Beardie eats Potted Plants...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so my newer baby beardie has kind of a bad habit of eating anything she finds on the floor, from dried up leaves, pieces of paper, and sometimes even dead bees (yuck). She's about 7 months old (guessing), didn't have too much food before I got her, and she's gotten a bit better since I got her but this still concerns me.

Whenever I'm not looking, she has a small (or really big) habit of jumping into my potted plants and nomming on them like there's no tomorrow. Thing is, she doesn't just eat them, she doesn't chew very much or even at all sometimes and even swallows all the pieces whole sometimes. In most cases I've either gone inside or I'm just turned around and I can't really stop her. When I see her doing this I get her off the plant as quickly as possible. She stopped doing this for a few weeks so I thought it was over, but she started doing it again roughly a week now and so I'm quite a bit concerned. She always has enough food and she's being fed whenever she needs to, basically. I honestly don't understand why she does it! There haven't been any bad effects on her and she runs around and basks in the sun like normal, just this entire thing about eating EVERYTHING is a bit... much.

Anyways I really don't know what kind of plants they are (I kind of get random ones handed to me) so I don't know whether or not they are harmful to her or not... But here's some photos:

esqfde.jpg

She's eaten roughly half of this poor thing, the plant was actually turned around away from me and this was the side I didn't see from where I usually sit, but this was her regular plant, as one might be able to tell.

11l1r7m.jpg

This little guy was also well-hidden among the other plants.

eknfcn.jpg

This was an old one she was eating and she hasn't touched it in a long time.

So are any of these terribly bad for her...? Really hoping not.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....it's nice that she seems to have a great appetite, does she enjoy a good salad every day ? The best greens are turnip, mustard, collard, dandelion, arugula. You can also use clover from the yard as long as you or your neighbors don't use pesticides. My dragons enjoy the leafy part more than the little pink/white flower.

I would strongly advise you not to let her roam free and nibble on your plants....many houseplants are absolutely toxic. If in doubt, just Google it ! I believe that jade, many lilies and some types of pothos [ but not all ] are toxic. You really can't take the chance. Your girl sounds very adventurous, but it's an accident waiting to happen since this forum has threads about beardies eating ballooons, coins, rubber bands, tinsel, string, etc, etc,. You need to supervise her for her own safety, just like a child. So get your girl some good greens but DO keep her away from the houseplants ! :)

KittysuneVGK

Original Poster
I always feed her before I let her go out, and she always has salad lying around. She's always stuffed before she even goes outside so I just don't get how she even eats more than what I give her! But alright, none of them seem toxic for her, which is great. I mean before she even goes after the plants her belly is already hanging to the ground like she's overeaten.

sue09

Hatchling Member
Maybe just move the plants while she is out,some of these plants may be toxic but may take a while to poison your dragon, Sue .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom