Beardie standing...weird?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had our Beardie for a few weeks, he's pretty young yet. Been shedding and eating just fine but today caught him standing up with his pelvis against the glass but leaning all the way back like he was pulling a move from the matrix or something. Is this normal??

I looked through the silly sleeping board and didn't see any pictures or descriptions of similar behavior, closest was just sleeping standing against the glass but tell you what his back looked broken. He's fine as far as I can tell? Moving fine, eating fine, etc. But idk, it was just alarming as hell. Am I just over reacting?

Eta: figured out pictures. Here's Copper doing his weird matrix pose...
93666-886292770.jpg

93666-4309502551.jpg

Should I be worried?

Garrus

Is there something above him out of frame that could be capturing his interest? My Arthur did something similar to try and bite the ventilation on his enclosure out of curiosity.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I think its just one of those weird positions they pull on you at times... He thinks it comfortable!

I did notice the pellets you are using as substrate, this is a dangerous thing to put dragons on, it is a big impaction risk if ingested. Loose substrates are not a good choice! Impaction can cause paralysis and death .
I always recommend, rough texture floor tile (easier to clean and disinfect and, will not promote bacteria growth or, viruses and, keeps their nails trimmed nicely), nonadhesive shelf liner, paper towels, newsprint and vinyl flooring. These are all easy to clean and, will not cause impaction.

Garrus

Agreed on the tiling, not having to worry about impaction with Arthur licking everything he sees is a godsend.

Ladydragon543

Original Poster
Yeah we've been doing mega research and found out that these pellets are bad, we just have to wait for Payday and then we are switching it out. The tile sounds like a great idea! We were leaning towards the vita sand but from what I can those are bad too. So tile it is!

Garrus

Ladydragon543":2x2r1it4 said:
Yeah we've been doing mega research and found out that these pellets are bad, we just have to wait for Payday and then we are switching it out. The tile sounds like a great idea! We were leaning towards the vita sand but from what I can those are bad too. So tile it is!
ANY particulate substrate is asking for an impaction. Their first method of investigating and exploring is their tongue. It isn't as bad when you don't feed them live food in their enclosure, but there is no particulate substrate which doesn't have the potential to do serious harm. Not a one.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Yep they are goofy little buggers when young .... it's not just a bearded dragon behavior too, my skinks all do that too.

As to the substrate .... please ditch the pellets , they are very dangerous as a substrate for a bearded dragon and impossible to keep hygienic and clean. Those pellets WILL KILL HIM.

You might find it beneficial to check methodically through my cheat sheet as I suspect you've received very bad advise from the seller.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Ladydragon543":wyhw15n4 said:
Don't wait, you have a perfect substrate in the pantry = absorbant kitchen grade paper toweling (comes in multi-roll packs). Simply remove the pellets and lay a few layers of paper toweling , is easy cleanup (remove soiled sheets and replace with clean sheets).

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
kingofnobbys":3aixxkz4 said:
Ladydragon543":3aixxkz4 said:
Don't wait, you have a perfect substrate in the pantry = absorbant kitchen grade paper toweling (comes in multi-roll packs). Simply remove the pellets and lay a few layers of paper toweling , is easy cleanup (remove soiled sheets and replace with clean sheets).

You can also just use paper towels or newspaper!

Ladydragon543

Original Poster
Thought I'd update y'all, we got some unexpected cash and were able to not only get him tile but a bigger tank too. Reptisun bulb for UVB is next up. :)
93666-8647513878.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a nice upgrade! 40g breeder? Picking up a T5 ReptiSun 10.0 when you can will set him up like a king =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom