Beardie STILL not Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Hi all, I have sorted the heating out in my recently rescued Beardie's viv, although I am waiting for a repti-sun 10 as he has a repti-glo 5 at the moment, it should arrived any day now. The temps are great (took a bit of work and many different bulbs) and he enjoyed his bath today. He is all flat belly on his basking rock right now, totally zoned out. However, he wont eat. He had a couple of locusts (fairly small) two days ago and he had a rather big poo today (that didnt smell too bad). He isn't interested in food at all now. He looks too skinny (pic below). He is supposed to be about 2yrs old I think, but I have my doubts as he is so small. I took him off the sand he was on and he is now on paper towels. His tank is 4ft x 1ft x 2ft. He likes to be handled and skoots around the bed or sits on my shoulder. I was wondering if crickets would tempt him. Locusts and waxworms are not catching his interest at all and dont even suggest greens :/

Any suggestions would be most welcome as the advice so far on here has helped me enormously. I would add that he was in my lads room for a little while but I felt it was a bit too much of a responsibility for them so I moved him to my room. His viv has been rearranged a couple of times to get the best basking spot/temps etc, could that be it? Should I wait until the repti-sun is in and see if that helps his appetite? Does uvb make a huge difference to appetite? Lol sorry for all the questions and the slightly rambling post but I want to make sure I have covered everything. Oh his current uvb does need moving down a bit. It overlaps his basking spot but he has to move from his spot and climb a branch to get close to the uvb which he doesnt seem to do much. Ok I think I am finished :oops: Thank you all once again.

Basil our New (and very first) Beardie
022.jpg

Xeyla

The UVB rays help your beardie metabolize the calcium into vitamin D, which helps keep his bones strong. It also brightens their colors, and keeps them happy.

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
I wish I could help you. My own bearded dragon won't eat, and hasn't eaten for nearly 2 months, give or take a single superworm here and there.

-sigh-

But in your case specifically, it could be relocation stress, with all of the rearranging and newly acquiring. And the new UVB should spunk him up, hopefully. And I would definately give crickets a go. Variety is good in a bearded dragon's diet not only for nutritional health, but for mental health also. Beardeds can get bored of specific foods =/ Take my male for instance... turns a blind eye to everything. But my female will eat anything! (yes, even the logs she sits on XD). You could always try baby food - the vegetable based kind, preferably ones without sugar.

He does look a bit on the skinny side, or dehydrated. How often is it do you bathe him?

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi there, I have recently discovered He is a She, lol. I bathe her almost everyday and she seems to enjoy it. I am trying very hard not to get too stressed about her lack of eating but it's difficult :( I have tried babyfood (organic chicken and squash) I dropped some on her nose and she licked it a few times, but not a lot really. She is still active and likes being outside the viv either with me or wandering around. i am hoping it's a combination of relocation stress and getting ready to shed. If she doesn't perk up over the next couple of days I shall take her to the vets for a check up.

Sorry to hear that your lil one is not eating :( I am assuming you have tried everything suggested on here. I hope things pick up for your lil man.

cashrokxsz

Juvie Member
give roaches a try. or hornworms, those really seem to catch the attention of almost every bearded dragon. and their really filling and packed with nutrition along wit da added calcium powder, it will b a nutricious treat.

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Roaches and hornworms don't seem to be much available in the UK. I will have a search around and see if I can buy online. Anything is worth a go. Thanks for the suggestion :)

cashrokxsz

Juvie Member
its just like locust over here in da us. we don have dem, we gotta order from over dere. but yea, try it. dey love it for sum reason.

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Will do then :) thanks heaps :) She ate a bit more babyfood today (much more than yesterday).

Isismommy26

just hang in there. sorry to hear about your baby. try phoenix worms also. just keep try with the baby food and try the baby puffs too its cereal but really puffy. you might also want to try juice in her food too. and try getting a dripper for her cage. most beardies seem to love the drippers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom