Beardie Hiding and not Basking

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarich

Juvie Member
Sorry, bit of confusion I guess. The site I put the link up for is by Fran, the yahoo group I mentioned after that is the one I said has some designers, as well as other experts on it. Didn't mean to cause confusion there.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
kbro":2okr1l9k said:
Ok thank you! So one thing I havnt found out and am curious about is when using the meter, what is the ideal reading you want the beardie to get?

I guess she is updating all the readings now so they are not available :(
So no comparing bulbs right now.

The readings for the Solar Meter 6.2 measure differently. With the 6.5, I strive for about a 6.0 to 7.0 reading, if it drops down to 3.0, then it tells me it's time to order a new bulb. If the reading is 8.0 or above, I know the bulb needs to be higher.

Thought I would also mention that Frances Baines is a member on this forum (username Lilacdragon). Here's a thread where she made some posts. viewtopic.php?f=34&t=160275&p=1477011#p1477011

Quelaag

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So I have the Reptisun 10.0 24 inch 17 Watt bulb in my Amazon cart. do you guys think it will be long enough? His enclosure is 36 inches long and they have a 36 inch bulb, but I feel that with the addition of the lamp fixture it wouldn't fit if I got one that size.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The 24" for that size tank should be good because it's best to have an area where there is no UVB so they can escape it if they need to.

Quelaag

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
diamc":3dm88c94 said:
The 24" for that size tank should be good because it's best to have an area where there is no UVB so they can escape it if they need to.

If that's the case do you think I should go smaller or does the extra 12 inches give him enough space to get away if need be? I'm scared I'm going to risk over exposing him.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I actually think 24" is perfect for the 40 gallon and I'm sure he won't be 6 to 8" from it everywhere in his tank.

Quelaag

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
diamc":wpl6llrw said:
I actually think 24" is perfect for the 40 gallon and I'm sure he won't be 6 to 8" from it everywhere in his tank.

Thank you! And I'll be sure to arrange any additional things I add to his tank to be no closer than that distance from the bulb. Now I just need to run off to Walmart to get his fixture and finalize how I'm going to safely hold it in place! I'm thinking of using picture hanger-like command strips, but I feel like I'd still need to reinforce it with something else to make sure it doesn't fall. Hm...

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
When I had the Repti-Sun's and a strip hood, I used metal shelf brackets which we bent around the top of the tank and then around the hood and it worked very well.

jarich

Juvie Member
Quelaag":2rcuc2rj said:
diamc":2rcuc2rj said:

Thank you! And I'll be sure to arrange any additional things I add to his tank to be no closer than that distance from the bulb. Now I just need to run off to Walmart to get his fixture and finalize how I'm going to safely hold it in place! I'm thinking of using picture hanger-like command strips, but I feel like I'd still need to reinforce it with something else to make sure it doesn't fall. Hm...

If you are able, I would recommend you buy the Zoomed fixture. They are a better fixture than you'll find at Walmart and will give you the full output if the bulb.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree with Jarich that a Zoomed hood would be much better as far as UV output goes. That's why I used the strip hoods with the metal shelf brackets to hold them as they are heavier than the Walmart fixtures. Here's what I am referring to although this one isn't the Zoomed brand hood but would work well: http://www.amazon.com/All-Glass-Aquarium-AAG26224-Fluorescent/dp/B0002AS6WC/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1398045958&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=strip+hoods%2C+24%22%2C+zoomed They are more expensive but certainly worth it. Make sure you leave the plastic cover off of the fixture or hood if it comes with one.

kbro

Hatchling Member
Yeah, I use a aqueon I think, it's for fish tanks I think, it's what the breeder recommended. I have one of the exo terra light cycle units too, but I don't really like it much. I've just heard other people say you could use anything. I would believe the other two posters though, they both have light meters (I think jarich said they did).
You can always try hanging it from the screen as well, as long as it's one of those strong metal screens, I've done that before too. I don't know if you saw my picture earlier showing how I did it for Bam Bam's light.

So he must be out and about now since you have decided to get the reptisun? Is it warm enough yet outside there? On Easter I took both of mine out, it was 70 here and beautiful out. I have a pop up dog play pen thing that I got for 5 bucks at goodwill brand new that I put them in. Pebbles loved it, Bam Bam was skittish and scared I think. I'm sure it was the first time ever for them. If you have a way to let him have some real Sun for 15 to 30mins (I wouldn't do more than 30), like a tall Rubbermaid tote or like it so he can't escape. That way he can get some good uvb if you just wanted to leave the mvb off in his tank until the reptisun comes.
Btw when it was 70 here I was reading basking spots of 100-115 or more depending on material so bring your temp gun out, I had to put a old t-shirt in the bottom since the bottom is black it was reading like 120. And you will have to sit there with him and watch him, you don't want him escaping (or getting scared to death or prey for something else).

Oh, btw JARICH I'm sorry, I must have read your post wrong or just didn't understand that you meant the Yahoo group was the one that had the bulb designers posting there as well. The uv guide site is great and thanks for posting the link it's been a while since I've read the site, hopefully she gets the updates done soon.

timisimaginary

Hatchling Member
kbro":31hp1ap2 said:
I am starting to wonder about the powersun. I have only used one once and didn't have a good experience. I personally don't think they have been tested enough no matter how many people say they are good. The owner of a local reptile store and breeder of tons of bearded dragons by me does not even sell them. He found thru his own testing the uvb was not correct after a couple months (i wish I would have had this info before). The only bulb he sells and recommends is the reptisun 10.0. I know how expensive the mvb are, maybe try calling zoo med and seeing if you could somehow exchange the powersun with a couple of reptisuns. Explain you are having problems with it and would rather just get the trusted reptisun instead or at least a new powersun. It's worth a try since the powersuns have a 1 year warranty. Does it make any noises? Is it possible it got knocked around at all? Those bulbs are pretty sensitive.

a little late to this, but i can verify that the powersun is not a very good bulb. i tested mine and the output in the "sweet spot" directly below the lamp was less than my T8 reptisun 10.0 from the same distance. and being a basking light, that UVB fell off to basically nothing outside the sweet spot. it sure put out a lot of heat though.

it could have been a defective bulb, it's the only one i've ever tested, but if you don't have a uvb meter how would you know if yours is defective or not?

i've tested a few megarays and they've all put out decent UVB, though the new T5 reptisuns put out even more.

kbro

Hatchling Member
It's better late than never Tim. Since we went over pretty much every other possibility it led me to the power Sun (which I'm very Leary of anyways and still have one only used a couple months I won't touch or give to anyone).

I don't know how you would know if there was a malfunction, maybe call zoo med. But if they are supposed to last a year or more, it shouldn't go bad in a couple of months especially for how much they are.

jarich

Juvie Member
kbro":3et0kfys said:
Oh, btw JARICH I'm sorry, I must have read your post wrong or just didn't understand that you meant the Yahoo group was the one that had the bulb designers posting there as well. The uv guide site is great and thanks for posting the link it's been a while since I've read the site, hopefully she gets the updates done soon.

No problem at all! I just didnt want anyone to get confused so figured I should clarify. I actually think both sites are great sources of information, but thats up to the reader of course. For instance, Bob from MegaRay, though a designer, is one of the people I have learned the most from regarding lighting over the years. Super knowledgeable guy and incredibly helpful and friendly. Because of all the testing they do with each bulb, they come to understand things a lot better than the average person. Of course he does think his bulbs are the best, but then again he does have some pretty amazing bulbs too! ;) Steve, who designs and makes the Solarmeters we all use, is a person who posts on the UVBmeterownersgroup too, so an invaluable person for information about testing lighting and such. Fran, who made the other site, posts there all the time too. Its honestly the best source for reptile lighting information on the net.

The MegaRay are the only MVBs Ive ever really found reliable. Ive had the one I have now for close to two years and its still giving off great levels of UV. The ExoTerra MVBs really dont seem worth the money at all and the Powersuns Ive had seem incredibly variable. Some dropping off after only three months, some lasting longer, but never really coming close to the MegaRay. Ive never had the Arcadia MVB before so cant comment on them specifically, but they are a great brand generally. The one advantage of MVBs over the fluorescents is the much higher levels of UVA and of course the overall brightness. Unfortunately fluorescents, even the T5s, dont have much of either by comparisons. However, if you have the means, Id also recommend looking into the newer metal halides that are out. Surprisingly Exo Terra makes a fantastic one called the Sun Ray. Great spectrum, really good UV output and they come in three wattages so you can control the heat a bit easier.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Bob MacCargar from reptile uv is a great guy. I have talked to him over the phone and he is always willing to answer questions and explain the whole lighting concept. I had very good luck with one of his Megarays and when it burnt out, he sent me a replacement that was defective and another that was producing to much UV output. That was years ago when they were causing eye issues since the company that manufactures the bulb changed one of the pieces out in the bulbs construction. Then when they tried to fix the problem, it caused the frosting to flake and peel so the eye issues continued. I believe that everything is straightened out now although I haven't purchased another Megaray and thought I never would purchase another MVB. But, when the Arcadia MVB's became available in the U.S., I did some research and conversed with Todd at www.lightyourreptiles.com and he assured me that the Arcadia bulbs were very good and that he totally guaranteed them, no questions asked. I have now been using the Arcadia MVB's for a couple of years and my beardies love them. The bulbs are putting out a great UV reading even now. Thought I would share this info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom