Beardie driving me bonkers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sooo got spike just over a week ago. He's the oldest of my 4 boys. I took a video of what he does ALL DAY LONG. He can BARELY see one dragon but can't see the others but he knows they are there. I've gotten to the point that I cover the front of his cage constantly so he can't see anything.

I know his cage is a bit small... it's the one he came with, I'm going to be upgrading him to a 40 breeder next month. Had to get the shelving into place first to support the tanks.

Advice?????

beardie1434

Juvie Member
my Gabby used to dance and dig at the glass alot and sometimes she would walk right into the glass. For her I increased her roaming time and that worked for us. Hope this idea might be of some help to you.

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I plan on doing that soon but right now he's a bit out of control. He "charges" alot when I let him out. He was kept strictly in the cage prior so me taking him out to bathe him and stuff has thrown him for a loop.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Can he see your other boys?I am thinking that could be the issue.Its either that or just all of the changes to his surroundings.Either way I dont think its a health issue.In fact I would guess he is a pretty healthy little guy.Dont be suprised if he crashes in a few days and turns into a marshmallow as he is eventually going to exhaust himself. :wink:

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
Wow, he has some serious attitude. Did he come from a one beardie home? Is it possible to put him in his own room so he can get used to being at your house before he has to deal with his new house mates?

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Oh yes, he has some serious attitude. He came from a one beardie home where he was essentially ignored. The mom wouldn't pick him up and the son only did "when he had time". He knows the other boys are in the room but can't really see them anymore. One of the reasons I arranged it the way I did. Right now I have a towel blocking his view of everything trying to get him to calm down. I'm hoping one day of complete privacy, and then I might start letting him view the room again. He's just major alpha male right now. All my other guys are soooooooooooo laid back.

LJean

Extreme Poster
That is what my Oscar has been doing since waking up from brumation. He is making me crazy! I wish I had some advice for you.

ronni1221

Juvie Member
Maybe try to create an area where he can explore and charge all he wants, without getting away from you or hurting himself. Maybe a big pillow and blanket enclosure in a room without the other dragons. Let him feel like he has a territory, without letting him know the others are there. (Maybe cover up the others' cages while he roams the room?)

Can they smell or sense other dragons without seeing them, I wonder?

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I think they can hear them but maybe not sense them. My other guys don't show any real dominance towards each other. I can bathe and feed them all together and they don't fight. I need to figure out something to do because he's gonna give me gray hair... ohhhh wait I already have that.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
He needs to have a area to roam around in, might tire himself out that way. Hes a pretty boy!

He looks and acts EXACTLY like my Harley! And I'm at a loss myself about what to do? My Harley runs from one side of his viv to the other, glass dances constantly, head bobs and black beards all day long. Sigh. It's exhausting (for both of us). And like your Spike, he also charges when he's out as well. It's all very frustrating because when Harley has his calm moments, he's an absolute sweetheart but they're so rare these days.

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yes, it is exhausting. I try to let him out until he misbehaves. I'm just scared he's going to move faster than I can catch sometimes.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
I love head bobbing!!!!!! It is sooooooooo cute!!! That's half of the reason I got a male beardie. The head bobs are adoreable. The other half of the reason is that I'm terrified out of my wits about my beardie becoming egg-bound. :oops:

Rock on, Spike! :love5: Great beard, too! Tell him he looks really scary.

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Haha.... I love head bobbing too.... but not ALL DAY LONG. I swear he acts like that video all day. It's tiring to hear. He did finally eat some yesterday but whoosh the boy wears me out.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
I think its a bit of a mix.
One he's in a new home, with new smells and sights and he needs to make you and your other dragons know that he IS big and scary. Ruben was blackbearding constantly for the first few weeks to let me know he was in charge.
Also I think the nose rubbing is a bit of confusion. He can see all these new sights and he wants to look around his new territory and isnt letting the glass stop him!
Also as youve said that teeny tank is just not letting him strut around and have a decent amount of room to himself to feel secure.
Im sure with a new tank he'll settle right down.

Holly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom