beardie has not pooed in 2 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

zac

my beardie norm poops about once a week but has not in 2 weeks. here are the specs i know people will ask,

40 gallon breeder
103 basking point
reptisun 10.0 8 months old
17 inch 3 year old beardie male
will NOT eat any veggies besides squash and carrots and the once in a while a little collard but i do offer a bowl a day for him
3-5 supers a day, in the next week im getting some dubia for him to switch from supers
on tile NOT sand

if you need anything else just ask i will be checking like every 5 minutes..i love this guy and also he is taking a bath as im typing this.

Infowars

I hate to write something you already know, I know it can be scary. My beardie didn't go for 4 days, witch never happens before. After the second bath and rubbing her side and underbelly for about 10 minutes in pretty warm water she went. I NEVER thought I would be so happy to have a reptile go to the bathroom. Good luck keep trying. I also read on her to mix a couple drops of mineral oil with some canned pumkin

Infowars

I only know what ours has done. Wish I had more info for you. Up until about 10 months ours went every day at least once. Now she seems to go every other sometimes. She eats about 30 to 60 reptiworms and in the last month has started adding about a quarter cup of salad each day. Although a few weeks ago I had to bath her to get her to go on a couple occasions.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
I just went through a similar problem with Fluffy. I finally got her to poop on day 6. Quite a long time for her considering she's a daily pooper. In addition to the warm baths and massages, I gave her babyfood and then a couple drops of vegetable oil. I really think it's the oil that did the trick.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
I can only speak for my own and they go much more frequently. That doesn't mean it's a problem, though. Just means I'm not sure. Hopefully someone with more experience will be along soon.

NateS

How old is your beardie? Mine is about 9 years old and he will only go under two situations. If I get him out and let him run around...he will go on the floor in about 20 minutes (only sometimes). He actually went over three weeks without going to the bathroom awhile back and the only thing that helped was a bath. When I bathe him, he always goes in his bath within the first 3-4 minutes. I don't know if it's normal that they go less often or have a harder time going as they get older, but mine seems to be doing fine at about 9yrs old other than the strange poop behavior.

You now, I think some of our capive bred beardies have more survival instincts than others. My male poops everyday, ususally in the same area each time. Occasionally, not very often, he has even pooped on his basking platform. He isn't real concerned with getting away from his feces though. In the wild he probably wouldn't last very long, lol, since predators are probably smart enough to know fresh beardie poop means a beardie meal is nearby.

Now take my female. She doesn't go everyday and is not impacted. I give her babyfood veggies and prunes with a little oil to keep her regular. When she does go in her enclosure, she goes as far away from her favorite spots as possible and then runs like the devil is after her after she goes to get away from the feces. That's about the only time she runs....she tends to walk around at her liesure and is very laid back. She won't go in the bath unless the water is moving, so I will crack the drain and run the faucet and if she is going to go in the tub, that is the only time she will do it. In the wild, pooping in moving water would wash the feces away from the beardie.

A friend of mine and I were talking about this the other day, and he had a beardie that lived for 15 years!!! That was one old beardie! Anyway, he said his hardly ever went in the enclosure. He said he took him out of his encloure so he could run around and exercise 3 or 4 times a week and he would almost always go then. It could of just been from the exercise, or perhaps ingrained survival instincts may have said it isn't wise to poo where you live! Who knows, but sometimes there just isn't an explaination for things and that made sense to me, lol!!

zac

Original Poster
mine was wild caught like 2 years ago so that could be a reason and he is 3 years old now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom