Beardie destroying tank after its just been cleaned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceyourface

Hatchling Member
It has been ages since I have used this message board, life happens and it has kept me pretty busy. However, I do still have Thor my lovely lady beardie. I have had Thor since 2011 when she was a tiny hatchling that could fit on my pinky. She's much older and bigger now, ever since she entered adulthood she has been a glass surfer. It's irritating but I know its something some beardies do and she may just be bored. It just seems like especially now that no matter what I do, she feels the need to pace her tank and scratch the glass. I can take her out and let her roam in my room or bask in my window like she loves, but the minute she's back in her tank and warms up a bit she's back at it. Even after she's had a nice meal and a bath she still does it. I don't know what else to do with her. Also lately she will be perfectly fine basking in her tank and then I clean her tank. I lay down fresh newspaper rearrange her fake plants, and put a nice fresh bowl of greens and veggies for her. She will eat some and bask for a bit, but then immediately destroy all the hard work I put in to making it nice and clean for her. She knocks over all her plants, rips up the news paper, walks through the bowl of food getting the food everywhere. Within an hour the tank goes from being clean and fresh to looking like I haven't cleaned it in weeks. What could be causing this behavior? Is it possibly too hot in the tank? I don't believe she's gravid, she's only ever been gravid and laid eggs once about a year or two ago. She's not technically in a teenager phaze anymore either because of her age. I tried taping the newspaper to the sides of the tank once and it helped keep it all together a bit longer, but she eventually ripped up the newspaper and it was hard to take out all the newspaper when it was time to clean it again. Anyone have any advice? :|

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Maybe she really needs more mental stimulation.

Get hold of some brown wrapping paper, a nice long sheet , roll it and crumble it up so it's like long paper crumply snake , put it in one corner of her tank and I'll bet she''ll soon discover it and the noise it makes when she crawls over and through and under it, and if she's anything like my Rex, she'll be fascinated by the sound it makes and the feel of it under her and she''ll now have something to do when "stuck" in her tank.

BTW how large is her tank ?

.... If it's less than about 120gal ( 4ft long x 2ft wide x 2ft tall ) it's too small for her.

What are the tank temperatures ?
..... basking spot /
..... warm zone /
..... cool zone /

and what is her photoperiod ( hours the lights and heat are on per day ) ?

Aceyourface

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Terry15":w2agjhgv said:
I use the non adhesive shelf liner. It's so easy to clean. I just wipe it with a paper towel.

Good idea! Maybe I will go out today and get some of that. :D Newspaper has been the best substrate for me so far. I used to use repticarpet which claims its easy to clean, but I feel like there was always urates dried on it no matter how quickly its cleaned up. Newspaper is cheaper and easier to clean. However shelf liner might be the way to go here.

Mysty

Juvie Member
Maybe Thor's saying. "Rarr, hooman. Only I'm allowed to mess with these things." Rampage ensues.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Aceyourface":pcr2w87l said:
Terry15":pcr2w87l said:
I use the non adhesive shelf liner. It's so easy to clean. I just wipe it with a paper towel.

Good idea! Maybe I will go out today and get some of that. :D Newspaper has been the best substrate for me so far. I used to use repticarpet which claims its easy to clean, but I feel like there was always urates dried on it no matter how quickly its cleaned up. Newspaper is cheaper and easier to clean. However shelf liner might be the way to go here.

Sheets of kitchen grade paper toweling work great, if they want to tare it up, that's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom