Beardie hasn't pooped in three weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spicynfresh

My 8 year old beardie Sunny hasn't pooped in about three weeks, she's never had super frequent poops, about twice a week. However, this is probably the longest she's gone without defecating. I've been bathing her in warm water every day, but she still hasn't gone. There is no loose substrate in her enclosure, since she's on paper towels, so I assume she isn't compacted. I feed her collard greens/kale for her greens, brussel sprouts or squash for veg, and mealworms for protein about 3 times a week. I don't think the temp of her basking spot would be an issue either, as it stays within 105-110 degrees F. She has been quite lethargic, though. Please give advice on what could help her, as I'm getting very concerned. Thank you!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Spicynfresh":kod1hk8h said:
My 8 year old beardie Sunny hasn't pooped in about three weeks, she's never had super frequent poops, about twice a week. However, this is probably the longest she's gone without defecating. I've been bathing her in warm water every day, but she still hasn't gone. There is no loose substrate in her enclosure, since she's on paper towels, so I assume she isn't compacted. I feed her collard greens/kale for her greens, brussel sprouts or squash for veg, and mealworms for protein about 3 times a week. I don't think the temp of her basking spot would be an issue either, as it stays within 105-110 degrees F. She has been quite lethargic, though. Please give advice on what could help her, as I'm getting very concerned. Thank you!

She is very likely impacted because you've been using mealworms as her staple (live ?) feeder insect, the hard exoskeletons are a problem as they are very hard to digest and tend to accumulate in the GIT of dragons.

I'd cut back on the solids until she poos, as more solids will just build up in her GIT and rot there.
Purees and natural laxatives are needed , Try 0.4ml of olive oil given orally every other day , this usually gets my girl Peppa who also saves up her poos ( usually 5 - 12 days between poos for her ).

I'd have the local vet take a looks at her and take an xray of her GIT to see where the impaction is and it's extent. Intervention may be unavoidable.
Since she's lethargic - she's already sick from this accumulation of toxins from the rotting food in her GIT so she's likely too frail to cope with an anima or having the rotting food removed from her GIT mechanically ... (is very dangerous and very traumatic) and it's a last resort IMO .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuexedulichthailan
Top Bottom