Beardie Enclosure Problems - not basking

Status
Not open for further replies.

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
I really like the DHP I am using that with my blue tongue and it’s the only heat source as well but he’s in a 4x2x2 melamine enclosure so it holds heat really well and then the Arcadia t5 12% so a lot like your setup. I’m still using a halogen with my dragon but I want to switch it out for the 80 watt DHP I just can’t figure out if it will be sufficient for the only source of heat without having a heat bulb that creates light as well? I have read a lot of stuff from John Courtney from Arcadia and who developed the DHP and he mentioned in one post from another reptile group I belong to based in the UK that species like dragons need a light source like a halogen next to the DHP to complete all the parts that mimic sun light in our enclosure. So I’m thinking I may run my halogen still and add the DHP as a second basking spot? And he always recommends halogen for heat bulbs as well for basking. I just can’t figure out what I want to do or should I say what’s best for our reptiles lol.
Yeah, and I've also read though that the harsh light from a basking bulb and the constant switching between different lighting can cause eye strain so just having one source is better. Sometimes it's hard to tell what's best. I also have a 48" hood for my 4x2x2 so it covers the whole thing. Mine is a Zen wood panel, so doesn't hold the heat quite as well, hence the need for a CHE. I'm constantly getting new ideas on how to improve it, then second guessing when I get conflicting info. All part of the fun for me honestly, trying to dial everything in as close to perfect as possible. I will say that his coloring looks much less washed out and more vibrant without the basking light. Here's a picture of him giving a good sexy leg pose on his basking spot.
20220304_121950.jpg

Nikkideefit

Original Poster
I really like the DHP I am using that with my blue tongue and it’s the only heat source as well but he’s in a 4x2x2 melamine enclosure so it holds heat really well and then the Arcadia t5 12% so a lot like your setup. I’m still using a halogen with my dragon but I want to switch it out for the 80 watt DHP I just can’t figure out if it will be sufficient for the only source of heat without having a heat bulb that creates light as well? I have read a lot of stuff from John Courtney from Arcadia and who developed the DHP and he mentioned in one post from another reptile group I belong to based in the UK that species like dragons need a light source like a halogen next to the DHP to complete all the parts that mimic sun light in our enclosure. So I’m thinking I may run my halogen still and add the DHP as a second basking spot? And he always recommends halogen for heat bulbs as well for basking. I just can’t figure out what I want to do or should I say what’s best for our reptiles lol.
Thank you, good to know! I need to do some more reading on these forums. I may have to get the same with the halogen light then. I have my guy in a zen habitat so doesn't hold heat super well either but good because I've been having issues with too high humidity and has been better in this enclosure.

Nikkideefit

Original Poster
Yeah, and I've also read though that the harsh light from a basking bulb and the constant switching between different lighting can cause eye strain so just having one source is better. Sometimes it's hard to tell what's best. I also have a 48" hood for my 4x2x2 so it covers the whole thing. Mine is a Zen wood panel, so doesn't hold the heat quite as well, hence the need for a CHE. I'm constantly getting new ideas on how to improve it, then second guessing when I get conflicting info. All part of the fun for me honestly, trying to dial everything in as close to perfect as possible. I will say that his coloring looks much less washed out and more vibrant without the basking light. Here's a picture of him giving a good sexy leg pose on his basking spot. View attachment 68292
Aww what a handsome guy! I have a zen wood panel habitat too and the same rock hut thing that your guy is sitting on. I am the same with going back and forth, so much info out there!

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Hey Smaug how far is your 80watt DHP from the basking surface? I’m running a 70 watt halogen par38 right now and the temps are perfect but I get what your saying about harsh bright light. I got a 2 70 watt halogen’s one has 800 lumens and the other has 1350. Both produce exactly the same basking temperatures but my guy prefers the less bright bulb? Go figure but my dilemma is I’ve got about 18 inches from bulb to basking surface and I’m not sure the 80 watt DHP would work from that distance? I wish they a 100 or 125 watt!!

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Hey Smaug how far is your 80watt DHP from the basking surface? I’m running a 70 watt halogen par38 right now and the temps are perfect but I get what your saying about harsh bright light. I got a 2 70 watt halogen’s one has 800 lumens and the other has 1350. Both produce exactly the same basking temperatures but my guy prefers the less bright bulb? Go figure but my dilemma is I’ve got about 18 inches from bulb to basking surface and I’m not sure the 80 watt DHP would work from that distance? I wish they a 100 or 125 watt!!
The top of his cave in the picture is 13.5" directly underneath and the temps on the top read a pretty consistent 99-104. His hammock on the cool side is closer so he can get his UV over there since my 48" fixture won't fit inside.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Thank you 🙏 hey that 80 watt is a par30 sized bulb just like the 50 watt right? They’ll fit in a mini deep dome right? I have a regular deep dome now but if I got a smaller fixture I could get it closer to the basking surface.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Hey i just realized I called you Smaug I didn’t mean to make up a nickname lol sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom