Beardie eggs...help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darwin2c

So my male bearded dragon just laid eggs, proving that he is a she.
Bought 2 beardies for my daughter, was told that they were both males, odviously not so. She has laid 16 eggs and I have no clue what to do with them. I put some sand in a tupperwear container, puts the eggs in and then covered with more sand. I made the sand moist.....placed them back in the corner of the cage.....not sure what else to do......do I just leave them like this? Would anyone in the Edmonton, Sherwood Park area care to come take the eggs off my hands?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Are the eggs fertile or not?

Obviously if they are housed separately (as they should be...) then they aren't fertile. In this case, you can just toss them.

If you think they are fertile and you don't have the money, time, and equipment to hatch them and raise them, then putting the eggs in a baggie and putting them in the freezer for a few hours is probably the most humane way of disposing of them.

-Brandon

Darwin2c

Original Poster
They are fertile. I candle tested them.
I would have had them in individual housing if I had known that there was a male and female but I was told they were both males.
I'm just not sure what to do with them because I can't find a place here that sells the incubator and waiting for one from ebay is not an option.
My daughter is so excited about the eggs that putting them in the freezer isn't really an option.
I'm going to try a DIY incubator but the petsmart here doesn't sell vermiculite or perlite, not sure what else to use.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Petsmart won't sell that, you are better off finding it at a garden store or home improvement store.

I used a home made incubator too to hatch my first clutch. It worked out pretty well. Although I was prepared for it ahead of time.

As long as you can responsibly hatch eggs (read the sticky at the top of this thread) then go for it. If not, then I think it's better to explain to your daughter the responsibilities of taking care of a pet and making the right decision if you are not able to properly provide what is entailed with hatching eggs. Especially since it will involve living creatures.

But like I said, if you read the sticky, or already have, and have enough money, have enough time, have enough space, then go for it. Hopefully the eggs will be fine until you can get an incubator set up if this is your wish.

-Brandon

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
If you got the beardies from the same place, at the same time, they are more than likely related. These eggs, although fertile, should be disposed of. You can place them in the freezer for a few hours and that will stop the growth. This is entirely humane, since right now, there is nothing alive inside the egg.

Also, you should separate your dragons immediately or this will continue to happen. ALL dragons should be housed separately, regardless of sex. If you had kept 2 males together, 1 would almost certainly lose its life eventually. As males mature into adulthood, they become very territorial and they will fight to the death.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
ChiefsDaddy":1obyymd6 said:
If you got the beardies from the same place, at the same time, they are more than likely related. These eggs, although fertile, should be disposed of.
Good point I didn't even think of Otto.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom