beardie having seizures??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive got a baby beardie, not sure exactly how old, im guessing around 4 months though. Ive had her for a little over 2 months now and about 3 weeks ago she started having these seizure type attacks. Out of no where, she will get reallyy stiff, her back legs will stretch out behind her completly and sometimes open her mouth and close her eyes, it looked like she was in pain. The bad seizures lasted for about 5 days, and she would do it multiple times a day. Also afterward, she will walk funny with her back legs, but she still had feeling in them when youd touch them. I was thinking maybe shes impacted, she just didn't poop for one day though. But she had been eating around 35 crickets a day, which id make sure were the right size but once in awhile she would catch a bigger one. When it was getting really bad, we tried calling a few exotic vets up, ( i dont have one for her yet) but there was only like 2 that were near by, and they were an hour or more away. we called and for some reason both were closed. So I decided to call the store we got her from, which wasn't a 'chain' pet store, just a local one. and they told us to bring her in and we did. While she was there she didn't have any attacks so he didn't get to quite see everything, but he felt her and said she didn't seem impacted and suggested she has been taking in too much of the calcium powder which can cause a build up inside. So we quit the calcium powder for awhile after that and she gradually got much better, and was back to herself in a week. (but still eating a little less, she's been eating more veggies than crickets now for some reason) and today after about 2 weeks of no spasms, she had an attack again. This time she didnt open her mouth but stiffened up and her back legs out and it lasted for maybe 10 seconds this time, which was pretty long. But this time, she whipped the end of her tail a little bit (which she was shedding, and the shedding came off when she moved it) She had jsut pooped twice today already, and they looked fine. I still havent given her the calcium again, but I think maybe I will start doing that again now slowly. She slowly came back out of the attack and began walking funny with her legs, but after not long she was walking fine again. Now she just seems to be out of energy,like it took alot out of her. Also, she was a little weird to begin with, ever since weve gotten her, whenever anything seems to tickle her a little, such as when i put a small drop of water on her nose, she has a little spaz attack, but she just stiffens, her back legs dont get stiff. But her eyes twitch and everything stiffens. This attack only lasts a second or 2 though and doesnt affect her afterwards at all. also when a cricket will jump on her or something she will do the same little spasm. I know I need to get her to a vet, but i would just like to see if anyone else has experienced this. Maybe the calcium did bother her and she consumed too much, but the water thing is also weird to me, which she has done from the beginning. Maybe she is kind of has sensative skin? and doesnt like things tickling her skin at all? With her attack today, do you think maybe she did all that just to get the shedding piece of skin off her tail cuz it was bothering her? When she was bad a couple weeks ago and had the attacks for like 5 days though i believe she wasn't shedding and she had just finished so I don't know what that was about. Could there be something seriously wrong with her? She eats fine, poops fine, usually has energy except for after her attacks. I have a 100 watt heat lamp, which keeps her basking area between 100-105 degrees. Have a repti glo 10.0 UV bulb, it is a coiled bulb which I have now heard they are bad, and I will get the tube light soon. she's in a 20 gallon right now, I will be upsizing her tank soon. I take her out in the sun about 15 mins almost everyday, when its between 95-100 degrees outside. I alternate between paper towels and reptile carpet for the flooring. She currently has been eating around 20 crickets a day, including some veggies ( collard greens, broccoli and zucchini). I was giving her the calcium powder with D3, 5 days a week and a multivitamin one day a week, after the attacks 3 weeks ago, i stopped giving it to her and she got alot better. I am going to start again but not give her too much. I mist her 2-3 times a day, and bathe her about 2 times a week. I do not take her out of her cage except once day usually because I do not want to stress her, but she is still well tamed and very good with people. Sorry for the extremly long post, advice needed please :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry to hear about your dragon's seizures.
Since you did mention you were using the Reptiglo 10 coil bulb that is most likely going to be the culprit. Your baby is too small for a blood test so I can see why the vet didn't draw blood to test the calcium.
This light does not emit the proper wavelength conducive for D3 synthesis which in turn will & can cause a calcium issue because your dragon wont be able to properly absorb the calcium you have been giving him no matter how much you give her. It can get excessive in the system causing calcification & softening of the bones because of poor absorption.
Once you get the proper UVB light, the Reptisun 10 tube or the Arcadia D3 12% tube, she will be able to begin absorbing his calcium.
It is crucial that you do get her outside for a bit of sunshine while waiting for the light to get there for you.

Do you have any pictures of her? How is his appetite now?
What type of substrate are you using, sand, tiles, paper towels?
Tracie

The only thing i have seen in bearded dragons known to cause seizures is MBD. Another symptom of MBD ive seen is muscle twitching(spasms you're talking about) The fact that the pet store told you to quit the calcium just doesnt seem right to me. Also with the reptisun 10.0 tube they dont need the calcium with D3, just plain old calcium is all they need since the reptisun provides enough UVB for them to synthesize D3 all by themselves. How close can she get to her UVB light? with the reptisun 10.0 its recommended that they are able to get 6-8 inches (from the light to their back) away from it without a reflector. Are you dusting all feeder insects or just what the calcium container suggests? Most calcium supplements say to only dust 5 insects a week(totally wrong) all insects should be dusted with calcium supplements 5 days a week and vitamin supplements the other 2 days. In my opinion it really sounds like MBD, only due to the fact that ive never heard any other condition that cause seizures. I hope this helps, and i hope your little girl gets feeling better! GL!

Oh my bad, i thought you said you had reptisun 10.0... If you want to get the reptisun 10.0 bigappleherp.com has an awesome deal on them right now 2 tubes for roughly 35$ 18-48 inch all same price. Or lightyourreptiles.com has the arcadia 12% tube(i personally use these) I would get one of these two asap! GL!

Echoside565

Original Poster
Alright, I should probably get the different bulb as soon as possible. I was going to wait until I get a larger cage for her, but do you think if I got the reptisun 10.0 tube light, as well as some type of hood to contain the bulb, it will be setting directly on top of her cage and right now the cage is only about 1 foot high, and her branch that she always basks on gets up pretty high (i measured about 5 inches from top of cage). So i haven't gotten the new lighting because I'm worried she will be too close to the light. Is there any way to avoid this? Is it too dangerous to get this lighting for her and i should wait until i have a bigger cage? Also the tank is about 2 and a half feet long. For substrate i have been using paper towels, I've feed her twice today so far, and she has eaten a total of 24 crickets ( i usually feed her crickets 2-3 times a day). I don't have any pics of her, but right now she looks ok, and she ate good.

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
The distance shouldn't be a problem as long as she is getting the UVB. If you are worried, you can see if there is a way you can turn the stick to make it lower. As for the fixture, you can get one at walmart or home depot for about 15$ :)

You dont want her to get any closer to the bulbs than 6 inches, so if her basking spot is 5 inches you're gonna want to lower it. If she gets to close to the UVB bulb it can do more harm than good(blindness is one possibility)... If you have to get a bigger basking bulb because her basking temp is too low after lowering the basking spot. Lower it and measure the temp before you get a different heat bulb. as long as the hood isnt a reflector hood it will work, if its a reflector it will reflect too many uv rays down to her basking spot.

Echoside565

Original Poster
alright, thank you so much for everyone who replied. I think i can make it work. I will get it as soon as i can! :)

Echoside565

Original Poster
i went out and bought the repti sun 10.0 tube light, just need to get the hood to hold the light. At the pet store they only had the reflective one, if i buy one at home depot or something will it not be reflective? is there any particular one i should look for? She actually just had another attack, it's really weird lately it seems it is always triggered by something. This time she was climbing down her branch and she kinda slid so she was moving her legs and body to push herself up to where she wanted, but couldnt for some reason, then she just stiffened and twitching then fell (she wasn't high up) and lay there for a few seconds (she also turns very light in color when she has an attack) but then she got back up and was fine. Its like she was just trying to hard to get up then she just spazed out. Also the little attack she gets when something tickles her nose or upper body is strange to me if she does have MBD.. its the same type of spazzing but doesn't last as long. is it possible this could have to do with her brain?

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
You don't really need a reflector. i got my light setup at Home Depot. :) Just make sure its the T-8 (pretty sure thats what the reptisun is) fixture. Then I just put it inside my tank with nails. If you have a glass tank, you can use command strips. :)

Echoside565

Original Poster
alrightt, and if the light i got is 18" long so what size of the setup should i get? and would it be possible to set this on top of the screen or does it need to be inside?

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
The screen cuts off UVB, so ideally it needs to be inside. If you want to rest it on top, you could cut out the mesh where the bulb will be, so the light isn't blocked. :) The fixtures will say the size of the bulb. I got a 28in T-8 bulb fixture that came with a bulb and a plastic cover which I took out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom