beardie can't lift herself up

Evil_Axolotl

Beardie name(s)
Pomegranate
She just layed infertile eggs a few days ago, I wasn't prepared at all and that is my fault but now shes not acting right suddenly. she wasn't eating much the first few days but she ate a lot of roaches yesterday. I thought it was ok, she drank a lot of water yesterday and there was some mucus? I just thought to keep an eye on her. Today she is not able to walk very well and she has no energy. I called the emergency vet but she told me that shes not the exotic pet expert and to just soak her in Pedialyte and that she'll be ok till tomorrow morning when the exotic expert is there. Im going to get the pedialyte but I thought maybe some of you could help me out too. what could this be? what are some things I could try? I was worried that she's egg bound but I dont feel any lumps in her stomach and shes not scratching like she did before she layed.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Can you post a picture of her and her setup?

How many eggs did she lay? Did you give her a dig box?

You said there was mucous? Where was this?

-Brandon

Evil_Axolotl

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pomegranate
Hi there,

Can you post a picture of her and her setup?

How many eggs did she lay? Did you give her a dig box?

You said there was mucous? Where was this?

-Brandon
Here's a picture of her cage and the eggs that she layed. Right now I have her soaking it water, she pooped a bit which is a good sign I think but she still can't move very well. I didn't provide her a digbox, I was not prepared at all and wasn't able to get the dirt and sand before she layed them I'm sorry. The mucus was right after she drank water yesterday I believe it came out of her mouth after she came up from drinking.

Attachments

• 20230625_174049.jpg
    20230625_174049.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 20230625_174106.jpg
    20230625_174106.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 20230620_210938.jpg
    20230620_210938.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 52

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a nice setup. I like that log cave.

She looks ok. Were you able to count the eggs she laid? From the picture, it looks like she likely got them all out. She is likely very tired from the whole ordeal.

She might be feeling a little sickly too if she aspirated some water in the bath. Make sure you keep her a bit warmer overnight (shoot for the low 80s' with a CHE, no light at night). That will help keep her immune system going to help get her back on track.

Has she ate today? What did her poo look like today? Normal?

The soaking in Pedialyte isn't going to do anything. Not unless she drinks it. Beardies don't absorb moisture/liquid from soaking. That's a myth that has been long debunked.

-Brandon

Evil_Axolotl

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pomegranate
That's a nice setup. I like that log cave.

She looks ok. Were you able to count the eggs she laid? From the picture, it looks like she likely got them all out. She is likely very tired from the whole ordeal.

She might be feeling a little sickly too if she aspirated some water in the bath. Make sure you keep her a bit warmer overnight (shoot for the low 80s' with a CHE, no light at night). That will help keep her immune system going to help get her back on track.

Has she ate today? What did her poo look like today? Normal?

The soaking in Pedialyte isn't going to do anything. Not unless she drinks it. Beardies don't absorb moisture/liquid from soaking. That's a myth that has been long debunked.

-Brandon
It makes me upset that the vet gave me bad advice like that... thank you for helping and being nice. She may have breathed some water in yesterday and that made her sick? Some water came out of her nose. Is the mucus a sign that the breathed some in? What could the mucus be from? I know she didn't breathe any in today from the bath I was keeping a very close eye on her. She hasn't eaten today, I think I'll try again in a bit but when I first discovered she was like this I tried to feed her and she wouldn't eat. The poop seemed pretty solid, I don't regularly examine that sort of thing but I think it was more solid than usual, but other than that it was normal. My cage doesn't support CHE bulbs, it said not to use them when I bought it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She looks good overall. I agree, she is probably really tired from laying.
Which UVB are you using currently? I would definitely consider giving a little more calcium for
a few weeks to be sure she is getting enough after her egg laying.
Has her beard been darker than normal or regular color?
Keep trying with getting her to eat, hopefully she will eat soon. If you think she might have inhaled
some water from her bath, you can try placing her on a slight decline overnight to help any fluids drain
out.
Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom