Beardie... squeaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After running short on food for a while, we decided to start buying crickets from a different supplier who we knew had slightly larger crickets. After feeding him these (some were too big, but I made sure to pick out the big ones so he was eating ones pretty perfect for his 8.5 inch size) he started puffing up his beard and apparently breathing heavily - which is a regular occurrence, though I've never been sure why! Although this time after puffing his beard a couple times (kind of pulsing?) he kind of... squeaked? Or maybe it was more of wheezing? I'm not really sure! He started this yesterday and as far as I know it's only right after he finishes eating crickets or phoenix worms, and I'm not sure if he is agitated or sick or if he somehow just over-exerted himself by eating too fast? Because he does not seem to do it when I only give him a few crickets at a time... He seems to be acting fine otherwise, though he did start shedding the other day and could possibly just be in a bad mood? Any thoughts???

LadyMeridius

Hatchling Member
Mine barks when I put her back in cage before she wants to go back in =)

It could be just a noise he makes. Im sure others will chime in =)

My beardie does a wheezing sound after he eats his crickets also, and I am guessing it is because he is full and trying to make more room in his belly. It's almost like a little sigh just like humans do when we are full from eating, we take a deep breath. I don't know if that is true for sure, but that is just what I am assuming at least when it comes to my Baby. Sometimes my baby gets constipated and I need to give him prune baby food in a syringe and he squeaks when im trying to open his mouth and I feel horrible doing it, he just thinks I am hurting him and doesn't realize I am trying to help him! Anyways, got a little off topic there, but as long as your dragon doesn't seem like he is having trouble breathing or anything serious like that, it's probably a normal beardie behavior.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How much are you feeding him at one sitting?
You could try feeding a little less but more frequently to see if that helps out in case he is eating too much at one sitting.
Some do make noises though, a bark or squeak when they want something.
Just be sure the feeders are no larger than the space between the eyes.

How is he doing tonight?

Tracie

ozzybabe77

Original Poster
Thanks guys! :) I didn't think it was too serious, because he seemed to be breathing fine, but your responses definitely made me feel better! He seems to be doing fine now, I'm still feeding him twice a day, but ill only put 10 worms or crickets in at once, wait until he eats them, and then put more in and he seems to be making the noise less :mrgreen: So thankful for this site, I think I might otherwise go crazy from anxiety every time something changes :roll: just a mother's worry :lol:

Ozzy, I am the same way as you-a HUGE worrier! You just have to be so careful with beardies and there is so much information I learn all the time about taking care of them that it definitely can get stressful!!! I've had my Baby for 6 months now and I still freak out about small stuff especially when he doesn't poop I get extremely worried and panic until he goes! LOL...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom