Beardie never wants to move- when is he actually brumating?

katk

Hi, so I know there is a lot of info about brumation but I don't know what this is. Tofi is probably close to 2 years old and I've never been able to find an explanation for his behavior. Let me just say that I've gone over his husbandry many times on here and everything is normal in terms of lighting, heat, feeding, etc. We even just changed out his UVB bulb in case it had gotten old ineffective.

About a year ago he started exhibiting some brumation-like behavior- hanging out on the cool side and rarely moving or basking. After a couple of months or so of being worried, I took him to the vet who found a very mild case of parasites (she said it was very common and low levels didn't always warrant treatment) and gave me meds for him. She also advised me to leave him alone because she thought he looked really healthy otherwise. I treated him and let him "brumate" for a few months but his behavior never changed. He will move to his cool spot from his basking spot, but that is the only movement he ever makes. If he's already in his cool spot he simply won't move for days on end (besides lifting his head when he wakes up). I eventually just started moving him to the basking spot every morning and feeding him when he'd been there for awhile. Once moved, he usually stayed there until evening, at which point he'd go back to the cool spot and the cycle would begin again. Lately, when I move him to his basking spot, he stays there for maybe an hour and then moves back to the cool spot. On Saturday he actually moved to hide underneath his basking area (which is a rock perched on top of of pedestal). He hasn't eaten for several days now, and stopped eating his veggies months ago. I've left him alone and haven't fed him but I'm not sure what I should do. He sits in the cool area, but not under his hide, and all he does is simply lift his head (he has a window). He pooped about a week ago and it was normal and healthy looking. Unfortunately, my vet suddenly closed recently without warning and I don't have another.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi, so I know there is a lot of info about brumation but I don't know what this is. Tofi is probably close to 2 years old and I've never been able to find an explanation for his behavior. Let me just say that I've gone over his husbandry many times on here and everything is normal in terms of lighting, heat, feeding, etc. We even just changed out his UVB bulb in case it had gotten old ineffective.

About a year ago he started exhibiting some brumation-like behavior- hanging out on the cool side and rarely moving or basking. After a couple of months or so of being worried, I took him to the vet who found a very mild case of parasites (she said it was very common and low levels didn't always warrant treatment) and gave me meds for him. She also advised me to leave him alone because she thought he looked really healthy otherwise. I treated him and let him "brumate" for a few months but his behavior never changed. He will move to his cool spot from his basking spot, but that is the only movement he ever makes. If he's already in his cool spot he simply won't move for days on end (besides lifting his head when he wakes up). I eventually just started moving him to the basking spot every morning and feeding him when he'd been there for awhile. Once moved, he usually stayed there until evening, at which point he'd go back to the cool spot and the cycle would begin again. Lately, when I move him to his basking spot, he stays there for maybe an hour and then moves back to the cool spot. On Saturday he actually moved to hide underneath his basking area (which is a rock perched on top of of pedestal). He hasn't eaten for several days now, and stopped eating his veggies months ago. I've left him alone and haven't fed him but I'm not sure what I should do. He sits in the cool area, but not under his hide, and all he does is simply lift his head (he has a window). He pooped about a week ago and it was normal and healthy looking. Unfortunately, my vet suddenly closed recently without warning and I don't have another.
I am going to flag the post to Drache613 in the meantime please post a pic of the tank lighting and him - its better if we can see if there is something we missed
here is a website to find a reptile vet -- www.arav.org
if your in a small area type in the biggest city closest to you
@Drache613

katk

Original Poster
IMG_6757.jpeg
IMG_6756.jpeg

Here he is this morning. This is what he does all day every day, for about a year now, unless I move him. At the time this was taken the cool side was 75 and the basking spot was 91. (It's usually around 95 most of the day.)
IMG_6755.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
View attachment 70575 View attachment 70576

Here he is this morning. This is what he does all day every day, for about a year now, unless I move him. At the time this was taken the cool side was 75 and the basking spot was 91. (It's usually around 95 most of the day.)
View attachment 70577
Try changing out the basking decor piece- it almost looks like it's giving off a red hue on it- what brand and bulb is the basking bulb?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You mean the rock? What's wrong with that? Do you think it gets too hot?
It's possible that it's getting too hot - it's trial and error - if it doesn't change the behavior then we know it's not that- just trying to rule out things

katk

Original Poster
It's possible that it's getting too hot - it's trial and error - if it doesn't change the behavior then we know it's not that- just trying to rule out things
Got it. I'll switch that and the log. I put him up there an hour ago, and sure enough, he just climbed down and walked over to his cool corner. I'll switch them now and put him back up on the log. Will also try feeding him today. I'll report back!

katk

Original Poster
Got it. I'll switch that and the log. I put him up there an hour ago, and sure enough, he just climbed down and walked over to his cool corner. I'll switch them now and put him back up on the log. Will also try feeding him today. I'll report back!
Update: I switched the decor and he immediately climbed off the log and went back to the cool side. I've put him back there twice now and each time he goes right back to his cool corner after about 15-20 minutes. He did eat a few worms but refuses to eat his veggies. And he simply refuses to bask!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Update: I switched the decor and he immediately climbed off the log and went back to the cool side. I've put him back there twice now and each time he goes right back to his cool corner after about 15-20 minutes. He did eat a few worms but refuses to eat his veggies. And he simply refuses to bask!
Getting help--
@AHBD
@Drache613

Dar21

Beardie name(s)
Darren
Just wondering if you have seen any improvement or found a solution as I am having a similar issue for the past few weeks and no lighting/ heat adjustments seem to be helping 🤦🏼‍♀️

katk

Original Poster
Just wondering if you have seen any improvement or found a solution as I am having a similar issue for the past few weeks and no lighting/ heat adjustments seem to be helping 🤦🏼‍♀️
Sadly no, sorry. All he has done today is lift his head. This seems to be his existence and I really don't know how to take care of him! If I just ignore him, how do I keep him alive?? Has he lost the will to live?? I know Beardies can get depressed.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom