right now besides blood work and potentially hydration or administer more AC.

-Brandon

Stranglenoodles

Original Poster
Hi all, once again ty all for your help and concern. I did end up taking him to the emergency vet last night and they said the same thing cladiusx just posted, the max concentration wouldve been absorbed already so now its just gotta work through his system. They gave him some fluids and sent him home e with me, and told us to watch for any more chamges in his behavior.

This morning he seems much better. His beard and tummy have lightened up considerably and he's bright eyed and aware. He ate and pooped, and aside from it being a bit more smelly than usual :lol: everything seemed normal. Ive scheduled an appointment with his normal vet this coming week, I definitely wanna cover all my bases, but I'm hoping the storm has passed!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, you are very fortunate to dodge that bullet. The 100 mg could easily have killed him but the A.C. did the job + absorbed the bulk of it. Glad to hear it turned out O.K. Beardies can get in trouble so easily, they want to taste everything !!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
You should go and buy a lottery ticket while your luck holds ….

I think in these cases it's always best to err on the side of caution when you just don't know how reptile's metabolism will react to the toxic dangerous substance designed and dosed for an adult human. Better safe than sorry.

Stranglenoodles

Original Poster
Another update: Took Tony to his regular vet for an exam, they checked him over, did a chemical profile and bloodwork, and everything came back normal. The vet said that everything looks good and we're out of the woods! Still took the next week off work so I can keep a consistent eye on him, but things are looking up!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh Interesting that you got blood work done! Would you mind posting the results?
I'm mainly curious about the liver values and what the Medication/AC did to the values.

Anyways, glad Tony is doing good! Goes to show why it's important to have a beardie first aid kit, and to make sure Activated Charcoal is in it. Without it Tony might have had a much different outcome. The AC probably prevented much of the medicine from being absorbed initially.

So Kudos to you for being so quick thinking! :mrgreen:
I do agree with your vet, you and Tony should be out of the woods now :)

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ha, I read over that & missed the substance ingested.
I am so glad that you got him to the ER then. That is wonderful Tony is doing pretty well
then. The activated charcoal is invaluable so it's always good to have it on hand just in
case. It helped him immensely! I think it may take another week or so for him to start to
feel normal but hopefully he is going to recover just fine.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuexedulichthailan
Top Bottom