Beardie instantly puffs up if outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmcnick

Hello! I have a 2 and a half year old Beardie, love him to death. I have some questions however. Firstly, if I wake him up to feed him he puffs up at me (early in the day). I try not to wake him up because of that unless absolutely necessary, which is very rare. Secondly, and more importantly in my opinion, is when I take him outside. It's very strange. He'll be perfectly fine, but once I take him outside he puffs up and acts very nervous and often when he sees my face he puffs up more. Is this normal behavior? Should I be concerned? Thanks!

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
I have two very grumpy wakers, I don't think that's anything out of the ordinary but maybe someone who's experienced that can speak to it.

As far as going outside, my two boys didn't have much of a reaction at all to being outside, one was a little skittish at first but adjusted very quickly. My girls on the other hand become strangers outside, they puff up and open their mouths at me as if they have no idea who I am. It gets better over time but I still have to be careful around the girls and not make any sudden movements. Wide open spaces where birds are flying overhead tend to make it worse. If he hasn't been taken outside since he was young, it's just going to take some time to adjust to it but if you keep doing it, he should eventually start to calm down some outside.

nmcnick

Original Poster
Thank you! I just thought it might be nice for him to get some natural uvb every now and then. I may just try to make an enclosure or get a viv to take outside that I can put him in for a bit to let him get used to it. Thanks a ton!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom