Beardie Not Hungry

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Hi my beardie, Basil, is just not eating. He has never been a huge eater but has always been active and alert, clear eyes, pooping once a day etc. Over the last few weeks it has been a real struggle though. I haven't had him from a baby, he is roughly 2 1/2 I think. He has a ceramic heater for his basking spot and I have just changed his uvb to reti sun 5. I am just about to add a repti sun 2.0 bulb also to come on 1st thing in the morning for half an hour (to wake him up gently :) ) this will be timed to go off when the main uvb comes on. I was going to use a repti sun 10 but was advised that 5 was plenty. His tank is 4ft long. he still likes to be out and sits on my shoulder, wanders around the bed, watches tv with me :) He isnt very big at all really and I am worried this lack of food will make him ill. Don't even ask about getting him to eat his greens! I only have a stick on temp thing at the moment as I had to take my new thermostat back as I am sure it wasnt working. Basil does move from the cool end to his basking spot and back again so I assume he is regulating his heat ok.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you all.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Im afraid the 5 is by no means enough, they need a 10. they are desert dweller so need the high levels of UVb that perhaps other lizards dont.

You also need to swap the ceramic heat emitter for a bright white bulb for basking. The bright white light protects their eyes from damage that the UVb can cause (even the good UVB bulbs can cause damage)

I would also get a digital thermometer ASAP, the stick on ones will only be measuring the temp of the surface to which they are attached, and the thermostats dont go up high enough to measure the basking spot anyway. It could be a few degrees too low for him, but you need to measure to work it out. They are very cheap.

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you for the advice Bugsy :) Is any normal bright white bulb ok? I was told that the cermaic one would be perfect and he wouldnt need the light as well :( I have been given so much different advice I am paranoid now *sigh*. I have posted in the enclosure thread as well about the lighting. He has just eaten 2 locusts! Think I may go out and buy a bucketload and hand feed him them :D

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
did you get advice from a pet shop by any chance?? Spend some time browsing today, there are many good posts and lots of very helpful articles here on bearded dragon.org, if you have any more questions, or want to know UK suppliers etc just PM me!

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I have decided that at best pet shops are just ignorant and at worst they are downright destructive! I have looked through the forum topics here and learned so much in such a short time. Unfortunately it means throwing out a lot of what I have in my setup but if it helps Basil the Beardie then I shall do it willingly :D Thank you (and all others) for the support. I don't feel so panicky now. :)

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
We all found this place in some state of panic! Dont worry theres always new stuff to learn!

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
It's actually very encouraging to see that many others have queries as well and no one is treated like an ***** just because they are struggling :) Also it's refreshing to see the technical terms explained and pics being used for clarity. I am so so so pleased I found this site! :D The guy at the petshop actually owns beardies and yet his advice was still wrong :/ I intend to trust the advice on here from now on :)

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
ive spoken to people at shops who tell me they own beardies, and move onto the next customer and say 'oh yes i own iggies' I think they say it just to make you feel you can trust them, shame really because for every person who does their own research, 10 will believe only what the shop or a friend tells them.

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well, I have learnt my lesson now :) This little chap has cost me a small fortune so far, but I am determined to get it right. There are many cries of "If only.." in our house at the moment. "If only I had checked this forum out first" "if only i hadnt listened to petshops" ah well, live and learn. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom