Beardie Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there, I have been reading posts on here for awhile now. Spent the last 4 weeks researching to be a Beardie owner. Close to dialing in my 20 gallon tank for a juvenile Beardie. I have a Repti Zoo Desert 10.0 UVB T5 Lamp mounted on the top and I have a 8.5 basking lamp with an adjustable temp dial, but wonder if I should go down to a 5.5 lamp?
Also what do folks find their beardie prefer to "bask" on? tree, hammock, rock, etc?

thanks yall

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
I’m not familiar with Reptizoo products but from the little research I’ve done they may not be the best choice of t5 but I don’t want be a judge of anyone so I think Cooperdragon would be the one to ask about testing results for the particular bulb you’re using. In a 20 gallon tank I think it’s fine to use the 8.5 inch dome as long as as you use a lower watt halogen or incandescent flood light something that creates a good basking temperature but doesn’t overheat the enclosure. Which in my mind a par halogen reflector bulb will be the best at creating a good hot spot but won’t heat the viv to much like a reptile basking bulb would. In a small enclosure it’s very difficult to create a temperature gradient or uvb gradient for that matter. Not telling you what to do but I would save up to invest in a 4x2x2 or at least a 50gallon enclosure it’s much easier to work with heat and uvb. As far as basking decor I go for hikes all the time and find cool rocks and branches to add to my enclosures much cheaper and more interesting. I have shelves full of rocks and branches that I use to change up the enclosures periodically. Watch your dragon and see what he likes to bask on by offering him all types of materials. Rocks obviously retain heat better and radiates it back into the viv but take longer to hit temperatures than wood materials. Just play around with it lol.

PacificNWbeardie

Original Poster
I’m not familiar with Reptizoo products but from the little research I’ve done they may not be the best choice of t5 but I don’t want be a judge of anyone so I think Cooperdragon would be the one to ask about testing results for the particular bulb you’re using. In a 20 gallon tank I think it’s fine to use the 8.5 inch dome as long as as you use a lower watt halogen or incandescent flood light something that creates a good basking temperature but doesn’t overheat the enclosure. Which in my mind a par halogen reflector bulb will be the best at creating a good hot spot but won’t heat the viv to much like a reptile basking bulb would. In a small enclosure it’s very difficult to create a temperature gradient or uvb gradient for that matter. Not telling you what to do but I would save up to invest in a 4x2x2 or at least a 50gallon enclosure it’s much easier to work with heat and uvb. As far as basking decor I go for hikes all the time and find cool rocks and branches to add to my enclosures much cheaper and more interesting. I have shelves full of rocks and branches that I use to change up the enclosures periodically. Watch your dragon and see what he likes to bask on by offering him all types of materials. Rocks obviously retain heat better and radiates it back into the viv but take longer to hit temperatures than wood materials. Just play around with it lol.
thank you for the advice

fcooper

Hatchling Member
Hey there, I have been reading posts on here for awhile now. Spent the last 4 weeks researching to be a Beardie owner. Close to dialing in my 20 gallon tank for a juvenile Beardie. I have a Repti Zoo Desert 10.0 UVB T5 Lamp mounted on the top and I have a 8.5 basking lamp with an adjustable temp dial, but wonder if I should go down to a 5.5 lamp?
Also what do folks find their beardie prefer to "bask" on? tree, hammock, rock, etc?

thanks yall

I bought reptile-safe driftwood and I love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom