Beardie Leash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pleaides

Juvie Member
hello
i know theres many topics on leashes but i havent a clue what size to get for my 2, could someone who maybe has one already please let me know a size i need to get? also i think it may be discontinued, does anyone know anything about this?

Mischief is 468grams and 18", 15 months old.
venus is 566grams and 14", 2 years 7 months.

a size idea please? oh i almost forgot im looking at the t rex comfort leashes, and read somewhere that there being discontinued.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
We bought a med iguana leash and had to cut the top part of it to make it more comfortable and alow room for their beards. It fits Chimaira hes 16 inchs (dont know his weight)8 months old.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
I have tried everything on the planet and now I use a soft shoe lace, the flat kind and just fashion it loosely to make a little vest like fit. It's cheap, very light weight and I'm sure its more comfortable, and is usually super handy in a pinch!

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
If you are debating between 2 sizes, get the bigger one. I got a T-rex leash for Budo that looked about right, even when I took it out of the package, but it was much too small when I tried to get it on him. Making your own leash is also an option; use felt for the arm holes and use shoelaces for the lead.

Pleaides

Juvie Member
Original Poster
hmm well i got the medium comfort leash and i got one leg in but he froze so wasnt about to force his other leg in so left it in the end. ive now heard this ones been discontinued because of the dangers it brings. apparently beardies break their legs and things but surely this is down to owners fault, i cant see it breaking their legs unless forced in this is why i didnt bother in the end.
wouldnt shoe laces chafe against their skins? just wondering because i wouldny want him to get any rope burns or anything.

herpfreak - would you maybe be able to post a pic so i could get a better idea of how its done?

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Here are pics of the shoe lace leash. i use the wide flat ones that are stretchy and they work on juvies and adults. I've tried leather but its too thin and doesn't stretch. You also have to understand is you only use a leash to prevent them from jumping off you when you are outside or in a public place, its for their safety and your peace of mind. Some of my calmest dragons will go crazy if they see a bird.
leash1.jpg

leash2.jpg

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Thank you, its my daughters . You should see her when she isn't cold. I woke her up to take the picture, I felt so bad!

Pleaides

Juvie Member
Original Poster
seadooz - sorry i thought it was herpfreak that had the shoelace leash but it was you after i re-read the posts, lol

oh no i definitely understand that the leash is purely for not letting them run away or when your holding them, thats all i wanted it for, certainly not for walking them, lol, as cute as that would be but i could imagine this is how owners break their dragons legs and things, my Venus doesnt mind the leash she never wanders far though and is fairly lazy and slow its my Mischief (hence the name) thats quite flighty when hes on the run, he sits still long enough for me to try to put him in it but he freezes so until he relaxes im not even going to try to force his leg into it! i certainly dont want to be the cause for a broken leg! i cannot handle him for more than a few minutes during the day, proper snuggle time is after lights out when he calms down and goes a kip, id love for him to get some natural sunshine this summer and obviously this is what i wanted the leash for just so i dont lose him, but it may be that he will have just a ew minutes of sunshine at a time, maybe he will then learn if hes good boy and sits still and no scratching then he has longer in the sun! LOL

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Oh, I didn't think that! ha ha, picture it. You are super smart for wanting a leash! I lost my favorite dragon ever :( outside. Even the calmest dragons can get really get scared very easy and take off like crazy! It depends on the beardie. The one in the picture, I never use a leash, all she does is dig a hole every time we go outside, weirdo. She doesn't even have a cage, I have a clamp light on a futon and she runs around the house.

We have red tail hawks around here and I've seen them come down for my dragons so I can't turn my back for half a second. My boys are all super freaked out when we are outside, very uneasy. We all wear skate shoes which always come with extra laces so I have tons of them. I tie a slip knot and put the loop around the neck fairly snug just so they can't back out. Then I take the long end and go under the belly under the arms and back up, then put the end through the slip knot loop and pull it snug. The best part is that you can snug and loosen it however you need, I even have a 12" juvie I use one on. When we go outside I put them on the rocks that line my flower bed and I have plumeria that have tons of branches coming out and up over the rocks. I tie the leash off above them so they have a limited radius and can't bolt. To make them feel safe, I have various leafy plants in pots I put close to them so they have shade and cover. I can be washing my truck 10 feet away and I know I won't be beardie hunting in 5 minutes.

I had 4 dragons outside yesterday, talk about nerve racking, the 2 old ladies don't move but the boys can't control themselves. If they seem too stressed I take them back inside. Little by little I'm hoping they get used to it. Plus, when I'm working in the yard and need something from Lowes or Home Depot, I just grab my lizard and go.

Pleaides

Juvie Member
Original Poster
LOL that sounds like such fun! i wish i could take both mine out at once but i cant in fear they will mate, naughty dragons, their both old enough to breed but miss owner here cannot afford it, has no space and not enough time to shower lil buby dragons with but when i have those 3 things i will, so my boy proper black beards and head bobs at her and my girl (the lil hussy) will arm wave at him, silly dragons, so they have never met face to face as yet just through glass from time to time. ive bred cornsnakes in the past but was better equipped then than i am now, would need to do loads more research also in fear my boy would be in fact trying to kill my poor girlie. :shock: would need to know all their rituals i think.

oh i dont think we have birds here that will hunt dragons, lol, not that i know of anyway, dragons are not native here so wouldnt have thought it but ill be keeping an eye in the sky then, even more reason to have a leash if im not even looking at my dragons and too busy in the sky. well hope Mischief relaxes soon enough, im going to look into making my own now i think i seriously could not go to the vet and say "mr vet i broke my dragons leg" that would not be good and my insurance certainly wouldnt pay up, not to mention they may in fact call the rspca, oh my goodness hark at me, enough of that talk ay, not going to happen. definitely making my own or hell have to put up with his own uv and light. lol

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
The only problems I have had with leashes is finding/making one that fits right enough that she can't slip out of!

I'm worried that if I put her in a harness and she gets scared and tries to scurry off she will end up slipping out of her harness.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
ErinMeetsMachine":bfde3 said:
The only problems I have had with leashes is finding/making one that fits right enough that she can't slip out of!

I'm worried that if I put her in a harness and she gets scared and tries to scurry off she will end up slipping out of her harness.

understandable, but to me, the leash is something to buy you 5 seconds to scoop the beardie up in your hands if something happens, not to be the fail safe to fully control it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom