Beardie is sick from toad toxin. ( ingestion of Bufotoxin.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I am asking to see if anyone has had this issue!
I am in a situation that I have found to be very rare.
On May 13 at around 9 PM, my six year old bearded dragon had taken a bite of a gulf coast toad. However, he did not ingest the frog nor got any “meat”from the toad. After biting the toad he realized that it was a bad taste. I believe that the toad had secreted a toxin which he DID ingest.
I then began to notice that he was turning black in the beard and a half of his tail. I started freaking out and calling all of the vets. I took him to the specialty vet at around 1 AM. They gave him fluids, however since the vet fees were so high I decided to take him back on the 14th. Since then today he has been minimally responsive and very limp BUT he is still breathing and has lost the black beard and tail color. I have been soaking him and Pedialyte diluted with water and I have been giving him Pedialyte from my finger which he licks off if I stimulate him.
It has been over 24 hours since he ingested the toxin which makes me think he will push through this. Please let me know if you have any advice on what I should do.

I am very nervous and I believe that this is uncharted territory due to my research that I’ve done.
Please help me with this it is much appreciated!

Oh my goodness! How the heck did he get a toad to chomp? Is he running around outside? If your going to take him outside please at least get one of those round gates like you can put around babies and sit with him. Id hate to see you lose your baby! I don't think its the taste that did that. Some are poisonous!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am actually surprised that the vet didn't flush his system with activated charcoal. You
should be able to find some at a local drug store or a health food store in either powder
or capsule form.
If not, you can try blending up some cilantro, parsley, mint, basil & oregano into a paste
or liquid & give to him daily to help with detoxing.
Keep him a little warmer overnight to help his system metabolize toxins.

Tracie

Skylarson222

Original Poster
Thank you! I will definitely get that. Also, this morning he held his head up, looked at me, and ATE his worms! He is still drinking pedialyte however I will get the activated charcoal and try that on him thank you so much.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Agree, the vet should have used activated charcoal. Wouldn't be very happy with my vet if they didn't even do that, as that is literally the first thing you want to do when a toxin has been ingested.
For that reason it's always a good idea to have some of it in your beardie emergency kit. The sooner you can administer it, the better chance you have.

Keep up the extra hydration, it's promising that he seems to be improving.

-Brandon

Skylarson222

Original Poster
I have a question, when I get the charcoal, how do I administer it? Do you still think I should move forward with it if he is alert?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great he seems to be doing fine! Since he isn't showing any signs of toxicity &
illness then he should be out of the woods.
I would consider getting some charcoal though just in the case that you do need it in
case of an emergency.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom