Beardie hiding, not eating, white poop

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoLo

Beardie (12", 100g) had been pretty active/eating bugd well (veggies not as much) but started hiding a few days ago and has stopped eating. I have tried to give him moist, sweet fruit (apples, cantaloupe) and roaches but he's not eating at all.

I have a T5 22" reptisun 8" above the basking spot and a 75w reptisun baking bulb. Basking spot at 100 degrees. Cool spot at 75. Terrarium is 24"×48"

I just got a ceramic heater to keep it a bit warmer at night (70-75) so maybe that's part of it.

Also, his poop today was totally white.

Attachments

• 20211221_180347.jpg
    20211221_180347.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 20211221_180414.jpg
    20211221_180414.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Beardie (12", 100g) had been pretty active/eating bugd well (veggies not as much) but started hiding a few days ago and has stopped eating. I have tried to give him moist, sweet fruit (apples, cantaloupe) and roaches but he's not eating at all.

I have a T5 22" reptisun 8" above the basking spot and a 75w reptisun baking bulb. Basking spot at 100 degrees. Cool spot at 75. Terrarium is 24"×48"

I just got a ceramic heater to keep it a bit warmer at night (70-75) so maybe that's part of it.

Also, his poop today was totally white.
He is dehydrated the poop is chalky and dried out looking - please offer him water -- The T 5 is in the tank or top of screen? This is very important-- dragons get most of their hydration from the greens - please rinse before serving -- they wont eat if they are dehydrated -- I would get him some hornworms they are a hydrating worm and grow very fast so order small amounts if your order them and I would get smalls to medium if you can -- make sure the insects are good a gut loaded - I feed dubias and feed them in the evening so the eat at nite and are gut loaded in the morning when you feed the dragon --

JoLo

Original Poster
Thanks! Bulb isn't obstructed but right over basking spot. Gave him a bath and have started misting him. He's moving around a bit more (not hiding as much) and ate some roaches and apples yesterday. Did not eat today though. Wondering if he might also have a vitamin deficiency. Mixed in dry food a few weeks ago for veggies which he seems not to have been eating much.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks! Bulb isn't obstructed but right over basking spot. Gave him a bath and have started misting him. He's moving around a bit more (not hiding as much) and ate some roaches and apples yesterday. Did not eat today though. Wondering if he might also have a vitamin deficiency. Mixed in dry food a few weeks ago for veggies which he seems not to have been eating much.
T 5 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor-- did he drink in the bath? Are you feeding fresh salads or only dry food ?

JoLo

Original Poster
T 5 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor-- did he drink in the bath? Are you feeding fresh salads or only dry food ?
Yes-12" above basking decor.

Did mostly dry for a few weeks. Just switched back to salads (collards, spinach, kale).

He did not drink in the bath.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes-12" above basking decor.

Did mostly dry for a few weeks. Just switched back to salads (collards, spinach, kale).

He did not drink in the bath.
Is he eating the salads? Rinse the greens before serving he will get moisture from them

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You might try dripping some water on his nose and see if he licks it up. If he doesn't drink from a bowl or eat many fresh veges, that's a good way to try offering some hydration. Hornworms might also be a good option for grabbing some attention and providing hydration.

JoLo

Original Poster
You might try dripping some water on his nose and see if he licks it up. If he doesn't drink from a bowl or eat many fresh veges, that's a good way to try offering some hydration. Hornworms might also be a good option for grabbing some attention and providing hydration.
So I gave the cage a good cleaning and changed the substrate (newspaper) and that seemed to coax him out. He had a small breakfast of roaches. He also just pooped a LOT (for the first time in a few days) and the poop seems normal (a little white at the end but mostly greyish). I also fed him some grapes for hydration. Now he has greens to munch on. We'll see if he eats them.

Wondering if the dirty substrate was making him hide and poop less leading to less eating.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad he pooped and is eating again. It's possible the substrate was causing an issue/stress, but not necessarily. Some of them don't seem to care, but a lot of them will try to poop as far away from food and basking spots as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom