Beardie not eating question about MBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

momofmcc

I have had Spike for about 4 months now and have been using the Zilla Desert 50 bulb. After doing some research on here I think that may be my problem. His appetite has been decreasing and he hasn't ate at all the last 2 days. He also has a bump on his backbone between his shoulder blades. I tried to take a picture of it, but it is hard to see it in the picture. I plan on getting him a new bulb because I am thinking that is the problem. I hope he doesn't have MBD. Can that be cured by switching bulbs? I don't want him to suffer. I also have a skink in a different cage that has this bulb. He seems to have lost weight and today I noticed he is missing his crickets when he strikes at them. I am afraid his eyesight is not so good anymore. Also if I can buy the ReptiSun bulbs, does anyone know if they will work in the Zilla fixtures? I hate to buy new fixtures also if the others will work.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The MBD if caught early is very treatable, & somewhat reversable as long as there are no major bone deformities present. If he has a hard bump on his upper back, then, it is a physical deformity starting. I don't know how much of that will reverse, probably not a whole lot of it will go back once the bones grow that way.
The Zilla light fixture & the Reptisun 10 light I think will fit. It looks like they are both T12 lights. I cannot guarantee it, but it "appears" that they will. You may want to double check the lightbulb sizes to make sure before buying it.
Definitely getting a better bulb will help tremendously. What type of calcium do you use for him & how often do you use it?
If he has a hard time catching his crickets, you may need to slow them down by putting them in the fridge or handfeed them to him.
You could also give some chicken or turkey babyfood with squash too so he can get more nutrition.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
momofmcc":89cfd said:
I have had Spike for about 4 months now and have been using the Zilla Desert 50 bulb. After doing some research on here I think that may be my problem. His appetite has been decreasing and he hasn't ate at all the last 2 days. He also has a bump on his backbone between his shoulder blades. I tried to take a picture of it, but it is hard to see it in the picture. I plan on getting him a new bulb because I am thinking that is the problem. I hope he doesn't have MBD. Can that be cured by switching bulbs? I don't want him to suffer. I also have a skink in a different cage that has this bulb. He seems to have lost weight and today I noticed he is missing his crickets when he strikes at them. I am afraid his eyesight is not so good anymore. Also if I can buy the ReptiSun bulbs, does anyone know if they will work in the Zilla fixtures? I hate to buy new fixtures also if the others will work.

I'm sorry your lizards are feeling poorly. :(

You're already in excellent hands here, but just wanted to lend support. Our beardie was under a Zilla Desert Series 50 bulb (the compact), for 3 months. She was becoming lethargic, eating less and less, closing her left eye most of the time, stopped growing, all the early signs of MBD were there, and in addition, the eye issues I'd read about. It was then I went looking for help, and ended up here. With proper direction, I was able to make some changes to her environment, and once that was done, she turned things around quite quickly. And while she is small for her age, she is seemingly making up for lost time, is very happy and very healthy (the eye issues resolved themselves). Can't stress enough how the proper enclosure environment can make all the difference.

The best to you. I hope your beardie and skink are feeling better very soon.

Em

gizmosmom

I had the same problem with this light. Now I am using a MVB bulb and love it. The zilla fixture I had was a 48" hood combo with the long floresent tube uvb. Unfortunatly, when I went to get the reptisun 10, I found out they don't make it in the size I need. My hood uses a T-5 size bulb, and ironically enough zilla is the only company that makes a uvb in that size. So I just quit using it. I shut it off for a couple days and just used a regular bulb for heat until I could get my MVB.

momofmcc

Original Poster
Thank you for your help. I ended up driving the 60 miles to the pet store and got the ReptiSun bulb and light fixture that I needed. I also bought some liquid calcium and gave him a couple of drops of it with an eyedropper. Today he is just sleeping a lot. He did get up and eat 5 meal worms and had a bowel movement so at least I know his organs are working. He just wants to sleep all the time and that worries me. I hope that he pulls out of this. I went ahead and ordered some phoenix worms also. Thanks again for the help and pray for Spike!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Geez, sorry you had to drive so far to find a light fixture! I am happy to hear though that you found the Reptisun 10 tube bulb too & some liquid calcium.
I will keep Spike in my thoughts! I hope you got this in time before he got too bad. At least he did eat a little bit today.
Please keep us posted on him.
Which brand of liquid calcium did you get him? Let me know & how much is in the bottle, so I can help you dose him properly.

Tracie

momofmcc

Original Poster
The liquid calcium I got is the Zilla brand (imagine that...) and is an 8 oz. bottle. I gave him a couple of drops with the eyedropper. He is still just lying in his cave but he has eaten about 10 small mealworms today. He wants nothing to do with his crickets or his greens. I did order him some phoenix worms as I hear they are high in calcium. Thank you for all of your help! :lol:

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
momofmcc":b475a said:
The liquid calcium I got is the Zilla brand (imagine that...) and is an 8 oz. bottle. I gave him a couple of drops with the eyedropper. He is still just lying in his cave but he has eaten about 10 small mealworms today. He wants nothing to do with his crickets or his greens. I did order him some phoenix worms as I hear they are high in calcium. Thank you for all of your help! :lol:

Well, maybe Zilla is good for something, then. *sigh* Pulling for your little dragon! Phoenix worms are wonderful. Full of calcium, and they tend to stimulate appetite as most beardies LOVE them. Our beardie gets seriously excited when she sees me coming with the bowl. If someone told me that she get excited about eating a couple of months ago, I wouldn't have believed them.

Good luck. Hope things continue to look up for you and your dragon.

Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom