Beardie looks skinny!WHAT SHOULD I DO?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamb

I have a 6 month old dragon, he's 13 in. after he poos, he looks like he has extra skin on his back. But after he eats he looks HUGE. Is there anything wrong? Should I try and make him gain weight? If so, how? Or is this normal?

LJean

Extreme Poster
Do you know how much he weighs? Can you show us a picture of him? How much does he eat in a day? What foods are you feeding? Do you bath or spray him?
Some of these things might help us. :)

Adamb

Original Poster
LJean":ceecd said:
Do you know how much he weighs? Can you show us a picture of him? How much does he eat in a day? What foods are you feeding? Do you bath or spray him?
Some of these things might help us. :)

I have pictures but i dont know the code/or how to post them. If you could tell me that'd be great!=D

I do not know how much he weighs.

He eats 20-30 adult crickets. Romaine lettuce is always avaiable to him. Ocasional meal worm and once in awhile waxworm.
He also LOVES starwberries but on another note is that okay for him?

I bathe him once a week and spray him twice a day.

He's six months old in a 20 gallon (not for long) I'm in the process of making a 4'L 2'D 2'H enclosure for him.

I use Repti sand, which I hearing is bad? What can i use instead?

I use a 75 watt zoo med UVA basking lamp ( any better ones I'd love to know, it always breaks)
And a repti glo uvb which I'm planning on getting a new one, any recommendations?

THANKS!!!!=D

Trogdor80

Hatchling Member
Lettuce is high water/low nutrition. You should probably try and switch to collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, or bok choy

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
The wrinkleing on the sides of his back can be a sign of dehydation. But I'll wait for the pic's so we can see exactly what were dealing with. Also what do his poops look like are the urates (the white part) hard?

As far as another choice of substrate many members here like tile as it is very easy to keep clean and maintain.
But a couple different options would be......
Paper
Paper towel
Non adhesive self liner
Repti-carpet
Non adhesive linoleum

If you feel you must use sand its recommended that you wait until 12 months of age an only use a sifted play sand.

Also here's a link to a great nutritional value chart on some beardie foods;
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

Adamb

Original Poster
fresnowitte":82a23 said:
The wrinkleing on the sides of his back can be a sign of dehydation. But I'll wait for the pic's so we can see exactly what were dealing with. Also what do his poops look like are the urates (the white part) hard?

As far as another choice of substrate many members here like tile as it is very easy to keep clean and maintain.
But a couple different options would be......
Paper
Paper towel
Non adhesive self liner
Repti-carpet
Non adhesive linoleum

If you feel you must use sand its recommended that you wait until 12 months of age an only use a sifted play sand.

Also here's a link to a great nutritional value chart on some beardie foods;
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

Thanks for all the help! :)

Ill get to up loading the pics soon.

msmaui

Juvie Member
You stated you have a ReptiGlo UVB light. The ReptiGlo 8 is alright but do not use the ReptiGlo 10. They've been known to cause eye issues is dragons. Also, it needs to be a linear tube light, not a coil light. The ReptiSUN 10 tube is a good recommendation for a UVB light.

Adamb

Original Poster
fresnowitte":8c813 said:
msmaui":8c813 said:
You stated you have a ReptiGlo UVB light. The ReptiSUN 10 tube is a good recommendation for a UVB light.
Good catch, :wink: I missed that very important bit of information.
I agree stay away from all coil and compacts.

ARRHH!

I JUST went out and got another coil!!!! :-(

What do u reccommend i do?

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Return the coil for a reptisun 10.0.
If you need a fixture you can use the ones they sell at the hardware stores for around $10.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Your Welcome! :wink:
Sorry you have to change lighting again. :(
But on a good note by changing out the coil you will see a great improvement in your beardie. :D

:) And we love pic's around here so I'm going hold you to those pic's. :wink: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom