Beardie not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigyitachi

Hatchling Member
I Purchased Lizzy when she was 9 months old. She is currently 1 year old, weight 220 grams and 16 inches long. She's not eating very much, about ~7 superworms every 3-4 days. I do have dubias but she's not interested in them. I also purchased Hornworms (1.5 inch) and she only ate two these past two days. Poops very little about once every 2 days since she havent been eating much. She's not a fruit fan and only eats veggies consist of Collard green, mustard green (rarely carrots and kale). She does nibble on her salad. She looks fine. When the light and basking light turns on she's doesnt go there right away maybe 1 hr or when i move her. She does clings to the glass tanks, moving around, and trying to get out so i guess she's active. I'm waiting on reptaid to come and see if that will help her. Could she be in brumation?? Also how do i get her to eat dubias since my colony is exploding. When i first got her she actually ate 3 dubias, but since then she's not interested at all. :(.
Setup:
I believe its a 36 long tank 4 feet long, 13-14 inch width, 13 inch high
Reptisun 10.0 (3 months old)
Basking lights (60 watts)
Temps on basking light 95-100 (use digital thermometer)
Cool side 75-80
Substract is paper towel
Baths 2-3 times per week.
Dust on her veggies 2 day of herptivite 5 day of calcium with 3d.
She doesnt like her feeder's dusted at all.
I'm sorry if im missing any other info.
Thanks appreciate it :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your tank setup looks fine. The basking temperatures are good but you could try maybe increasing it just a few degrees possibly, to around 103 or so to see if that would give her a boost.
The Reptisun 10 is that a tube bulb or a compact/coil light?
Is there a plastic lens covering the bulb if you have a fluorescent tube? How far away is the Reptisun 10 from her, distance wise?
Did she have any UVB exposure before you got her, do you know?
It is a possibility that it could be brumation since she is a year old. They do brumate that early.
Do you have any pictures of her?

Tracie

Prodigyitachi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm sorry. The reptisun 10.0 is the fluorescent tube and its on top of the cage screen (no plastic len). As for her basking spot its about 6 inches away from the reptisun. I should correct my basking temps since it was under her when i was checking sorry. Its actually 98 degree's right on her log.
She do have UVB exploser before i got her. The owner was a nice person who take very good care of her dragon. She only sold it for her own personal reason. There is nothing wrong with the dragon itself.
I should include that during I believe August (mid-end) she shed her whole two legs and feet.
Here are recent pics of her taken in september
DSC03278.jpg

DSC03270-1.jpg

DSC03277.jpg

DSC03273.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She looks good, overall, very nice coloring too! Though she could stand to gain a little weight, but she is still young so she should fill out quite a bit more. How long have you had her for now?
The temperatures are fine then, since you did remeasure. A range of 95-105 is acceptable.
It is a remote possibility that she could be slowing down for the winter a little bit.
Good that there is no plastic lens covering the tube bulb. However, the screen will filter out a good amount of UVB though, roughly 30% or so. Maybe you could look into trying to mount the tube bulb underneath of the screen or you could cut a hole in the screen to allow a little more UVB to go through.

How is she doing today?

Tracie

Prodigyitachi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks :D. As for mounting the light fixture, i dont think thats possible since the fixture is very heavy and my tank is glass. As for cutting the screen, i feel iffy about it. Perhaps i can just make her log higher. Thursday she ate one 3 inch hornworm. Friday nothing. She actually went to bed early trying to hide under the paper towel. I tried putting her back on the basking area. After i check back on her she went under her log where her cave is and slept there (She havent went in her cave for 2 months which surprises me). So far she's on Reptaid for 2 days. I got her on june 25th 2010, so about 3 months. She havent been eating much since I got her. Lately since this week every morning I put her on a log next to the window so she can get some sun for about 1-2 hrs. I just wish she can eat!!!!! :evil: :banghead:. My dubia colony is exploding, superworms as well since i breed them, and hornworms are growing very quickly (60+). Should i administrate liquid calcium mixed w/ calcium d3, since she only nibble on her salad like 3-4 bites or thats not necessary since she's getting sunlight?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If you can get her within 6 inches of the Reptisun 10 tube that would be ideal since there is screen in between her & the UVB. Moving the basking platform up slightly is fine, as long as she wont be too close to the basking light. What wattage is the basking light?
Putting her by the window is great, but unless you have open screen she is only benefiting from the warmth as UVB doesn't penetrate through glass.
It kind of sounds like she is trying to slow down, possibly to try & brumate. What type of liquid calcium do you have? If you have powdered calcium with D3, you can mix a tiny pinch in with some water or a bit of apple or cranberry juice to give to her.
Maybe the Reptaid will help her out a little bit. Be sure to keep her hydrated during the Reptaid cycle.
Did you increase the basking temperatures just a bit to help boost her activity?

Tracie

Prodigyitachi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I opened the window so only the mesh screen is there, no glass. I have Liquid calcium 3.28 mg/ml from bugdelite. Yeah perhaps your right about her going into brumation :( . She's been trying to go into her cave. I closed that up since the cave is slightly small (hard for her to turn around, head out). I made a hide for her from various logs and she's been hiding there all day. Usually on avg how long does brumation last?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is she doing today? She looks good, overall. Your setup looks fine so I don't think it is your lighting or temperatures that are off.
Did you move her platform a little closer to her UVB light?
I am sure she is getting some UVB exposure then through the screen from the window, so that is helpful.
She is 1 year so brumation is highly probable. The only other thing you could do is just get a fecal done on her to make sure she doesn't have worms or parasites. If she is in the clear, brumation is fine for her. At her age though, she probably wont brumate for very long. It can last from a few days, to weeks or sometimes a few months even in some cases. Since she is young, she may be up & down somewhat often.
The liquid calcium is from my site. So, I know she has gotten the correct amount if you dosed it to her weight, that is not a problem there. How often are you giving it now? Since she is an adult, you can use it 3 times per week. If she fully goes into brumation & doesn't bask, then she wont need it for a little while. Please refresh my memory, did she have metabolic bone disease? She doesn't look like she has had any bone problems, but I am just checking.

Tracie

Prodigyitachi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She doesnt have any symptoms of MBD so im assuming no. Yes her basking area is closer to the UVB. As for liquid calcium ill dose her 3 days as you mentioned (she loves the flavor lol). She's hiding under her hammock almost all day. If i move her she would bask. She nibbled on salad this morning and night she ate one 3.5 inch hornworm. She's basking right now. She may be in semi-brumation?? As for fecal exam I dont know if there's one near me that specialize in reptiles, there all cats and dogs (owned a dog). Is there a site i can search for or you know of in NewYork Queens? Thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

No problem! :D
I am glad that she likes the flavor of calcium. If she is brumating partially, her body wont process things much so cutting it back is good. Adults don't need as much calcium as babies & juvies, either. If she goes fully into brumation & doesn't bask at all, then she wont need any supplementation until she comes out of it.
Good luck finding a vet. The hervetconnection is usually a good link to find a vet. A fecal should be an easy thing to get accomplished.
At least she ate a little something for you though.

Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom