Beardie defecated while in brumation, waking up now and then and moving strangely

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Hi,

I've have my bearded dragons for almost 5 years, each year a successful brumation.
This time around, he has a semi black beard while he is in his hide sleeping, something he has not had before in previous brumations.
He sleeps for 2-3 days, then he wakes up a little bit and moves positions, sleeps for another 2-3, then moves around, each time he moves around he tends to move out of his hide into the light.
But he is crawling...in the past when he brumates and wakes up, he would lift up his head and stick it out of his hide, but this time he won't lift up his head at all. Now he crawls into the light and even falls asleep underneath the uvb light
This morning, I found he defecated in his hide, so I took him out, gave him a warm bath, cleaned out his tank, and he is back in.
I took him to the vet last week, and the vet said he is fine, said that if I want we could have him get blood samples, but he said he doesn't need it.

He has a UVB tube fixture that I replaced only 2 months ago, the Reptisun T5HO 10.0 UVB

Any advice would be greatly appreciate it

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi,

I've have my bearded dragons for almost 5 years, each year a successful brumation.
This time around, he has a semi black beard while he is in his hide sleeping, something he has not had before in previous brumations.
He sleeps for 2-3 days, then he wakes up a little bit and moves positions, sleeps for another 2-3, then moves around, each time he moves around he tends to move out of his hide into the light.
But he is crawling...in the past when he brumates and wakes up, he would lift up his head and stick it out of his hide, but this time he won't lift up his head at all. Now he crawls into the light and even falls asleep underneath the uvb light
This morning, I found he defecated in his hide, so I took him out, gave him a warm bath, cleaned out his tank, and he is back in.
I took him to the vet last week, and the vet said he is fine, said that if I want we could have him get blood samples, but he said he doesn't need it.

He has a UVB tube fixture that I replaced only 2 months ago, the Reptisun T5HO 10.0 UVB

Any advice would be greatly appreciate it
Check his weight-- where is the T 5? inside the tank or top of screen? and is the screen a wide hole or a fine mesh?

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Check his weight-- where is the T 5? inside the tank or top of screen? and is the screen a wide hole or a fine mesh?
He is 425 grams, the T5 is mounted on top of the tank, there is no screen on top of the tank.

(on the top is a toy beardie, people get it confused since it looks realistic)

Attachments

• steve 1.jpg
    steve 1.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 84
  • steve 222.jpg
    steve 222.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 85

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Forgot to mention that when he defecated while inside his hide, I don't think he moved one bit for it. When I checked on him this morning, he crawled out of his hide, and he had feces underneath him on his tail and around that area, so he must have defecated while laying completely still. This worries me

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Are you keeping him hydrated while he is brumating? Maybe try giving him some water when he wakes a bit. If you still have the poo from this morning maybe drop it at the vet for a fecal test.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Are you keeping him hydrated while he is brumating? Maybe try giving him some water when he wakes a bit. If you still have the poo from this morning maybe drop it at the vet for a fecal test.
I don't think I have kept him hydrated while is he brumating, although before brumation he was well hydrated, I always mist his veggies with water. I don't have his fecal unfortunately, I should have kept it. I looked at the fecal this morning when it happened and it still had the white part, so doesn't that mean he had at least some liquid in him? He started brumating about 3 weeks ago, and before that, even a week or two before, he was very alert, walking around my room, eating fine, etc.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I would try to give him at least a little when he is awake, in the wild they burrow into the ground, I've read they derive some hydration from being in contact with the ground, they can't do that in captivity. I hope he is ok i know its stressful when we think something is off with them, maybe reach out to Tracie directly her handle is @Drache613 she is a vet tech.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He is 425 grams, the T5 is mounted on top of the tank, there is no screen on top of the tank.

(on the top is a toy beardie, people get it confused since it looks realistic)
He looks ill- please get him into the vet-- www.arav.org
If your in a small town type in a bigger cities zip code closest to you

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh no, I just started to read this and so sorry to hear that he died, what a terrible shock for you. :( I was going to say that sleeping with a dark black beard is a sign that something is wrong. I'm so sorry that whatever it was took him quickly. Not your fault, just a freak occurrence.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I even took him to the vet two times in august, and both times the vet said he was perfectly fine. something must have happened this past week. I've cried so much today that my head hurts. I took him to the vet to get cremated. I asked about an autopsy, but they said they dont do that there and I needed to go to UC Davis (7-8 hours away from me). So I'm picking up his ashes in 7-14 days. He lived so a happy and healthy life for almost 6 years. Always good in terms of weight, always the calmest, tamest and friendliest dragon. I will miss him sleeping on my lap at night while I watch movies, watching him miss the dubia roach/superworm/cricket passing in front of him with his tongue then turning his eyes to me like "put it back in front of me". I miss him so much already. He was my best friend.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He was well loved and had a great life with you. A few guesses as to what may have happened are possible tumor, liver failure, aneurysm, stroke. It's so hard to lose them, especially so suddenly.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry that you lost him suddenly like that, while he was trying to brumate.:cry:
I was going to say that he definitely should have had a blood test. I have a feeling that it was
probably kidney or liver related. It is hard to know for sure, without an autopsy. It is never easy
to lose them, it really rips your soul apart.
My condolences to you.

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom