Beardie Care Sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
AllanonsWrath":3np11tr5 said:
That fixture is fine for a T8 ReptiSun 10.0 It's a T8 fixture. You do not need to buy the really expensive fixtures from reptile supply stores, you're wasting money if you do.

Agreed, any T8 fixture as long as its the right length for your bulb will work. It doesn't have to be a fancy reptile brand.

-Brandon

saleen89559

Juvie Member
Most of those $10 fixtures from Walmart are worth it because if you get a more expensive light from lets say Home Depot, the ballast in them is more expensive than the light half the time. At least at Walmart, if it goes out, $10 is cheaper than just a $35 ballast.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Hey Jonathan,

i just had a quick read through so far.... all looks great :D
I will be back later though, with some UK specific info though ;)

cybercat":1e03d7uu said:
That is not a UVB bulb or fixture. This would be correct type for a UVB http://lightyourreptiles.com/22t5hofihou.html. That is the 22 inch. Bulb would be same price. The correct UVb is a 5T type and requires a special fixture. You can not buy them from Walmart.
Where are you getting this information? When using a reptisun you cannot, under any circumstances, use a T5 fixture.... firstly because they arent the correct length and secondly because the light is too wide. There are very few T5 bulbs that are recommended - the only one currently is the arcadia which is not always accessible.

EDIT - just to add, the standard Arcadia d3 12% is a T8 bulb :)

MissT

BD.org Addict
UK start-up costs
36x18x21 viv (flatpack)- £66 (seapets)
Flourescent fixture for bulb - £15+
Flourescent UVB - Arcadia 12% D3 - £15+
Basking bulb - Price varies - approx £3 for 2 pack of spotlamps in tesco.
Substrate - £5 +
Digi thermometers - ebay - £2+
Basking caves and hides - check out the small animals sections of pet stores/online pet stores - often cheaper than reptile products ;)
Feeding dishes - reptile dishes - £5+ or just use cat food dishes - appox 75p
Feeders for the first week - £14+ (livefoodsdirect)

MissT

BD.org Addict
Oh my.... left out supplements in start up costs!!!!!!

UK - best available are exo-terra calcium and vitamin supplements - approx £3 each :)

bltkpo

Juvie Member
Hi Jonathan. Here are some (my) costs for Bindy, Canadian numbers.

Canadian Start-Up Costs
Exo Terra Large Glass Terrarium (36 x 18 x 19) - $200 (New) .. Found one online (kijiji aka craigslist) for $90
Flourescent fixture for bulb - $30+ (haven't looked at Walmart for an under-the-counter fixture)
Flourescent UVB - Repti-Sun 10.0 Tube - $30
Basking bulb - Price varies - $15 name brand, $5 no name brand.
Substrate - Tile - $11
Digi thermometers - ZooMed - $15
Basking caves and hides - $10 - $30 dependant on size/model.
Feeding dishes - $15
Feeders for the first week - $24 (300 cricks @ $8/100)
Repashy supplements (calc and vit) - $10

If this gives any insight.

Dracosmommy

Juvie Member
bltkpo - Can I ask where you are getting the reptisun 10.0 for $30? I'm in Mississauga Ontario and haven't seen them under $40 to $45. If you can let me know I would sure appreciate it as I have to replace mine soon. :mrgreen:
Rosanne

bltkpo

Juvie Member
Dracosmommy":3m9fhca8 said:
bltkpo - Can I ask where you are getting the reptisun 10.0 for $30? I'm in Mississauga Ontario and haven't seen them under $40 to $45. If you can let me know I would sure appreciate it as I have to replace mine soon. :mrgreen:
Rosanne
Hi! I live in Alberta - and it actually look a lot of hunting to find a Repti-sun. :( Turns out our local Petland carries them, at around that price range. It sucks hey? So hard to find things for our scaly babies up here. Specifically lights and bugs (We hardly get access to horn or silk worms, ugh)

Dracosmommy

Juvie Member
bltkpo":198mweme said:
Dracosmommy":198mweme said:
Rosanne
Hi! I live in Alberta - and it actually look a lot of hunting to find a Repti-sun. :( Turns out our local Petland carries them, at around that price range. It sucks hey? So hard to find things for our scaly babies up here. Specifically lights and bugs (We hardly get access to horn or silk worms, ugh)
Thanks for answering. The reptile shop I bought Draco in sells the Repisun but he's a little expensive. Petsmart sells them here but they charge a lot. I don't have any problem with bugs though. There's a small pet shop that sells 250 crickets for $14 and their silks and horns are about 50 cents each. Their butters are 75 cents each. The more you buy the price gets cheaper though. I get mealies for my gecko for $4 for 100 of them. Between my gecko and Draco I get 500 crickets a month. Our little scaly babies aren't cheap but I wouldn't trade them for the world. :mrgreen: They always make me laugh with their antics. Wouldn't you love to get reptiworms? I've had no luck finding them here in Ontario. If you do find a place here in Canada that ships then the shipping is ridiculous and not worth the bother. Oh well, I agree, it does suck!!!
Rosanne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom