Beardie not eating and vivarium questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lekvilius

Hello, i've had my bearded dragon for about 4 days now. His name is Smaug an absolute beauty. I don't know if I should be worried but I've had him for 4 days now and he only eats 3-4 crickets/hopers a day. Not sure if equipment that came with vivarium from petstore is good enough but looking at thermometer looks like I'm getting good temperatures. Cool area is 86°F basking spot 98°F. UVB lamp is from Arcadia dessert 30w 10%+. Just ordered some waxworms hoping he will prefer more than crickets or hoppers as I read for baby dragons waxworm shell is ok to digest. Would appreciate some tips or help of how to help him eat more or should I just wait till he will settle in? Thank you!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The tube bulb you are using is the Arcadia D3 12%? I see it isn't in a fixture with a reflective
backing? I would recommend getting a tube bulb fixture with reflective backing for your tube
bulb so that the light is specifically directed downward towards your dragon instead of glaring
out & away from him. The tube bulb needs to be mounted directly overhead. What type of
basking light do you have? The tank looks nice & bright in there based on the picture.
The thermometer you are using is the round analogue type? Those are known for being a bit
inaccurate. We recommend getting either a digital probe or a temp gun for more accurate
readings on your temperatures. The temperatures are crucial to their health & in their
appetites.
What sized crickekts & hoppers do you use? They should be smaller than the space between
his eyes, to avoid impaction. Also, you have only had him a few days & they will usually go
through a relocation type of stress which is absolutely normal. He is in a new home so he will
need to settle in a bit, too.
He looks very cute basking there!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom