Beardie Smell

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbattisti

Juvie Member
OK, so, we all know beardie poop smells awful. As we head into the summer, I'm finding that I'm having a hard time keeping Khalil's tank from stinking to high heaven. I'm typically not at home during the day, so when K does his business, it often sits for quite a while. I've taken to cleaning his tank completely every weekend. (Which is tedious.)

But the bottom line is that, these days, whenever I walk into my son's room, or even the entire upstairs if Mike's door has been left open, it flat-out stinks.

Does anyone have any magical tips for how to minimize beardie smells?

Oh, and here's what he looks like these days:

khalil_bowl.jpg

jjh1

Juvie Member
Is it the viv that smells or the actual beardie that does?
I with my beardies and I have 2 soon to be 3 my adults are given a soak 3 times a week and when they do they soak they poop in the tub water is changed and then I use a tiny bit of baby shampoo with a very soft tooth brush and gently scrub them.

I also clean up any poop right away if they happen to go in their vivs I use lysol wipes and no more smell.

with the tiles as I see you have in the viv use the wipes and give a clean of them all. You can also lift the tiles up there might be some dead crickets or whatever live prey you feed your guy.

because the poop sit for along time you could go to your local hardware store and grocery store and get one of those air sponges they go on the top of the tank I used them in my house when my hubby did smoke and it cleaned the air. That seems to help alot. I do still use them for my hamster cage just because and no smell what so ever.

You could also try 1 part vinegar with 3 parts water to fully clean the viv as well I will do that to clean my glass that way I never use bleach in my vivs at all.

Hope this helps
Joanne

Gail

BD.org Addict
Poo shouldn't smell so bad it stinks up a whole room, have you had him checked for parasites?

sbattisti

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'll try the air sponge. Khalil does tend to poop in his tank, and I get to it when I can, but it often sits for a while. He smells ok. :)

He was checked a little while back - regular checkup, no problems.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Hi there! :wave:

I would try to wake and bath him before leaving the house for the day. I do this on days I'm not going to be here when they go. Actually I do this with all my beardies every day to keep from them pooping in their enclosures. With 14 viv's in the house and that many poops a day it would definitely stink if I didn't. :puke:
And deep cleaning days would be a nightmare. :banghead:

sbattisti

Juvie Member
Original Poster
fresnowitte":2drh5nuw said:
Hi there! :wave:

I would try to wake and bath him before leaving the house for the day. I do this on days I'm not going to be here when they go. Actually I do this with all my beardies every day to keep from them pooping in their enclosures. With 14 viv's in the house and that many poops a day it would definitely stink if I didn't. :puke:
And deep cleaning days would be a nightmare. :banghead:

Ugh. I love this idea, but I already have to wake up at 5:45. I'm not sure I can bear to move that up by 30 mins! :)

grendel9

Juvie Member
Hey!!

Khalil is so beautiful. Er ... handsome. :D

What about bathing him at night? I'm lucky with my (lack of) schedule, so Grendel gets a bath almost every other day and rarely poops in her viv. But even when she does, it doesn't smell that bad. Or else I have a crappy sense of smell. :wink:

Could it be the roaches (as opposed to various worms)? Could they cause smellier poops? Is it possibly a boy thing?

Just throwing ideas out there.

Grendel says hi. :)

Lauram63110

Juvie Member
You really may not have to wake up earlier; you may just need to get him on a schedule. I have Lizz's lights on a timer that turns them on at 5:00 am. I get up at 5:30, so he has already been awake for 30 min. I feed him his supers in a separate tank as soon as I get up at 5:30. Between 5:50-06:00am I get in the shower and let him digest his food for awhile. As soon as I am out (approx 6:30), I run a little warm water in the bottom of the tub for him to bathe in and get him in the tub. He is usually in the tub for about 30 min. while I do hair/makeup. While he's in the tub, he poops. I wash it down the drain and might refill the tub for him depending on how soon it happens. I make sure he soaks/swims for 30 min a day. When I get him out, I pat him dry him with his towel and give him a little once over very lightly with a very soft toothbrush and put him back in the viv. Then I change his water, put out his salad and any other foods I give him, and I am out the door. He NEVER poops in the viv. NEVER. Honestly, he is so easy to care for, it's not funny. I consider him 'house trained" and I am not kidding when I say he housetrained so much easier than my dog! Can you tell I love the guy?

You just have to get a schedule going and it all falls into place. I vary the schedule slightly on Saturday/Sunday, the lights come on 30 min later, but if you vary too much, and the lights come on and he is up for a long time, you may get to clean up poop in the viv! I've learned my lesson! It is so much easier to tend to him and then go back to bed, so maybe HE has ME trained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom