Beardie has a 'hangnail'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
I was holding my beardie, Fred, and he had what seemed to be a yellow hangnail, this wasn't 'attached' to his nail, but it was at the base of the nail, where it connects to his finger, I was wondering if this was something to worry about? I cant get a picture ATM, because he's super fast, and my devices are dead, but I'm charging my phone, and I'll see if I can get a picture.

I'm really worried! :(

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Original Poster
2yuiz4z.jpg

^ Theres the picture, he was really sqruimy so I couldn't get a clear shot, but that's it^

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Original Poster
You know when dogs/cats lose their claws? that's what it looks like, but it's hanging on, and it looks like it's dirty, it's yellow.

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
I'll admit, I've not seen that before. It may just be something that's caught under the first scale of his toe.

Is it firmly attached? Does he complain if you touch it?

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Original Poster
TheDragonKeepers":ms4dqhca said:
I'll admit, I've not seen that before. It may just be something that's caught under the first scale of his toe.

Is it firmly attached? Does he complain if you touch it?
I'm not really sure, I didn't want to touch it because I was afraid I'd hurt him, but I'll try right now. I hope he's okay. :(

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Okay, I just held him for a few minutes and moved the 'hangnail' up and down, he didn't defend himself, (biting, puffing out his beard. Etc.) but his beard was black with stress marks. I calmed him down then set him in his tank to come write this. It looks like a little bit of the top of his nail was peeled off from something, or it could be as you said, something under his nail. I hope I didn't cause him any pain from moving it. :cry: It is firmly attached, yes, because it didn't fall out when I moved it, but it DID move around when I touched it, so it's not that firm of a hold.

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Okiedokie, it probably is a split nail - I'd clip it with a pair of nailclips if I were you - help stop it snagging on things. :)

Normally they split up the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom