beardie questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, i heard you can spray them,
were would i spray, the cage walls?
him?

How often do i bathe them?

When i got him from the petstore, he was in a 10 gallon tank, with Repti-bark!!!! :shock: :eek: :(
do you think theres a chance he could be impacted,
i dont know of a vet thats local in my area, for reptiles, there mostly for dogs/cats/rodents.

i dont think they give them baths alot, in petstores, should i give him a bath today?

he seems a bit lazy, all ways staying on the warm side of the tank, with the red bulb, and the temp reads 90.

what does a "white light" do?

Sorry for the questions, im just scared, this is my first beardie =]

hes 13-14 months.

LJean

Extreme Poster
Your temps are a bit too low if that is the basking spot temp. You would want it more around 100 for proper digestion. As for the red light, they need a bright light (think of the sun) to be happy.

Some spray their dragons with water, not the enclosure. You don't want the humidity too high in the tank. This can cause resperitory issues. As for bathing, once or twice a day for babies to keep them hydrated, a few times a week for adults. Luke warm water, only as deep as their arm pits. 15-20 minutes. Please be sure to keep an eye on him so he doesn't drown. If you hold him during the bath, make sure the vent area (where they poo) is in the water. Usually putting a wash cloth of something on the bottom helps them feel more at ease (not as slippery).

Trogdor_1

Juvie Member
Please go to the top of this page and read the Care Sheets. They will give you a lot of much needed info.

Also, please answer the following questions about your dragon and your set up:

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

ShadowLizard

Original Poster
How old is your dragon? 13-14 months
How long have you had your dragon? a day
How long is your dragon? maybe 12 inches
What is the sex of your dragon? boy, (i think)
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 30 gallon
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?alfalfa meal
Do you use UVB lights? yes
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?its a curly one.
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb? A day
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? i put it on the top of its screen on the cage.
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?i use a red light, and its a 100 watt.
What are the basking temps? i only have 1 thermameter on the warm side, im getting another soon, but its 90. (warm side)
What is the cool side temp? i dont know yet.
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? stick on
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?i stuck it kinda towards the bottem on the cage, (inside)
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? neither
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. crickets/greens
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? when ever i get him food, ill give him greens today, im getting them today, and, i gave him crickets last night, the guy at the petstore said to feed him crickets mondays and fridays, and greens the rest.
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? no
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?were getting some soon.
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? i dont know
Do you bath your dragon? How often? were giving him a bath today. i only had him one day.
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? yes
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? no
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?
no

Trogdor_1

Juvie Member
ShadowLizard said:
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 30 gallon
The smallest size recommended for an adult BD is a 40 gallon breeder.

What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?alfalfa meal
Any substrate that can be swallowed is potentially harmful. Replace this with paper towels or slate tiles.

If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?its a curly one.
Turn off this bulb ASAP. They coil/compact bulbs are VERY dangerous. You need to purchase a reptiSUN 10.0 tube.

How close can your dragon get to the UVB? i put it on the top of its screen on the cage.
Your dragon needs to be able to get within 6 inches of the tube UVB bulb.

Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?i use a red light, and its a 100 watt.
You need to use a bright white basking bulb. Dragons do not recognize the red as a basking light.

What are the basking temps? i only have 1 thermameter on the warm side, im getting another soon, but its 90. (warm side)
What is the cool side temp? i dont know yet.
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? stick on
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?i stuck it kinda towards the bottem on the cage, (inside)
Go buy a probe thermometer from walmart. Its about 12 bucks. It will give you proper results. The thermometers that stick to the glass can be up to 20 degrees off. Take the temps on the cool side and then on his basking spot (exactly where he sits). Also, his basking temp needs to be about 100* F.

What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. crickets/greens
Go to beautifuldragons.com and look at their nutrition chart. They have a great list of what veggies to feed and how often.

How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? when ever i get him food, ill give him greens today, im getting them today, and, i gave him crickets last night, the guy at the petstore said to feed him crickets mondays and fridays, and greens the rest.
You should offer greens at least every other day. Also, feeding smaller portions of live feeders everyday is better than large portions 2 times a week.

Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? no
Usually if you get them from a pet store, the store does this for you.

Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?were getting some soon.
Pick up ReptiCal Calcium with D3 and w/o phosphorus and also their vitamin supplement, too. He should get calcium 3 days per week and vitamins 2 days per week.

Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? i dont know
Do you bath your dragon? How often? were giving him a bath today. i only had him one day.
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? yes
Keep track of his bowel movements. Also, bathing at least once per week is recommended.

LJean

Extreme Poster
Thank you for answering those questions. They always help us give you some insight on the set-up etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryjane91383
Top Bottom